Author Topic: Lungworm: Advocate vs Panacur  (Read 43471 times)

Offline jessandme

Re: Lungworm: Advocate vs Panacur
« Reply #30 on: January 12, 2012, 08:39:16 PM »
Just wondering - what sort of reactions to Advocate have people been seeing?   

This month Jess was distinctly off colour for about a day and a half after we put it on, noticeably sleepy and not quite herself.  Over the last 6 months we've thought there seemed to be a bit of a effect on her but not been certain, this month there's been no doubt.

There is lungworm around here and also we travel around on our narrowboat in the summer so we go through lots of places where it is even worse than here - also Jess thinks that snails are a tasty snack, and keeps picking up slugs and bringing them indoors, yuk.

She's due for a 'wellness check' at the vets soon, we will talk it all over with them but was just wondering what other people's experience has been.

Very much agree, it is a good thingthat we now have a choice of meds available.

Offline Neon

• Donator
« Reply #31 on: January 12, 2012, 09:14:55 PM »
Just a little note for anyone who may be thinking of using Milbemax.  If you have difficulty administering a tablet to your dog, Milbemax is also available in a chewable "treat" form which is more palatable for the dog.

(RIP Charlie and Jarvis - Love You Both Forever)  :luv: :luv:

Offline Karma

• Site Member
« Reply #32 on: January 12, 2012, 09:34:33 PM »
Just wondering - what sort of reactions to Advocate have people been seeing?   

On the first dose, she was itchy for about 1/2 hr after application, so didn't think much of it.
Second dose, she was itcing the application site on and off for the rest of the day, and seemed a little off colour.
By the third dose I was watching for the effects, and she was definately subdued, and the itching lasted 3 days (on and off) - initially this was very frantic itching, and it eased off over the first few hrs. 

If it had remained as just a small amount of itching I would probably have continued using it, but it was the substantially increasing reaction that really concerned me. 

I also know that a lot of Collie owners won't touch Advocate, as Collies are known to be susceptable to a genetic quirk that can make something in Advocate fatal to them - I don't know the details, but I'm sure there are a lot of Collie owners who are going to be very pleased to hear that Milbemax has now been licenced.  :D
Remembering Honey. Aug 2007-July 2020

Offline jessandme

« Reply #33 on: January 13, 2012, 09:17:37 AM »
Itching, hmmm - she does scratch a bit after the stuff goes on, but that doesn't seem to be a big deal and doesn't last more than a couple of hours.  We'll keep an eye on it.

And yes, I had heard that about collies - my sister has a border collie - the new product licence is excellent news for them.   :D

Offline Mel

• Donator
  • Owned and chomped by Taliesin the Bard.
« Reply #34 on: January 13, 2012, 10:35:38 AM »
Not quite true. Milbemax has to be used with extreme care in collies. Like Invermectin  Milbemycin oxime also attacks the parasites in a similar way. I believe that collies with the defective genes can get reactions to both Milbemax and Advocate. So I wonder how they stop collies getting lungworm? Panacur perhaps?????
Kelynen Mister Bojangles 17th March 1997 - 29th January 2010

”Come on Stink-woo, time for bubbyes. End of days now my poppety.”

Free Cake!

Offline Pudding

• Donator
  • Bob My Love My Life
« Reply #35 on: January 13, 2012, 11:03:48 AM »
Head now spining !!!!!!!!!!!!!

Offline Karma

• Site Member
« Reply #36 on: January 13, 2012, 11:06:07 AM »
Not quite true. Milbemax has to be used with extreme care in collies. Like Invermectin  Milbemycin oxime also attacks the parasites in a similar way. I believe that collies with the defective genes can get reactions to both Milbemax and Advocate. So I wonder how they stop collies getting lungworm? Panacur perhaps?????

The Collie owners I know were happy to give Milbemax...  :huh:
Remembering Honey. Aug 2007-July 2020

Offline max2011

« Reply #37 on: January 13, 2012, 01:51:00 PM »
I have been reading this thread with interest as I too don't like advocate. It makes max itchy and didn't work when he had mange. I had to swap to stronghold which worked brilliantly. However once max was better the vet wanted me to switch back to advocate as max is partial to the odd snail.

Just been to vets to confirm about milbemax. Yes great news I can use it for all worms but they recommend using advantage for fleas etc so that I don't double up on worm treatments. I don't know anything about this product other than it made by same people as advocate which worries me. Will start searching on web before I decide just wondered if anyone has used it?

Offline Mel

• Donator
« Reply #38 on: January 14, 2012, 08:55:10 PM »
Picked up Tali's Milbemax today and the label the vets printed says "1 x tablet monthly to prevent lungworm." Don't think they would do this unless it were true. Apparently Anna rang the manufacturers to be 100%sure  of the dosage.

Free Cake!

Offline Mel

• Donator
« Reply #39 on: January 16, 2012, 10:49:52 PM »
Just a quick update. I waited til  today to give Tali the Milbemax incase he had a reaction over the weekend. Good news seems to be that he seems to have tolerated it well. Hope now he is protected and I can feel like I have done something positive to help him with bloomin' lungworm.

Free Cake!

Offline lindseyp

• Donator
« Reply #40 on: January 16, 2012, 11:14:55 PM »
Just a quick update. I waited til  today to give Tali the Milbemax incase he had a reaction over the weekend. Good news seems to be that he seems to have tolerated it well. Hope now he is protected and I can feel like I have done something positive to help him with bloomin' lungworm.

thanks for all the work you put in to finding out this info Mel - will be chatting to my vet & hoping he has all the correct up to date advice next time we go - would be good to have some choice about what medicines we can use for Lungworm  ;)
If your dog thinks you're the best.....don't seek a second opinion!!

Offline cangrejo

• Charlie & Dexter, my beautiful boys xx
« Reply #41 on: January 17, 2012, 06:40:01 AM »
Thanks for researching all of this Mel. I too have been confused by it all. Dexter is a horror for picking up snails and when I went to my vet it was a locum who had no idea if this was a lungworm area. She also told me I could give the little man Milbemax and Advocate together, which I was not keen on so spaced it two weeks apart (thanks to the advice of COL).

I do worry about the Advocate, I find it difficult to apply, it stinks and I try to do it when the boys have settled down in the evening so they don't lick each other. I would much prefer a tablet, but was told he had to have Advocate (to prevent lungworm) and Milbemax (to prevent tapeworm). I've got to take them to the vets for health checks soon so am going to book in with my usual vet and ask her  :huh:
Rosie, Charlie & Dexter xxx
Charlie 31/12/09
Dexter 17/06/11

Offline Mel

• Donator
« Reply #42 on: January 17, 2012, 08:51:09 AM »

The Collie owners I know were happy to give Milbemax...  :huh:

Sorry Karma forgot to answer you my dear. The important words I used were "with extreme care". Because of the defective gene they can but not always, have sensitivity to Milbemax too. I have been looking on Collie forums and it appears rough collies are more likely to have reactions than others.

Free Cake!

Offline max2011

« Reply #43 on: January 17, 2012, 10:27:48 AM »
If you are using Milbemax now for worms and lungworm what have you chosen to use for fleas etc. Would love to stop using advocate but not sure if stronghold and milbemax is overdosing on the worm treatment. A vet said to use advantage but that does not cover mange and Max had this and needs something that covers this too! Guess I need to ask my regular vets advice but they try and push advocate!

Offline Neon

• Donator
« Reply #44 on: January 17, 2012, 11:28:34 AM »
If you are using Milbemax now for worms and lungworm what have you chosen to use for fleas etc. Would love to stop using advocate but not sure if stronghold and milbemax is overdosing on the worm treatment. A vet said to use advantage but that does not cover mange and Max had this and needs something that covers this too! Guess I need to ask my regular vets advice but they try and push advocate!

Why don't you try a natural preventative.  I'm going to give Billy No Mates a try this year and see how we go.  If you google, there are loads of natural products available.

(RIP Charlie and Jarvis - Love You Both Forever)  :luv: :luv: