Author Topic: 2 Questions In 1  (Read 1913 times)

Offline dog2

• Site Member
2 Questions In 1
« on: January 13, 2005, 02:05:50 PM »
Was in Tescos today looking at the array of so called teeth cleaning chews for dogs.Very confusing and very expensive too.But do they really work?Benj has a bit of a smelly breath prob atm and his teeth are fine.He is being clipped this afternoon so the groomer will have a look for me to check.Does anyone know the best way to keep a cockers teeth healthy and so less likely to need an expensive vet dental in time to come?Is brushing the only answer?
2nd question..was also looking at some complete dried in Tescos and it was £4.99 for 10 kg!!!The sack looked very much like the Autarky sack and had something like' for the summer of your dogs life' the same as the Autarky one has.So was wondering if it was made by the same company?I cant remember the name of the food now except it was just a one worded name like Bruno or something like that.It seems just too cheap to be any good doesnt it?Does anyone know the one I mean and has anyone used it?Otherwise the proper Autarky is retailing for about £14-15 at the moment near to where I live and thinking of changing Benj to that.Again,anyone have any feedback on Autarky?Thankyou in advance :)  

Offline PennyB

2 Questions In 1
« Reply #1 on: January 13, 2005, 02:14:02 PM »
May be you're thinking of Burns rather than Bruno! More expensive than AUtarky but well worth the money.

I don't do dental chews but I use 'Logic' from my vet (bit like the defurrum stuff you gove to cats in a tube)

Smell could be his jowels/lipfolds. As dogs get older the lipfolds become more prominent in some dogs and fold over so they are prone to infection because its so moist and they need a regular wipe.
Friends of Hailey Park
Four Paws Animal Rescue (South Wales)

Cockers are just hooligans in cute clothing!

Offline Sass

• Site Member
2 Questions In 1
« Reply #2 on: January 13, 2005, 02:31:02 PM »
Autarky do make a cheaper food, can't think of the name, but I believe it's not 'hypoallergenic' ?! I know it was about £5-6 whereas their other food is about £15 as you said. I have used the more expensive one in the past, but found that once they 'improved' the recipe my dogs coat condition deteriorated <_< .  
Sass and Alfie xx

Offline dog2

• Site Member
2 Questions In 1
« Reply #3 on: January 13, 2005, 05:19:16 PM »
well Benj has been clipped and looks very smart now and she looked at his teeth said they were fine,but took a bit of tarter from them at the back,nothing else and agreed that it may well be the folds of the jowels inside the mouth.Will this Logic do the trick for this or is it a toothpaste that you apply?
May not go for the autarky then,he is on Chappie atm as that is lower in oil and protein and Benj has had a massive weight problem in the past.Was thinking autarky may be good as its natural but think maybe chappie is good too?Cant afford the really expensive ones I,m afraid.The groomer said hes looking the best he ever has done :) and any excess now is the loose skin,damage being already done I,m afraid but looking good all the same. :) Now I have to ask the vets about having a huge lump removed from his chest.Hes loathe to do it as he says Benj still needs to lose more weight but I think hes fine...just a case of affording it now.He has lots of littler lumps but this one in particular is noticeable and it would be good if it were to come off.Hopefully it wont come back again...

Offline suki1964

• Site Member
  • Look mum - no legs :)
2 Questions In 1
« Reply #4 on: January 13, 2005, 06:28:55 PM »
Can you get hold of any raw bones? Marrow bones and cow ribs are good. These are good natural teeth cleaners and can be got for pennies once a scource is found. Mum gets me mine from a farm shop, pays about 60p for a bag of about 5. I give Alfie one once or twice a week and he loves them :)
Caroline and Alfie

Offline PennyB

2 Questions In 1
« Reply #5 on: January 14, 2005, 10:55:38 AM »
well Benj has been clipped and looks very smart now and she looked at his teeth said they were fine,but took a bit of tarter from them at the back,nothing else and agreed that it may well be the folds of the jowels inside the mouth.Will this Logic do the trick for this or is it a toothpaste that you apply?
May not go for the autarky then,he is on Chappie atm as that is lower in oil and protein and Benj has had a massive weight problem in the past.Was thinking autarky may be good as its natural but think maybe chappie is good too?Cant afford the really expensive ones I,m afraid.The groomer said hes looking the best he ever has done :) and any excess now is the loose skin,damage being already done I,m afraid but looking good all the same. :) Now I have to ask the vets about having a huge lump removed from his chest.Hes loathe to do it as he says Benj still needs to lose more weight but I think hes fine...just a case of affording it now.He has lots of littler lumps but this one in particular is noticeable and it would be good if it were to come off.Hopefully it wont come back again...
Logic is for the teeth.

The lip folds are on the outside (the lip at the sides) and these need to be cleaned regularly with a wipe or cotton wool soaked in water and something like hibiscrub. These lipfolds can get badly infected and obviously quite sore for a dog if not looked after.

Burns does have the advantage of the fact that you don't need to feed a lot of it and it really does help with weight loss.
Friends of Hailey Park
Four Paws Animal Rescue (South Wales)

Cockers are just hooligans in cute clothing!

Offline dog2

• Site Member
2 Questions In 1
« Reply #6 on: January 14, 2005, 02:56:04 PM »
Thankyou for all replies and help. :) Benj does have a marrow bone which he has the occasional crunch on but hes not really interested if the meats not on it anymore.Will look for some cow ribs.He may like them better.Will start to clean his lip folds although sorry to have to admit I,m a bit squeamish at the thought.But if its going to help Benj smell fresher and feel better then I must. :)