Author Topic: Betsy and Her First Season  (Read 319 times)

Offline poppy

• Donator
  • Betsy b 17/05/2011
Betsy and Her First Season
« on: October 12, 2011, 11:19:14 AM »
I am going to wait till Betsy has her first season before I get her speyed. 

Speaking as a person that has never had a dog before, let alone a female doggy, I am interested in what should I expect to see, or do?  Do I need to get anything for her?  Will she behave any different.  I've read the article on "Seasons" in the Health section and fully understand that, but I want to know whether she will bleed heavily.  I've got new furniture and don't want her to stain anything with her season.

TIA

Lizzie and Betsy xxx
Lots of love ... Lizzie
Micka 17/03/1996-12/07/2011 Sleep my darling baby

Offline Ninasmum

• Limited Member
Re: Betsy and Her First Season
« Reply #1 on: October 12, 2011, 11:43:42 AM »
You can buy doggy pants, i bought ours from Mikki a few years ago.  :shades:  Saying that none of our 3 girls bled much on their 1st season.  :shades:
Betsy may become more cuddly, sleepy, clingy just before the season & for the 1st few days of her season.  Her 'lady area' will swell before too.
I have noticed with Nina & Jo Jo that they don't always feel too good for the 1st few days either & wonder if they get tummy ache  :-\  they all tend to sleep more than usual at this time too.  :shades:
If you are going to be taking her out at all during this time, i would keep her on lead at all times & stay in a quiet area where there isn't much likelihood of seeing other dogs.  I don't usually walk mine in the middle of the season but do quiet lead walks at the start & end of their season's.  :blink:
The average season lasts 3 weeks, although this can vary.  My 3 are between 18 days & 24 days.  :shades:
I am sure little Betsy will be fine, bless her.  :luv:

Nina, Jo Jo, Georgia & Alfie

Offline Sheryl

• Donator
« Reply #2 on: October 12, 2011, 11:49:43 AM »
Kali hardly bled at all but Lyla bled like a stuck pig! ph34r. Lyla was a little more irritable than usual and Kali went off her food.
Sheryl, Holly, Kali, Baby Lyla and Angel Chloe

Offline supergirl

• Wonderful Indie
« Reply #3 on: October 12, 2011, 12:01:13 PM »
Some dogs will keep themselves very clean.  Misha hardly bled at all, however her behaviour did change - I couldn't get her to go outside for a wee and we had a few accidents at the back door - She just seemed very worried about going outside. Other than that she was just the same as normal.  I have a cream carpet and put down some old sheets on the floor and over furniture as she wasn't keen on wearing any clothing.
Misha, Ellie, Roly, Lexi (& Karen)

People who have dogs live longer - it's all the extra love