Author Topic: Lungworm and snails  (Read 1126 times)

Offline Mrs JT

Lungworm and snails
« on: July 26, 2012, 09:44:52 PM »
Mods: I'm not really sure where I should post this, so feel free to move if it shouldn't be here!!

Wondered if anyone could offer advice about how to get rid of snails in a safe way that won't poison dogs?

Obviously there is real concern about snails carrying Lungworm and the chance of dogs becoming infected if they come into contact with them.  Our lawn (small, but fits a surprising number of snails onto it when it rains!) gets absolutely covered in snails when wet and I'm really paranoid that Saffy might get a bit too close to them.  As a result we just don't use our garden to toilet her whenever it's bad just to be on the safe side.

I've tried removing them with my gloves on, putting them into a poo bag and binning them, however, it's as though they call their mates and it's worse than ever the next night!!!!  >:D

are there any gardeners out there who know of a safe and effective way to get rid of them?

Any suggestions would be appreciated x

Offline Petepreston

Re: Lungworm and snails
« Reply #1 on: July 26, 2012, 10:01:58 PM »
Somebody can correct me, but I thought the snail/slug had to be eaten to cause a problem. At least, thats what I thought and I haven't worried about Posie around them unless she's paid too much attention to them. She doesn't seem interested beyond looking to see what they are.

On a related subject; an English university actually did a study into snail populations with regards to the best way to keep the population down. I remember a couple of findings that were quite surprising.

1) Snails follow their own trail, so once they've found a food source they will go back to it each night by following their own 'scent'. This means that moving them away doesn't always work because they can find their way back. Better to move the food source and/or wash away the trail.

2) The population finds its optimum level and will always fill that capacity. So no matter how many snails you remove (and you will never get them all) the population will always increase back to that level - but no higher!

The key here is that once you have the optimum population (from the snails' perspective) it will remain quite stable. That's not very helpful for gardeners or dog owners, except that if your existing snails don't have the infection they are less likely to introduce it as they would be genetically isolated. But I could be very wrong about that.

I'm not convinced that it helps us dog owners, but it's a little bit of knowledge that you'll probably never forget.

Offline JennyBee

• Princess Brodie
« Reply #2 on: July 26, 2012, 10:42:56 PM »
Somebody can correct me, but I thought the snail/slug had to be eaten to cause a problem. At least, thats what I thought and I haven't worried about Posie around them unless she's paid too much attention to them. She doesn't seem interested beyond looking to see what they are.

Unfortunately not - if a snail leaves a trail over a dog's toy and the dog picks it up, then they can catch lungworm that way. Or drinking out of puddles.

Mrs JT, do you live in a hotspot? I ask my vet every now and then about it and thankfully there has been no cases here. Will be looking to see if any advice is posted on this thread for the future though.

x In memory of Barney x

Offline Countrygirl

• Donator
    • Countrygirl
« Reply #3 on: July 26, 2012, 10:50:45 PM »
I buy cheap supermarket beer, put some in an old bowl and go around the garden at night with a trowel collecting slugs & snails.  They happily get drunk and drown.  OH & the neighbours think I am mad but, although I hate them, I have to kill them as kindly as I can.  My record in 120 in one night.  Have to say though that some nights I don't find any and to be honest I don't do it every night.

Offline Petepreston

« Reply #4 on: July 26, 2012, 11:05:06 PM »
Thanks Jenny. Now I'm paranoid. We've had loads of wet weather lately and it's really brought them out. Posie has been drinking from puddles and she leaves balls out there all the time,

I'll be more careful from now on.

Offline PennyB

« Reply #5 on: July 26, 2012, 11:32:20 PM »
I agree with Jenny however, while we're not sure if Ruby has lungworm at the moment am not paranoid re it or you'd never take your dog out - what about the parks and other open spaces as they also have snail/slugs in them.

My vet has seen several cases recently probably because of the recent wet weather.
Friends of Hailey Park
Four Paws Animal Rescue (South Wales)

Cockers are just hooligans in cute clothing!

Offline Petepreston

« Reply #6 on: July 27, 2012, 09:09:44 AM »
For those of us who had been less than up to speed with this danger:

http://www.lungworm.co.uk/?gclid=CMOhqYGzubECFccLfAodNRoA9Q

I know it's effectively a Bayer ad, but it's correct, clear and succinct.

Offline Linda B

• Donator
« Reply #7 on: July 27, 2012, 11:02:10 AM »
Our Vets recommended using Advocate anti flea/ wormer treatment as it's also good for preventing lung worm, doesn't cover all worms so you have to top up with tape wormer.

Hope this helps.......as it's impossible to get rid of all slugs and snails.

Offline PennyB

« Reply #8 on: July 27, 2012, 11:36:19 AM »
advocate doesn't always get rid of some other worms as successfully as other wormers though.

I know of several pups where this has happened and they've been ill with worms generally
Friends of Hailey Park
Four Paws Animal Rescue (South Wales)

Cockers are just hooligans in cute clothing!