Author Topic: Calcified Discs  (Read 320 times)

Offline KellyT

• Hazel, Jennie & Millie - the 3 Muskaspaniels
Calcified Discs
« on: October 16, 2010, 10:04:06 AM »
Hi,

one of the list of health problems Millie has been diagnosed with is calcified discs in her spine. She ran up the stairs last weekend and yelped, and then wasn't able to walk on her back right leg, totally keeping weight off it. She's now had xrays and the vet has said that all he can see is the calcification, nothing else, so it must be putting pressure on something somewhere and causing the problem.

She's currently on some anti-inflammatories and restricted movement (no stairs, bouncing, running around, rough play etc ... not that she wants to TBH).
She was on tramadol for the pain, as she was in a lot of pain, but the vet won't give us anymore of them as he wants to try to get the inflammation etc to settle down so that she doesn't have to be on painkillers/NSAIDs for the rest of her life.

He's advised that there is an op, but that he isn't recommending it.. yet.

So our questions to you lovely cocker folk are ...

has any one had any experience of this before?
is there anything we can do for her? (other than the NSAIDs etc)

She really is feeling quite sorry for herself... she's ok about 70% of the time but occasionally she must twinge it and she'll lie crying  :'( :'(

thanks in advance for any info etc

Kelly
Kelly & the 3 muskaspaniels x

Offline bluegirl

• Site Member
    • www.millionhairsdoggrooming.co.uk
Re: Calcified Discs
« Reply #1 on: October 16, 2010, 11:00:46 AM »
No experience but I hope it all settles down so she doesn't need further treatment.

I see the logic in the vet suggesting no stairs or jumping on furniture or rough play but I know its easier said than done getting your dog to agree.
Karen, Penny, Logan, Phoebe and Bronte.

"Life is a series of dogs".    George Carlin

I was going to take over the world but got distracted by something sparkly.