Author Topic: new pup has itchy ears  (Read 6254 times)

Offline ebony girl

new pup has itchy ears
« on: May 26, 2011, 11:31:25 PM »
basically, 8 week old gypsy has started to itch her ears alittle tonight, they look fine have cleaned them with some warm water on cotton wool.......she's due for injection tuesday which is the earliest i could get in at the vets......would i tiny bit of thornit help, i fear she may be a little young though?????.....suggestions anyone????

she asleep now so arent gonna do anything till the morning at the earliest,

thanks x

Offline Loudon

• Donator
Re: new pup has itchy ears
« Reply #1 on: May 27, 2011, 01:52:07 AM »
Wouldn't have thought water a good idea to clear ear especially if she has a bacterial infection like yeast. If ear mites water no use.

Many knowledgeable people swear by thornit and  I wouldn't disagree with them. Iodoform though is classified as a hazardous chemical to the skin and boric acid  is toxic to abraded skin. Short term boric acid exposure maybe of no significant toxicity but longterm is shown as toxic on kidneys when exposure is in significant amounts.  I don't know of any vets who recommend thornit though but I could be wrong.

Smell the ear and if it's yeast then you can usually smell it. I have found thornit ineffective against yeast infections. Anyway is it a good idea to put powder into wet, stinky ears causing a sludge at the bottom of the ear canal?

If it's mites then a lot of old school will tell you to use thornit. But how many can tell you why it works?  A suggestion is that it suffocates  the mites not killing the eggs but later of course the newborn mites. I have found that the skin comes of too and do you want to start using something when you don't know what the problem is by a product which can be sold on ebay which was invented in 1907 using hazardous chemicals with no scientific backup? Yes, it might work and no doubt you will get plenty of people who testify to its benefits. Ask yourself this though, would you stick it in your ears or your baby's ears based on folklore when there is is medically tested approved products out there that are safe and effective. Many cocker people will give anecdotal evidence to thornit, magic, great,miraculous are a few of the quotes I have seen. But where is the emperical data to back this up? Anyway you can't put it in your ears because it is not an approved drug for humans. Hmm! Why is that?

I would wait to Tuesday and see vet unless condition gets worse. Don't be tempted to put cotton bud down puppy ears to clean. Ask your vet for a supply of Thornit and see what he says? That should tell you all you need to know. Take a copy of this to your vet and ask if he mainly agrees with me or to the many who use thornit.

My vet recommends Surolan which is POM. kills yeast and bacterial infections, effective against ear mites has steriods which calm the itching and is safe. Thornit inexpensive, Surolan expensive. How much are your pup's ears worth? Ok, other postings may say vet supplies medication and consultaion expensive and thornit does same job. Bottom line thornit very inexpensive to make and those who sell it are there to make profits.Next week if vet's medication doesn't work what do you do. Yes, go back to vet to sort problem out. If thornit ineffective what is your next course of action? Yep, go to vet.  So make your own mind up.

That's my personal view. I know nearly everybody thinks of Thornit as a great product and they are fully entitled to their views. But these are mine and it's my dogs ears and I go to the vets and use medically approved products which I know are safe and approved. And work.

Offline louisedi

« Reply #2 on: May 28, 2011, 07:41:07 AM »
If its ear mites its worth getting in touch with breeder, as the whole litter could be infected

Offline JeffandAnnie

« Reply #3 on: May 28, 2011, 10:06:02 AM »

If it's mites then a lot of old school will tell you to use thornit. But how many can tell you why it works? 

It works because Boric acid is an insecticide that kills mites  ;)

Offline Helen

• helen noakes jewellery
« Reply #4 on: May 28, 2011, 11:53:35 AM »
If its ear mites its worth getting in touch with breeder, as the whole litter could be infected

absolutely  ;)

I would in the meantime clean her ears with a tiny bit of olive oil on cotton wool.

Loudon, I would suggest you do as much research on the drugs your vet prescribe for your dogs as you have on thornits - I certainly have and the side effects and 'hidden' ingredients that do not have to be disclosed can be frightening in themselves and have side effects that can be fatal.  It's up to the individual to make their minds up about their treatment.

Quoting your post "but longterm is shown as toxic on kidneys when exposure is in significant amounts" - I'd like to see the evidence and proof of this, and what the 'significant' amount is.

It's good you trust your vets but always remember that vets have to make money and will almost always back the pharmaceutical companies that give them the best deals and push their drugs.
helen & jarvis x

Offline Loudon

• Donator
« Reply #5 on: May 28, 2011, 08:28:57 PM »
Hi to everyone who commented on my post. I tried very hard to state that this was my view based on my experience. Why, because 99.99% of dog owners who use Thornit like it. And I did say I wouldn't disagree with anyone who finds it useful.

I don't have dogs which suffer from ear mites. I use Frontline spot on for ticks and fleas and maybe that kills mites and yes Jeff and Annie thats an insecticide too.

My main point was why treat an 8 week pup with a product that can be bought anywhere when the problem is undiagnosed.

It's yeast which my Lucy suffers from and Surolon kills it in ears and her wee paws. Must say anti bacterial wipes are used from time to time when she has been out in wet walks.

Anyway, hope pup is ok. Good weekend to all. Of to watch footie and a glass or two of wine.

Offline PennyB

« Reply #6 on: May 28, 2011, 11:58:10 PM »
I use Frontline spot on for ticks and fleas and maybe that kills mites

Only Advocate kills earmites (its a spot-on too but not all vets use it - mine doesn't but another vet we use for the rescue does).
Friends of Hailey Park
Four Paws Animal Rescue (South Wales)

Cockers are just hooligans in cute clothing!

Offline Loudon

• Donator
« Reply #7 on: May 30, 2011, 01:30:02 PM »
Thanks PennyB will try that in June.