Author Topic: Bad night with Dallas - any ideas?  (Read 2002 times)

Offline *Jay*

• Donator
Bad night with Dallas - any ideas?
« on: October 17, 2010, 09:04:04 AM »
To summarise: Dallas was at the vets on Thursday for his vaccination and to have his anal glands rechecked. He had lost a lot of hair around his back end and broken the skin due to all the scooting etc but thats healing up fine. According to his records, the first vet we saw noted that his glands were infected but no treatment was given (she didn't tell me they were infected). Second vet we saw last week also didn't mention an infection and just told me to up his Metacam to deal with the inflammation. Third vet we saw on Thursday wanted to know why Vet 1 and Vet 2 hadn't prescribed anything for him as he has now had an infection for 3 weeks ::) Anyhoo, he is now on a 2 week course of Noroclav (which he has had before) and is on Metacam daily for his HD.

He has been absolutely fine right up until we went to bed last night. He hasn't settled the whole night - he started off pacing and panting for over an hour (laminate flooring so it wasn't done quietly  :005: ), he then started trying to climb over sofas, onto computer chairs then onto computer tables like he was trying to get away from something. About 2am I opened the patio doors to let him out incase he was too hot and he just sat down. Half an hour later, decided I couldn't leave him out there so carried him back in. He then tried to climb over the sofa again so I put him back on the floor and he went and sat facing the door into the hallway and there he stayed until about 7am. I was talking to him but he wasn't responding whatsoever - didn't even glance in my direction. There has been no whimpering etc, his tummy, legs, back-end all feel fine but I have only now managed to get him to lie down - he is now asleep...hallelujah  :angel:

I was wondering whether or not he could have developed an abscess, even while on antibiotics? Other than being pain-related (and he's on maximum Metacam dose), I can't think why else he would be reacting like that....I don't think doggy dementia comes on that quickly! I'm going to try and take them for a short walk to see how he is and then phone the vet to see what they think....nobody wants to be the client known for calling the vet out on a Sunday for anal glands  >:D :lol2:
Dallas ( 10) & Disney ( 9 )

Playing at the Bridge: Brook (13/06/04), Jackson (23/12/05) & Vegas (14/07/10)

Offline Helen

• helen noakes jewellery
Re: Bad night with Dallas - any ideas?
« Reply #1 on: October 17, 2010, 09:25:28 AM »
just grabbed the contra indications from each site for you...

Noroclav
For animal treatment only. Do not use in rabbits, guinea pigs, hamsters or gerbils. Do not use in animals with known hypersensitivity to penicillin or other substances of the beta-lactam group.
Do not use in animals with serious dysfunction of the kidneys accompanied by anuria and oliguria.
Do not use where resistance to this combination is known to occur.
Hypersensitivity reactions unrelated to dose can occur with these agents.
Gastrointestinal symptoms (diarrhoea, vomiting) may occur after administration of the product.
Allergic reactions (e.g. skin reactions, anaphylaxia) may occasionally occur.
In case of occurrence of allergic reaction, the treatment should be withdrawn.
In animals with hepatic and renal failure, the dosing regimen should be carefully evaluated.
Do not administer to horses and ruminating animals.
Studies in laboratory animals have not produced any evidence of teratogenic effects. Use only according to the benefit/risk assessment by the responsible veterinarian during pregnancy and lactation.
The potential for allergic cross-reactivity with other penicillins should be considered.

Metacam
Contra-indications, warnings, etc
Do not use in pregnant or lactating animals.
Do not use in animals suffering from gastro-intestinal disorders such as irritation and haemorrhage, impaired hepatic, cardiac or renal function and haemorrhagic disorders.
Do not use in case of hypersensitivity to the active substance or to any of the excipients.
Do not use in cats less than 6 weeks of age.
Typical adverse drug reactions of Non-Steroidal Anti-Inflammatory Drugs (NSAIDs) such as loss of appetite, vomiting, diarrhoea, faecal occult blood, apathy and renal failure have occasionally been reported. These side effects are in most cases transient and disappear following termination of the treatment but in very rare cases may be serious or fatal.
If adverse reactions occur, treatment should be discontinued and the advice of a veterinarian should be sought.
Avoid use in any dehydrated, hypovolaemic or hypotensive animal, as there is a potential risk of renal toxicity.
Post-operative pain and inflammation following surgical procedures:
In case additional pain relief is required, multimodal pain therapy should be considered.
Chronic musculoskeletal disorders:
Response to long-term therapy should be monitored at regular intervals by a veterinary surgeon.
Other NSAIDs, diuretics, anticoagulant, aminoglycoside antibiotics and substances with high protein binding may compete for binding and thus lead to toxic effects. Metacam must not be administered in conjunction with other NSAIDs or glucocorticosteroids. Concurrent administration of potential nephrotoxic drugs should be avoided.
Pre-treatment with anti-inflammatory substances may result in additional or increased adverse effects and accordingly a treatment-free period with such veterinary medicinal products should be observed for at least 24 hours before commencement of treatment. The treatment-free period, however, should take into account the pharmacological properties of the products used previously.
The safety of the veterinary medicinal product has not been established during pregnancy and lactation.
Meloxicam has a narrow therapeutic safety margin in cats and clinical signs of overdose may be seen at relatively small overdose levels.
In case of overdose, adverse reactions, as listed in section 4.6, are expected to be more severe and more frequent. In case of overdose symptomatic treatment should be initiated.
User precautions
People with known hypersensitivity to Non Steroidal Anti-Inflammatory Drugs (NSAIDs) should avoid contact with the veterinary medicinal product.
In case of accidental ingestion, seek medical advice immediately and show the package leaflet or the label to the physician.
Disposal Advice
Any unused veterinary medicinal product or waste materials derived from such veterinary medicinal products should be disposed of in accordance with local requirements.
For animal treatment only.
Keep out of reach of children.

Just wondering if the Noroclav is reacting with the Metacam?  I know with long term use you can get some side effects with metacam too...

helen & jarvis x

Offline suzysu

• Site Member
« Reply #2 on: October 17, 2010, 10:57:14 AM »
No advice sorry, but sending healing hugs for poor Dallas  :luv: ..hope he is feeling better today and that you can find out what is causing him to feel so uncomfortable ..and a  :bigarmhug: for you too x
Sue, Georgie n Daisy x
   "I luv my girls"

Offline Wendy G

• Site Member
« Reply #3 on: October 17, 2010, 11:12:57 AM »
Sounds like pain to me, Spud was just like this when he had infected anal glands, but that was before it was diagnosed and
before he had started any treatment.

P.S we had taken him to the Vet's more than once but they did not diagnose it, we were not neglecting him

Hope he settles soon, if not I would go back ASAP
Wendy, Bailey & Stella

RIP Raisen, Badger,Murphy & Spud

Offline bluegirl

• Site Member
    • www.millionhairsdoggrooming.co.uk
« Reply #4 on: October 17, 2010, 11:20:12 AM »
Sounds like pain to me, Spud was just like this when he had infected anal glands, but that was before it was diagnosed and
before he had started any treatment.

P.S we had taken him to the Vet's more than once but they did not diagnose it, we were not neglecting him

Hope he settles soon, if not I would go back ASAP

I agree it sounds pain related, hope he gets sorted. :luv:
Karen, Penny, Logan, Phoebe and Bronte.

"Life is a series of dogs".    George Carlin

I was going to take over the world but got distracted by something sparkly.

Offline *Jay*

• Donator
« Reply #5 on: October 17, 2010, 11:53:18 AM »
The vet wanted to see him - he was already at the surgery with 3 more clients so told us just to make our way along. He gave him a good check over, tummy was a bit tender but said that was prob down to him being such a nervous dog. Right anal gland had completely filled up again - no blood but still nasty looking. So for the moment, the vet has put it down to being very uncomfortable due to the full gland and has prescribed him Zylkene for 6 days. Apparently it should help to take the edge of things and will allow him to settle. If no better by Tuesday, then he has to go back in case it's being caused by something else entirely and infected glands are just a smelly red herring  :P

Offline Nicola

• FTCh Caoimhe
« Reply #6 on: October 17, 2010, 12:10:22 PM »
Poor Dallas, I hope the Zylkene helps him relax a bit and he's feeling better soon :luv:
Nicola, Tilly, Rodaidh and Caoimhe x

http://www.flickr.com/photos/30049807@N08/

Offline Poppsie

• Donator
  • Mia and Phoebe
« Reply #7 on: October 17, 2010, 12:19:07 PM »
Don't know who is more exhausted you or poor Dallas it's hard when they are off colour, not knowing what to do etc.  Hope he gets well soon and I'm sure the vet will sort him out, anal glands are a pain cockers seem to suffer more.  love and licks from Dianne and Pebbles x x x  :luv: :luv:

poppy 31/12/95-27/4/2009
Pebbles 14/1/97-10/2/2011 
my beautiful girls together again forever x

Offline suzysu

• Site Member
« Reply #8 on: October 17, 2010, 12:24:52 PM »
Hope the new med will do the trick today and Dallas will improve ...thinking of you  :luv:
Sue, Georgie n Daisy x
   "I luv my girls"

Offline Sarah.H

• Site Member
  • charlie
« Reply #9 on: October 17, 2010, 12:47:07 PM »
Charlie recently had his infected anal glands flushed as one was repeatedly filling (within a day or two). It had developed into an abcsess even though he was on antibiotics.

Millie

Offline *Jay*

• Donator
« Reply #10 on: October 17, 2010, 01:40:53 PM »
Charlie recently had his infected anal glands flushed as one was repeatedly filling (within a day or two). It had developed into an abcsess even though he was on antibiotics.

I suspect this is going to be our next stage. Vegas had his flushed & packed when he was about 4 after continuous repeated infections and he didn't suffer another one for years so I know how effective it can be - the worry is that Dallas doesn't do well under anaesthetic but guess that's a bridge to cross if and when we get there.

Hope the flushing puts an end to Charlies troubles - good job dogs don't have much sense of dignity  :005:

Offline bluegirl

• Site Member
    • www.millionhairsdoggrooming.co.uk
« Reply #11 on: October 17, 2010, 01:48:50 PM »
Hope they can sort him out and it settles before the Tuesday deadline.
Karen, Penny, Logan, Phoebe and Bronte.

"Life is a series of dogs".    George Carlin

I was going to take over the world but got distracted by something sparkly.

Offline MegandMolly

• Donator
« Reply #12 on: October 17, 2010, 01:53:57 PM »
Hope he's feeling better soon (and you can get some sleep!)
Sam (that's me), Meg (B&W cocker), Ruby (Blue Roan cocker) and Gemma (Black lab)

Offline Annette

• Site Member
« Reply #13 on: October 17, 2010, 02:11:10 PM »
Poor Dallas and poor you.

We seem to be just starting on the anal gland trail. They are a right ************ aren't they?

I hope Dallas is all better soon and that he hasn't anything else going on.

Offline spanielcrazy

• Site Member
« Reply #14 on: October 17, 2010, 02:15:01 PM »
just grabbed the contra indications from each site for you...

Noroclav
Do not use in animals with serious dysfunction of the kidneys accompanied by anuria and oliguria.

Metacam
 Concurrent administration of potential nephrotoxic drugs should be avoided.

Just wondering if the Noroclav is reacting with the Metacam?  I know with long term use you can get some side effects with metacam too...

The vet needs to pay better attention  >:( And vaccines on top of it  :-\

Hope you can get his troubles sorted out soon :bigarmhug:
The madhouse: Michelle, Joy, Jordie, Gizmo, Bracken, Jewel

"My darlings,I love you more than life itself, but you're all ****ing mad!"  Ozzy Osbourne