Author Topic: anal glands - oat bran or weetabix?  (Read 21045 times)

Offline Ben's mum

• Donator
anal glands - oat bran or weetabix?
« on: September 04, 2011, 09:55:13 AM »
Just a quick question, Ben has always been pretty much fine with his glands and has a weetabix every day which we were told helps. 
Harry scoots fairly often and I have had to take him to have his glands empted a couple of times despite also being on weetabix, in some of your posts about glands I have noticed people mention oat bran, is this better for them than weetabix, and if so where do I buy it - is it something from a health food shop, have to confess to never having seen/heard of it  ph34r

thank you  :D

Offline Sarah1985

Re: anal glands - oat bran or weetabix?
« Reply #1 on: September 04, 2011, 05:13:11 PM »
Oat bran is available from most supermarkets. Tends to be with the rolled oats and porridge. It comes in a packet rather than a box. I use the brand morn flake

I use oat bran because it's a fine powder that I can sprinkle on their food so I can vary how much I sprinkle on to suit. Also when i first started using it dexter was quite young and I heard that lots of dogs are allergic to wheat and not so much to oats. Turns out he allergic to neither but im happy with the oat bran. if your dog is allergic to neither either I don't suppose it matters which you use as they will both add fibre to your dogs diet.

To add to you dilemma I pretty sure you can get wheat bran.

Offline Ben's mum

• Donator
« Reply #2 on: September 05, 2011, 09:47:31 PM »
thank you! 
Do you know if wheat bran or oat bran is suppsed to be better?

:D

Offline hoggar

• coco
« Reply #3 on: September 05, 2011, 10:03:49 PM »
When Indie had her glad trouble we were advised to give her wheat bran ( we used Jordan's wheat bran )not with every meal but a small cup full twice a week to give a good clear out !  Indie had to have her glands removed in the end , but not all dogs have to have this done .
Sam , Indie  and coco x x x x

Offline hedgehog

« Reply #4 on: September 05, 2011, 10:53:01 PM »
I think I will go with the weetabix with milk and sugar, not keen on oat bran and most definitely not anal glands :005: :005: Oh sorry we weren't talking about breakfast choices  :005: :005:   

Offline ali2010

« Reply #5 on: September 06, 2011, 02:41:48 PM »
Our Albert had lots of problems with his anal glands and the vet told us to put Allbran mixed with water in his food - unfortunately he since has had to have his anal glands removed as apparently his anal glands had lots of scarring.  Not convinced allbran really was the way forward as I'm sure most breakfast cereals contain sugar and salt, but apparently you can buy plain bran from Holland and Barrett

Offline 8 Hairy Feet

• Donator
« Reply #6 on: September 06, 2011, 02:53:58 PM »
Ellie has coarse wheat bran on her
breakfast and tea because we had loads
of trubbles with her when she arrived.
I get it from Holland and Barrett, it's
cheap and lasts ages.
As a bonus she now does what mr steff
refers to as "lovely poos"  :005:
steffxxx
ps they do rice bran too but I haven't
tried it and would be intrested if someone
has.
steffxxx

Offline silke

• Site Member
« Reply #7 on: September 06, 2011, 07:41:36 PM »
I'm very interested in this! Charlie seems to have full glands at the minute.  >:( I was going to take him to the vet to have them emptied, but wonder if I should give him some bran now to sort it. :-\

Offline bluemoonrose

« Reply #8 on: September 09, 2011, 07:38:42 PM »
We use Oatibix because we found wheat products make Ollie's skin itchy, and we changed over to Raw feeding which has been improved things - but have to admit we still have to take Ollie to have his glands emptied from time to time.  One side always seems to be more full than others.

Some advice we were given has been to be careful about not having the glands emptied too frequently, and to only take off the excess not squeeze them empty, as there's a danger that this just promotes them to produce more fluid, so you can end up with a bit of a vicious circle. 

Offline Sarah.H

• Site Member
  • charlie
« Reply #9 on: September 09, 2011, 07:42:02 PM »
I find chicken wings a couple of times per week and sardines with a weetabix a couple of times per week does the trick for Millie  :blink:

Millie

Offline Jan/Billy

• Site Member
« Reply #10 on: September 09, 2011, 07:45:46 PM »
I'm very interested in this! Charlie seems to have full glands at the minute.  >:( I was going to take him to the vet to have them emptied, but wonder if I should give him some bran now to sort it. :-\

With Billy when they are full nothing but a trip to the vets will empty them  :-\

Offline max15

• Donator
« Reply #11 on: September 10, 2011, 08:07:27 PM »
I add a small amount of bran to Jessie's food each day and it seems to help for a while but then it's back to the vet.  On our last visit for her check up (about her breathing), the vet did mention the possibility of removing them.  I notice a couple of you have said that your dogs have had them removed and I wondered if there have been any problems (incontinence etc) after removal.  We haven't made a decision yet and would be grateful for any additional information.

Offline Kaz

« Reply #12 on: September 10, 2011, 11:17:03 PM »
Hi everyone, we're still looking for a puppy, and as I've never owned a cocker I have a quick question. I've been reading on here about anal gland problems, do cockers suffer more than other breeds? Can anyone give me a bit more info on this, any help/advice always appreciated,

Thx guys x

Offline kalami

• Site Member
« Reply #13 on: September 11, 2011, 12:00:58 AM »
Bella has weetabix, it's not helped at all, think might try oat bran.

Offline Sarah.H

• Site Member
  • charlie
« Reply #14 on: September 11, 2011, 07:46:35 AM »
I add a small amount of bran to Jessie's food each day and it seems to help for a while but then it's back to the vet.  On our last visit for her check up (about her breathing), the vet did mention the possibility of removing them.  I notice a couple of you have said that your dogs have had them removed and I wondered if there have been any problems (incontinence etc) after removal.  We haven't made a decision yet and would be grateful for any additional information.

Our old boy had them removed without problems. Although the scrub they used to clean the area pooled around his testicles and burnt the skin  >:( >:( >:( :'( he was in more pain from that than the operation  >:(.

Millie