Author Topic: Teats Still Swollen After First Heat  (Read 17529 times)

Offline Luke1989

Teats Still Swollen After First Heat
« on: September 04, 2011, 06:10:19 PM »
Hi all,
Amber finished her first heat about a week and a half ago.
She has totally changed mentally, almost like she turned from puppy to adult in a month  ;)
Only thing im slightly worried about is her teats have still not gone down... They are large and red and have lumps behind them..
We do have a male cocker, but we are 99.9% they didn't have any contact during the heat and 14 days after the bleeding finished so im sure she's no pregnant ?? Unless someone in the house let them together and forgot or not telling us...
Just a bit worried basically that she might be pregnant, she is only 10 months old so its defo not ideal..

Just wondering if this is normal :D
Cheers
Luke

Offline jennyspin

• Site Member
  • my gorgeous Boyd & Jitka at Master Groom 2012
Re: Teats Still Swollen After First Heat
« Reply #1 on: September 04, 2011, 06:36:37 PM »
Hi Luke, Amber is gorgeous! I think that it sounds as if it could be just the change from "puppyhood" to "adulthood". If she had been caught I wouldn't have thought that you would see such a change this early on. I would check again with the family and make sure that they know for the future that these things can happen very quickly and that the girl and boy in the household need to be completely appart for the duration of the season!  ;)
Sandlauga cockers
Never assume anything...except an occasional air of intelligence! The Sheriff to Guy of Gisbourne (Richard Carpenter, Robin or Sherwood, Rip 27/02/2012, a writing talent who will be missed).

Offline bajoleth

• My Beautiful Belle.
« Reply #2 on: September 04, 2011, 07:05:46 PM »
Hi if there is any chance that they may have got together , make sure the family memebrs know how important it is that you know the truth, then you will need to see your vet about a missmate jab, as she is only 10 mths her being pregnant would seriously not be a good idea :-\
However its probably hormonal and nothing to worry about, unmated bitches can and often do suffer from varying degrees of Phantom pregnancies in some cases making it impossible to tell the difference without scanning for pregnancy. As already said it would be unusual to have any symptoms this early on but not unheard of. I am however no expert and I am sure someone more knowlegdeable will be along with more helpful advice.  ;)
Jo, Belle and Monty

Offline Bluebell

• Limited Member
« Reply #3 on: September 04, 2011, 07:24:15 PM »
Tevas' boobies stayed a little swolen and lumpy after her season (she has only had one so far). She then went on to have a mild phantom pregnancy, when they became larger and a little milky :shades: luckily her phantom only lasted about 10 days, and within a week or so after her boobies returned completely to normal. She is a very active dog, so her stomach is really flat again now :D

Offline Luke1989

« Reply #4 on: September 04, 2011, 07:28:38 PM »
Hi all, thanks for the replies..
Everyone seems sure that they never made contact.. unless someone did it and it didn't register with them, everyone does know the importance of them not getting together.....
Should the lumps behind her teats disspear in time ??
Is the anything i can watch out for that would indicate that she is pregnant ?
I might be just me being paranoid but i just want to make sure :)
Many thanks for replies

Offline Bluebell

• Limited Member
« Reply #5 on: September 04, 2011, 08:03:13 PM »
Her lumps will go completely in a few weeks...............unless you are not 100 % sure... :shades: :005:

Offline BobnDot

• Donator
« Reply #6 on: September 04, 2011, 09:37:00 PM »
We had the same thing with Milly's first season. Her teats didn't go right down and started to pass a little milk. We were in the happy position of being 100% sure that she hadn't been with a dog. ;)

We'd taken her to the vet to discuss her spaying and following an examination he confirmed a phantom pregnancy. A couple of tablets cleared things up within a couple of days.

Offline rubyduby

« Reply #7 on: September 05, 2011, 07:11:59 PM »
Funny I posted a similar post a couple of months ago, Topaz ws on season in April and she had a large udder and swollen teats for a good 2 -3 months , I too was worried she seemed like an old dog, didnt want to play, I was worried...then after 2-3 months her udder went back to normal and she became a daft dog again, she has just been spayed and is wrestling with her sister as I type!