Author Topic: Worming and suppliments - how often and what?  (Read 846 times)

Offline ATB

Worming and suppliments - how often and what?
« on: August 01, 2013, 12:49:34 PM »
Before I start - please forgive my ignorance but I'm looking for a bit of 'back to basics' advice in regards to what treatments I need to give P regularily. What do your dogs get and when?

At the moment she gets Advocate spot on every month supplied by my vet. I took out a package with them which included 6 months of treatment, so that's due to end soon. Should I keep on with this and buy it myself, how often? I'd actually rather give her a worming tablet, as I find the Advocate mess and most ends up running down her hair rather than soaking into the skin. Are there other worming treatments I could use?

My friend gives her Lab Cod Liver Oil - is there anything else suppliment wise she should be getting? She's fed on James Welbeloved Junior Kibble.

So sorry to seem totally stupid, but advice I look up is often conflicting - so would really appreciate being told what I need to give her in simple terms and I know you people are the folk to do it!!

Many thanks in advance!

Offline Mudmagnets

• Site Member
  • My boys
Re: Worming and suppliments - how often and what?
« Reply #1 on: August 01, 2013, 01:06:29 PM »
Smudge gets Milbemax worming tablet every 3 months, but no other supplements up till now - that may change due to his current probs, not sure.

I usually crunch the tablet up and add it to his morning feed - so I can see the outcome during the day.  ph34r

For flea control I use Advantage spot on once every six weeks - check out the websites, many are cheaper than the vets for this. I use Vetuk for mine and get them when I order Naturediet, then I don't pay postage/delivery

http://www.vetuk.co.uk/advantage-flea-control-advantage-for-dogs-c-3_660_874

btw it's not being stupid at all, there are so many choices and views out there, that it can be totally confusing as to what is best. I used to buy most of my stuff for the animals from the vets - until somebody told me about shopping online  :D
Remembering Smudge 23/11/2006 - 3/8/2013, and Branston 30/8/14 - 28/10/22 both now at the Bridge.

Offline Jane57

• Donator
  • Riley
« Reply #2 on: August 01, 2013, 01:15:55 PM »
I give Riley frontline combo every 4-6 weeks, I also give him a drontal bone shaped wormer every 3 months. He hates it and can smell it in everything.
I usually end up giving it in 3 pieces in a bit of primula cheese. Even then he knows its there.

He gets salmon oil every day added to his food too.

Offline Homebird

• Jessie 24.01.2001 - 11.08.2012
« Reply #3 on: August 01, 2013, 01:27:06 PM »
I found Jessie actually liked the bone shaped drontal but hated the tablet!  I wormed every 3 months on vet's advice but I didn't take the advice to frontline etc every month.  I think that depends on how likely your dog is to pick up fleas etc.  and the time of year.  I did treat her in the summer for the one effective against lungworm and for fleas etc if she was going in to kennels.

I don't think it is good for the dog or for your home environment to use these chemicals every month - they are on the coat and skin and you stroke the dog - so it doesn't seem advisable to  me but that is just my opinion.  I also found the frontline didn't work on the ticks unless it was within a couple of days of using it.

Offline ATB

« Reply #4 on: August 06, 2013, 04:01:54 PM »
Apologies I forgot to come back to this.

Thank you for advice, I'll probably order from VetUk - already get her rice bones from there so happy to add to the order and save postage!

Oh yes - will I actually see worms coming out in her poo after the tablet???  :-\

Offline ATB

« Reply #5 on: August 06, 2013, 04:09:20 PM »
I don't think it is good for the dog or for your home environment to use these chemicals every month - they are on the coat and skin and you stroke the dog - so it doesn't seem advisable to  me but that is just my opinion.  I also found the frontline didn't work on the ticks unless it was within a couple of days of using it.

I agree with that - as I mentioned I find the Advocate messy - when applying it I got it on my fingers and found it had melted my nail polish!

Offline elaine.e

• Sweet William
« Reply #6 on: August 06, 2013, 05:55:40 PM »

Oh yes - will I actually see worms coming out in her poo after the tablet???  :-\

You might, if she's actually got worms, but there's a fair chance she won't have them anyway. I can't give any statistics on it, but not all dogs have worms! Mine had a wormcount done earlier this year and Louis came up as clear for roundworm, tapeworm and lungworm while William had a medium burden of roundworm and a low burden of tapeworm and was clear for lungworm. I wormed William afterwards but not Louis. I'm just about to get them checked again.

I don't use flea or tick preventatives at all because I don't like bombarding them with chemicals unnecessarily. I check for ticks after walks and remove them as I find them and also check for fleas when I groom them. They haven't had fleas for the last 3 years or so. There are various herbal mixess like Billy No Mates which help deter fleas.

Mine both have a quality fish oil (not cod liver oil as it contains a lot of Vitamin A, which can be toxic in large doses) added to their food a couple of times a week, plus William has Riaflex, which contains glucosamine and chondroitin. He has lumbosacral disc damage so I think giving him a supplement to help keep his 9 year old body supple may help prevent the need for disc surgery in the future if I keep him slim and fit.

Offline JanineH

« Reply #7 on: August 06, 2013, 06:37:15 PM »
I've started giving Alf virgin coconut oil.

I did a lot of research when Jazzy developed dementia and coconut oil seems to be the new wonder stuff for treating skin problems and joint problems as well as improving brain function.

I put a teaspoonful in his food and massage some into his skin since he had the flea problem.

Offline ATB

« Reply #8 on: August 07, 2013, 08:42:08 AM »
Great thanks for all advice. Drontal and the like don't cover lungworm - should I be looking for that does?

She goes to a dog sitter, so does have contact with other dogs which could pass on fleas (I hope not but you never know!) so I do want to give her something as a deterant. The dog sitter herself mentioned garlic, but not sure how much/in what form I should be give her as I know it can be poisionous.

Offline ATB

« Reply #9 on: August 07, 2013, 08:47:21 AM »
I've started giving Alf virgin coconut oil.

I did a lot of research when Jazzy developed dementia and coconut oil seems to be the new wonder stuff for treating skin problems and joint problems as well as improving brain function.

I put a teaspoonful in his food and massage some into his skin since he had the flea problem.

Thanks, I sometimes use this on my skin and hair so can see why it would be a benefit to dogs too! Touch wood she doesn't have skin complaints, but would be happy to give her it if it could help with joints.

As for advice about fish oil and cod liver oil - My friend who I mentioned dog was very ill after stealing and eating a whole tub of them. I thought it was Vit C - but must have been vit A. that was the problem.

Offline Amus1

« Reply #10 on: August 07, 2013, 09:52:44 AM »

You might, if she's actually got worms, but there's a fair chance she won't have them anyway. I can't give any statistics on it, but not all dogs have worms! Mine had a wormcount done earlier this year and Louis came up as clear for roundworm, tapeworm and lungworm while William had a medium burden of roundworm and a low burden of tapeworm and was clear for lungworm. I wormed William afterwards but not Louis. I'm just about to get them checked again.

I don't use flea or tick preventatives at all because I don't like bombarding them with chemicals unnecessarily. I check for ticks after walks and remove them as I find them and also check for fleas when I groom them. They haven't had fleas for the last 3 years or so. There are various herbal mixess like Billy No Mates which help deter fleas.

Mine both have a quality fish oil (not cod liver oil as it contains a lot of Vitamin A, which can be toxic in large doses) added to their food a couple of times a week, plus William has Riaflex, which contains glucosamine and chondroitin. He has lumbosacral disc damage so I think giving him a supplement to help keep his 9 year old body supple may help prevent the need for disc surgery in the future if I keep him slim and fit.

How did they go about the wormcount Elaine?

I have to say I have only used flea treatment once on spike, (10year old collie), he has never had fleas - only once and I know exactly where he picked them up! At the vets!! ph34r >:D lol.
He had been in for a checkup and to have the usual lumps and bumps looked at! Lol.  I noticed when he got home that he was scratching and biting at his abdomen etc. so contacted the vets and back again. They couldn't find anything ! So back home I put him in the bath and brushed him then showered him (had an insecticidal shampoo to hand) and found about 10 red marks in the bath - flea dirt turns red when wet!- found about 5 fleas on him! So I frontlined him then!
But he is regularly brushed and takes regular dips too.
He's never had any ticks yet either.

I use milbemax or drontal wormers - which ever the vet supply when I ask for them. It isn't always every three months. Again it's all loading them with chemicals etc. my older dog will eat the bone shaped flavoured tablets (drontal) from the packet! Haha. He actually begged for his this week!
Flynn my cocker must have a finer set of taste buds - he spat them out! No problem to just pop them in his mouth and rub his throat and he swallows them.

Cod liver oil capsules are used here too!!

Offline Biddy

« Reply #11 on: August 07, 2013, 10:04:47 AM »
Hi,
We give Jake Advocate every four weeks  ( covers lung worm as a preventer)fleas and worms, and Drontal plus every three or four months to cover tape worm. We get it from our vet reasonably priced. We pay a monthly amount and it covers flea and worm treatment and also the annual vaccines and the three year vaccines,and other things too. I  can be sure of the source too as I would never buy medicines on line for myself so don't for my little one either.
There doesn't seem to be a product to do all worms and fleas.
We were advised to do this by our vet as Jake likes snails - although not so much now that he is over a year but will still pick them up for a play and occasional munch.

Don't give supplements he seems to be ok on his kibble and tripe.

We apply Jake's Advocate at bed time when he is quite sleepy - seems to work best for us then it is dry by the morning and no worries of it getting on us or not all soaking into him if he is rolling around and playing.

It took me a while to get my head round what was best for him esp as he is our first dog.
Good luck with what ever you decide to give your girl.