Author Topic: Excessive Shaking!  (Read 510 times)

Offline 7733lily

Excessive Shaking!
« on: September 06, 2012, 05:25:49 PM »
Hi, need some ideas please
Cooper, my second youngest, had some sleep in his eye about 2months ago which was a yellow/green colour but the white of his eye was fine and he was not rubbing it....I kept and eye on it for a couple of days and took him to the vets when my eldest was due for his booster injection....vet said she could not see anything wrong with his eyes or ears and said to give him 1 piriton everyday throughout the hayfever season as she thought it was connected....I did this and now his eyes are fine, have been for a while
However, now he shakes himself (as he would if he were wet, from head right down to the tail) several times a day...usually when excited or hot....does scratch his ears occasionally, but probably not even once a day and when I look in them/clean them they are spotless
I have recently changed all the boys to raw food, which they love, but could it be he's allergic to something he is eating?  They all eat the same
He has also been wormed and de-flead
Also, only changed his shampoo for one wash and now back to using his normal shampoo if that helps?
Any ideas please?

Offline piph

• Donator
  • Ozzy and Jess
Re: Excessive Shaking!
« Reply #1 on: September 06, 2012, 05:36:57 PM »
My 17 week old blue roan boy Ozzy gives himself several little shakes every day, often when he first wakes up - I assume that he's just shaking his hairy coat into place, and have never even though about it.  It's very cute, it starts at his head and then moves down his body in a wave, right to the tip of his tail!

Offline Helen

• helen noakes jewellery
« Reply #2 on: September 06, 2012, 05:37:46 PM »
I think you need to pin down exactly when he shakes - it could be that after stressful/exciting situations where he is shaking to release adrenaline.

If Jarv has an encounter with another dog that unsettles him he very often has a massive shake straight after which is to get rid of heightened adrenaline  ;)   It wouldn't explain the heat thing though  :-\
helen & jarvis x

Offline 7733lily

« Reply #3 on: September 06, 2012, 10:06:15 PM »
you're right Helen he is a very highly strung dog, but always has been, and does get over excited/anxious at the slightest thing when I get up/come home or getting ready to take them for a walk...although this just seems to have escalated recently and now transformed into this shaking  :huh:
The main times are when I come down in the morning, getting ready to go for a walk and sometimes on the walk and then if he has been asleep on the sofa of an evening he gets a bit hot and when he gets up to move somewhere cooler usually does it then as well
He does have the occasional scratch with his back foot along his side up towards his armpit but again nothing much, probably just a couple of times a day, but he has been deflead recently
wonder if it could be an allergy as I suffer with hayfever and if I get overheated I start to itch all over....so I'm thinking getting excited would make him heat-up and therefore he might feel itchy  :huh: so maybe the hayfever thing which started with his eyes
The only other option is the food, and although every dog is different, he eats the same as the others and they eat something different everyday so doesn't have one thing more than anything else, so not sure thats the issue
I'm at a loss....maybe I will keep a diary of when he does it, how often and what he has eaten that day to see if there's a link....do you think I should go back to 1 piriton everyday to see if that helps or is that not a good idea if its not an allergy for definite?

Offline 7733lily

« Reply #4 on: September 06, 2012, 10:27:00 PM »
I've just seen Yumega oil suggested for hayfever syptoms in dogs which I know is someting you suggested to me Helen on another thread about Cooper's coat not being shiny
I think I will definitely order some....

Offline PennyB

« Reply #5 on: September 06, 2012, 10:37:33 PM »
Mine have been scratching and have the odd flea depsite the fact I've deflead everyone and sprayed the house - they've been hard work to shift this year as has everything else (hay fever in humans has been worse this year as well)
Friends of Hailey Park
Four Paws Animal Rescue (South Wales)

Cockers are just hooligans in cute clothing!