Author Topic: Optigen Test  (Read 18474 times)

Offline sashal

• Site Member
    • http://www.sashal.co.uk
Optigen Test
« on: February 26, 2005, 07:17:31 PM »
Does anyone have any information about how you go about testing your dog, where to do it and cost etc?

Thanks

Alex
Sashal GWPs & Cocker Spaniels
www.sashal.co.uk

Offline *Jay*

• Donator
Optigen Test
« Reply #1 on: February 26, 2005, 07:30:01 PM »
I've had one of mine done and the whole procedure was relatively straightforward. My vet took the sample, I packaged it up following the directions I was given and popped it in the post. I did have a minor hitch when i tried to post it as the Post office didn't think I was allowed to send blood to america but that got sorted eventually, much to the relief of the very impatient queue behind me :P  I was about 160.00 for the test but because I work in a vets, I didn't need to pay the fees they charge for actually taking the blood. The dog also has to be microchipped so if that hasn't been done, you will have the cost of that too. You can get the test cheaper if you wait for a 20/20 clinic but you would have to have a certian number of people interested and then I'm sure the sample gets sent to somewhere in Europe as opposed to the states.

Have a look at the Optigen site Here and this should give you all the necessary information and fees required.
Dallas ( 10) & Disney ( 9 )

Playing at the Bridge: Brook (13/06/04), Jackson (23/12/05) & Vegas (14/07/10)

Offline Jane S

• Administrator
Optigen Test
« Reply #2 on: February 26, 2005, 07:48:22 PM »
We've had three of our Cockers Optigen tested so far & will have more done as time goes by. Just a tip but if you want the test results quickly, it's best to post samples direct to the US rather than the Dutch agents used by Optigen (the European 20/20 satellite clinics are organised via this Dutch company). Our first sample sent to Holland took 5 weeks for the results to come through compared to 10 days when we recently sent samples to the States. It was a little more expensive than waiting to take part in the satellite clinic but we chose convenience over cost this time.

Jane
Jane

Offline tracey

• Site Member
    • http://www.quintaviacockerspaniels.co.uk
Optigen Test
« Reply #3 on: February 26, 2005, 08:29:48 PM »
We have just optigen tested 5 of our cocker's.  All A1 :D We sent the blood to the Netherlands as part of the 20/20 clinic and had our results back within 3 weeks. If you participate in the 20/20 clinics you  can save 25% of the cost. As the dollar is good value at the moment that is quite a big saving ;)

Tracey :)
http://www.quintaviacockerspaniels.co.uk

Love All
Trust A Few
Do Wrong To None
William Shakespeare

Offline sashal

• Site Member
Optigen Test
« Reply #4 on: February 26, 2005, 09:34:23 PM »
Thanks for your help everyone. The 20/20 clinic sounds ideal as I am not completely understanding what I need to do from th optigen site  :lol:

How do I find out where these will be held?

Sorry for all the questions and well done to you all on the good results from it

Alex
www.sashal.co.uk

Offline Sharon

• Inactive
  • Bramble
Optigen Test
« Reply #5 on: February 26, 2005, 09:36:12 PM »
I've not had any of my dogs OptiGen tested, but they do have the yearly eye tests......OptiGen is something I am hoping to have done with my younger dogs, but my main concern is how accurate are the results?  I recently had a report sent to me about about an OptiGen A1 dog siring a PRA affected daughter, now if the tests were correct this shouldn't of happened??   Correct me if I'm wrong  <_<

I really hope these tests are true/correct, as it's a sureway of safe guarding our dogs against this dreadful disease and passing it on to their off spring!

Offline tracey

• Site Member
Optigen Test
« Reply #6 on: February 26, 2005, 10:54:23 PM »
Test Results: Pattern/Genotype A1

Risk Group: Normal

Risk for developing prcd form of PRA: Pattern A1 dogs of your breed are statistically normal for prcd-PRA and are not expected to develop prcd-PRA or this disease or pass it to offspring. No known Pattern A1 dog has developed prcd-PRA or produced prcd-PRA-affected offspring, and no known prcd-PRA-affected dog has tested Pattern A1. There is a low theoretical chance that a Pattern A1 dog could have a false negative result and therefore be a carrier (risk is less than 0.5%) or even be affected (risk is less than 0.0025%). So far, the only inherited PRA disease known in this breed is the prcd form of PRA.  Significance for breeding: Pattern A1 dogs can be bred to any dog and, with at least 99.5% confidence, will not produce pups affected by the prcd form of PRA.

Above is a quote from the optigen site. I would be interested to know more about the A1 dog that has produced the  PRA affected daughter :) perhaps you could p.m the details?

The way I look at it is if we can make use of all the available tests i.e annual eye tests, hip scoring and the optigen DNA test then we are doing everything in our power to produce healthy cockers. I look forward to the day when we can test for F.N cariers :)

Sadly there are  lots of people who still refuse to take advantage of the most basic of health tests :unsure:

Love All
Trust A Few
Do Wrong To None
William Shakespeare

Offline Jane S

• Administrator
Optigen Test
« Reply #7 on: February 26, 2005, 11:23:24 PM »
I've not had any of my dogs OptiGen tested, but they do have the yearly eye tests......OptiGen is something I am hoping to have done with my younger dogs, but my main concern is how accurate are the results?  I recently had a report sent to me about about an OptiGen A1 dog siring a PRA affected daughter, now if the tests were correct this shouldn't of happened??   Correct me if I'm wrong
The Optigen test is a marker gene test - it's not guaranteed to be 100% accurate nor does Optigen claim it is. They are careful to state that there may be a small percentage of "false positives" but that does not mean that the test is worthless as some claim. Ideally, a mutation gene test is what we need but until the actual PRA gene is located (if it is located), then the Optigen marker gene test is the best option we have at the moment. Yes there may well be one or two strange results (as have occurred in Scandinavia I believe where there is a Norwegian A1 dog who has sired a C1 offspring) but that is perhaps to be expected with a marker gene test & I don't feel that this invalidates the test since it's not claimed to be 100% accurate anyway.

Alex, 20/20 clinics aren't held anywhere as such - you have to follow Optigen's instructions on their website, entering the code for the clinic on your order form, then making sure your sample arrives in Holland in the week specified for the "clinic". There is a European 20/20 clinic coming up from the 28th Feb-4th March but that might be too soon for you. If you want more info, contact Carol (domaine.haisha@skynet.be) or Becky at Optigen (becky@optigen.com)

Jane
Jane

Offline tracey

• Site Member
Optigen Test
« Reply #8 on: February 26, 2005, 11:28:09 PM »
Thanks for your help everyone. The 20/20 clinic sounds ideal as I am not completely understanding what I need to do from th optigen site  :lol:

How do I find out where these will be held?

Sorry for all the questions and well done to you all on the good results from it

Alex
[snapback]102211[/snapback]

The dates of the 20/20 clinics are listed on the front page of the optigen site. Gill listed the link further down.

Have a read through the site, I found it a bit daunting to start with but it is quite straight forward really :)  If you would like any help then give me a shout and I will help if I can.

Love All
Trust A Few
Do Wrong To None
William Shakespeare

Offline catwillow

• Site Member
    • http://www.lapislumina.co.uk/
Optigen Test
« Reply #9 on: February 27, 2005, 12:56:22 AM »
Can I stick a quick question of my own  here?? Sorry dont mean to hijack your topic Alex  :rolleyes:

At what age should you have this test done??? I know that Lilly's co owner actually wants to breed from her at her 2nd or 3rd season...... is there a min and max age to do it at??? or can it be done at any time?
Also should it be done on dogs you have no intention of breeding from? or is it really just for dogs and bitches you intend to breed from?
Sorry if I am being ignorant here  :huh:  :)
Hugs n stuff

Sheri  XxX
Lilly, Murphy & Sally xxx

Offline Jane S

• Administrator
Optigen Test
« Reply #10 on: February 27, 2005, 09:09:06 AM »
At what age should you have this test done??? I know that Lilly's co owner actually wants to breed from her at her 2nd or 3rd season...... is there a min and max age to do it at??? or can it be done at any time?
Also should it be done on dogs you have no intention of breeding from? or is it really just for dogs and bitches you intend to breed from?
[snapback]102264[/snapback]
The Optigen DNA test can be done at an early age - as soon as puppies are old enough to have a blood sample taken & be microchipped, so breeders can have a litter tested & only keep for breeding those that are A1. It's a one off test & does not have to be repeated. If you're talking about the normal clinical eye test, this can be done from 12 months old & should be continued annually for life really as PRA in Cockers has such a variable age of onset. Generally it is just breeders who have the dogs they intend to breed from tested although there is nothing to stop pet owners testing if they wish. Generally though if a pet dog is affected with PRA, they will be referred to an opthalmologist for diagnosis but the info will not be recorded as part of the official BVA/KC testing scheme.

Jane
Jane

Offline sashal

• Site Member
Optigen Test
« Reply #11 on: February 27, 2005, 10:57:54 AM »
Thanks Jane and Tracey for your help. I'm not in any major rush to get it done as it is our young bitch Millie I would like to get tested first and she is only 13mths so won't have a litter for a long while yet

Alex
www.sashal.co.uk

Offline sportsmonki

• Site Member
  • Storm
Re: Optigen Test
« Reply #12 on: November 13, 2006, 07:37:30 PM »
I know this is a very old thread...but i think my questions probably fit in here?  Sorry that there are so many of them  ph34r

I was wondering how many breeders do have their dogs optigen tested?  Is having optigen tested parents something to look for when looking for a puppy? 

I know in my other breed (border collies) it is fairly common for both parents to have been optigen tested, or at least the sire (but perhaps that is because a fair proportion (at least 1/3) of the breed are carriers?)  However, it seems a lot of cockers dont have optigen test results?  I havent been able to find stats on the percentage of cockers that are likely to be carriers, is it very low? 

Is it generally felt that the standard eye screening is sufficient?

Thank you for your time,

Becky

Offline Gilly

• Inactive
    • Glowstar Cocker Spaniels
« Reply #13 on: November 13, 2006, 07:58:09 PM »
I think most of the breeders on this board are Optigen testing and it is becoming more common now. I have several friends who are doing it now. I had Buttons tested and she's a carrier. I was obviously disappointed with this result as we would like (in an ideal world) all our dogs to be clear. She will be mated to an A1/Clear dog which would mean some of the pups would be carriers and some clear but I would be confident selling pups that are carriers as I put restrictions on my litters and at least I know I won't be breeding affected dogs.
At the end of the day you cannot take the carriers out of the equation as there are as many carriers as there are clears in the results I've seen approx 44% carrier 46% clear and 10% affected.
In this day and age I would definitely be looking for both parents to be Optigen tested but that is just my personal opinion. You might find this site useful http://www.caras-cocker.de/dna_2.htm but obviously this is only people who have given permission for results to be published.

Offline KellyS

• Site Member
« Reply #14 on: November 13, 2006, 09:08:31 PM »
I agree with Gilly I personally would definately be looking for both parents to have been Optigen tested if I was buying a puppy or considering a stud dog.

A few more people seem to be making use of the test now. Perhaps Jane will confirm this but I think the Cocker Spaniel Club will be publishing results in their welfare booklet???
Kelly & the Keladity Klan

Visit our website
www.keladitycockers.co.uk
Dogs laugh but they laugh with their tails! - Max Eastman