Author Topic: Ocuglo for Dogs with PRA  (Read 6260 times)

Offline amanda9586

• Donator
Re: Ocuglo for Dogs with PRA
« Reply #30 on: February 02, 2012, 05:44:54 PM »
Thank you Kelly for your post - its nice to hear that perhaps we will have a little longer for us all to adjust - I guess Vets have to always give the worst case but there was no best case described  >:( 

So glad I have a forum like this where I can get hope at least - I'm not fooling myself and we are already training but I'm a positive person naturally so fingers crossed.

Thank you again everyone.....

Offline 1hope

« Reply #31 on: February 04, 2017, 06:22:44 PM »
Hi, I saw your message about your Poppy, and your question about using Ocuglo. Did you invest in the supplement and do you feel that it helped?.
Oh sorry, my girl Daisy a Lab has just been diagnosed. She's 5 and a bit and is not completely blind, it's much worse for her at night, she cries and scratches at the door.
I was quite impressed by the American web-site about the Ocuglo. It's expensive, but they explained the condition quite well, about the cones and rods and how a toxic substance from the decaying parts causes the eye to progressively deteriorate, I'd give just about anything to give her as many more years as poss. It's cruel. She came to us as a rescue from Ireland. She's the full on Labrador, so very energetic, loving and eager to please, it's such a shame.
Oh, and how did Poppy adapt, how did she get on?
All the very best.
Hope

Offline 8 Hairy Feet

• Donator
« Reply #32 on: February 06, 2017, 01:26:20 PM »
Hi Hope
Amandas posts are from 2012 , i'm not
sure she's oh here anymore...
You could start your own thread here or on a Lab forum
There are dogs on here with PRA .

Offline sodpot2000

« Reply #33 on: February 06, 2017, 01:47:42 PM »
So sorry to hear your news. Cockers can cope quite well with blindness because their world is not so exclusively visual as ours. My previous cocker Sophie had all kinds of vision issues from birth, some of which she shared with the then Home Secretary David Blunkett (although they never corresponded  ;) You learn to work as a team with them on walks to steer them round parked cars and other obstacles and talk them up and down steps and kerbs. It is quite an honour really when a dog is willing to put so much trust in you that they will walk without being able to see on the strength of your guidance.

Offline 1hope

« Reply #34 on: February 06, 2017, 04:15:43 PM »
Hi Hairy feet and sodpot, thank you for your input.  Sodpot, I know what you mean about it being an honour that they trust you. In her short life span she has always been keen to learn, to the point of ridiculous.  I put a bird feeder on a fence in the back garden, she is big enough to stand up on back paws and sniff it quite vigorously, I said to her in a gentle way, no Daisy dont touch.. from then on she shied away from that section of fence, even when the neighbour tried to hand her a delicious treat.
I love her to bits, she's beautiful and I hope that I'll be able to train her not to be affraid as she goes blind.