Author Topic: Phantom pregnancy?  (Read 516 times)

Offline Katie_and_Millie

Phantom pregnancy?
« on: May 12, 2012, 10:31:18 PM »
I'm not sure if Millie is having a phantom pregnancy or if there is something else wrong. 

She has been sick a couple of times recently, eating loads of grass and then throwing up, retching quite violently for just a little bit of foamy bile.  Other than that she seems very healthy and the vomiting doesn't affect her.  I have been feeding her rice and chicken which she loves.  She is pooing less than normal. 

She is more clingy than normal, having to be near me all the time. 

After her season her teats were slightly swollen, and this hasn't gone down entirely.  She has two teats which have become quite prominent, and that whole area now appears "droopy".  Her nipples have become bigger, but I'm not sure if that is normal as she's getting older. 

She isn't nursing anything, but is nesting lots. 

If she vomits again I will take her to the vets, just wanted to ask the experienced owners on here first.

Offline lindseyp

• Donator
Re: Phantom pregnancy?
« Reply #1 on: May 12, 2012, 10:43:38 PM »
I can totally sympathise Katie having a bitch with phantom pregnancy here too  :016:

Livie has all the typical symptoms - clingy, nesting, off her food, swollen teats full of milk - she's had phantoms before but this is by far her worst & was prescribed the medication Galastop to help bring her out of it.
 Having said that, she hasn't been sick at all when in one but that isn't to say Millie isn't in one too.
My only concern & word of caution is that bitches are more prone to Pyometra (a very serious condition that can be life threatening  ;) ) at this time & caution should always be taken. High temp, drinking more & sickness are all a symptom of it & usually but not always, a discharge (sometimes offensive smelling) from the vagina.
If you're at all worried I would advise caution & get her checked out just in case Hun  ;) :luv:

gentle hugs to little Millie & hope shes back to herself very soon  :bigarmhug: :bigarmhug:  bloomin hormones are 'orrible things at times  :'(
If your dog thinks you're the best.....don't seek a second opinion!!

Offline bajoleth

• My Beautiful Belle.
« Reply #2 on: May 13, 2012, 07:43:49 AM »
Belle has experienced a phantom with all the symptoms you have described but not the vomiting?  I am in no way an expert but I don't think vomiting frequently is one of them? Could be something completely unrelated please keep an eye on her and if the vomiting continues then I would head to the Vets, hope she is better soon :luv:

@Lindsey, hope livie is back to her normal self soon bless her  :luv:
Jo, Belle and Monty

Offline Katie_and_Millie

« Reply #3 on: May 13, 2012, 11:21:06 AM »
Thank you for your replies.  I will keep a careful eye on her.

I think she may have started nursing a toy.  A miniature space hopper no less!   :005: I shouldn't laugh but it is quite a strange choice, bless her.  I am going to take it away from her and hide it in the cupboard.   :embarassed: