Author Topic: Thoughts for Sheryl's little Lyla (updated today 18th)  (Read 10080 times)

Offline Carolanne

Re: Thoughts for Sheryl's little Lyla (updated today 18th)
« Reply #135 on: August 19, 2014, 02:33:19 PM »
Sending thoughts and prayers for Lyla and hoping she will improve.  Such a worrying time.

Offline Helen

• helen noakes jewellery
« Reply #136 on: August 19, 2014, 04:05:21 PM »
Lyla was taken back in today and had her wee bum checked for breakdown of the op site, her spine and neck examined, her abdomen x rayed for anything untoward and everything was fine. Her bloods were taken again and between Friday and today her Lipase levels had shot up which meant she did have acute pancreatitis. Her urea levels were also up so she was dehydrated too. They had treated her for it on the Friday but it just managed to get a really strong hold on her. She is really still recovering from her gland op and she had a chronic ear infection so Laurie thinks her wee body just couldn't fight on all fronts.

The awful thing about it is it's my fault. I bought fat balls for the birds. They were in a solid metal hanger with small holes in it. For two days we had that sideways battering rain and it managed to crumble the fat balls. I never thought that it would fall out of the holder but it did and now Lylas paying for it :'(
Anyway, she is more comfortable now although still a poorly girl. Laurie is on call so she will be in and out of the surgery all night which is great for Lyla.

I cannot thank you enough for all your kind thought and prayers for my wee girl. I have read the messages and it helps so much to know you were all behind her. It's quite overwhelming to come on here and see so many good wishes. The word brave came up and that is Lyla. She has had more pain and ops than one little girl should have to cope with but she battles away, determined to be where she wants to be. I don't know what I did to deserve her but I feel blessed that I'm her Mummy. :luv:

Many thanks to Poppsie for posting on here and also for listening to me blubbering on the phone when I didn't know which way was up! Hopefully it won't be long before Lyla turns the corner and I can get her home.

Thank you again everyone xxx

Sheryl, unless you saw her eat the fat ball then you're kicking yourself for no reason  :shades:  Pancreatitis is not just caused by fatty food.  When I first read this thread I thought that it's no surprise given the drugs she's had to endure with her recent op and the stress this causes  - here's an excerpt from the Whole Dog Journal and a link because the whole article - about 5 pages -  is really good reading, particularly the info on recovery diet.

"Causes of pancreatitis

Pancreatitis is often blamed on high-fat diets, though there is little scientific evidence to support this. Active, working dogs, such as sled dogs, can eat as much as 60 percent fat in their diets without developing pancreatitis, but too much fat may cause trouble for middle-aged, overweight, relatively inactive dogs, who are the ones most commonly affected by pancreatitis. Too much fat can also cause problems for some dogs with chronic pancreatitis.

Dietary indiscretion, such as eating rancid fatty scraps from the garbage, can also lead to pancreatitis, particularly when a dog accustomed to a low- or normal-fat diet ingests high-fat foods. That’s why pancreatitis incidents are thought to increase after Thanksgiving, when people may feed their dogs a meal of turkey skin and drippings.

Low-protein diets have also been shown to predispose dogs to pancreatitis, especially when combined with high fat intake. Some prescription diets may be a concern, such as those prescribed to dissolve struvite bladder stones; to prevent calcium oxalate, urate, or cystine stones; and to treat kidney disease; especially for breeds prone to pancreatitis.

Several medications have been associated with pancreatitis, most recently the combination of potassium bromide and phenobarbital used to control epilepsy. This combination has a much higher risk of causing pancreatitis than phenobarbital alone (no studies have been done on the use of potassium bromide by itself).

Many other medications have been linked to pancreatitis, though the relationship is not always clear. These include certain antibiotics (sulfa drugs, tetracycline, metronidazole, nitrofurantoin); chemotherapy agents (azathioprine, L-asparaginase, vinca alkaloids); diuretics (thiazides, furosemide); other antiepileptic drugs (valproic acid, carbamazepine); hormones (estrogen); long-acting antacids (cimetidine, ranitidine); Tylenol (acetaminophen); and aspirin (salicylates).

Corticosteroids, such as prednisone, are especially controversial: while veterinarians have long considered them to be the most common drug to cause pancreatitis, recent human studies have discounted this link. Based on anecdotal evidence, however, I believe the association does exist in dogs. I personally know dogs who developed pancreatitis within days of being given corticosteroids.

[IMGCAP(1)]

Toxins, particularly organophosphates (insecticides used in some flea control products), as well as scorpion stings and toxic levels of zinc, may also lead to pancreatitis.

http://www.whole-dog-journal.com/issues/11_11/features/Canine-Pancreatitis-Symptoms-and-Treatment_16081-1.html

Certain conditions may predispose a dog to pancreatitis. These include diabetes mellitus (though it is not clear whether pancreatitis precedes diabetes); acute hypercalcemia (high levels of calcium in the blood, usually from a calcium infusion or poisoning rather than diet or supplements); hyperlipidemia (high fat content in the blood, again usually due to metabolic disorder rather than diet); hypothyroidism; and Cushing’s disease (hyperadrenocorticism).

Both diabetes and hypothyroidism can affect fat metabolism and lead to hyperlipidemia, which may predispose a dog to pancreatitis. Miniature Schnauzers are prone to developing hyperlipidemia and thus may have an increased risk of pancreatitis. Obesity predisposes dogs to pancreatitis, and the disease is often more severe in dogs who are overweight."

:bigarmhug: x

helen & jarvis x

Offline fiona2

• Donator
« Reply #137 on: August 20, 2014, 08:01:34 PM »
How's Lyla?

Offline Catty_G

• Donator
« Reply #138 on: August 20, 2014, 09:49:28 PM »
I was just wondering the same. Hope she is improving.
My goal in life is to be as good of a person my dog already thinks I am

Offline Cassie01

• Theis 08.04.2012-11.12.2012
« Reply #139 on: August 24, 2014, 08:40:34 AM »
Saw her piccies on the photo board - delighted to read that she's home. Hope these last few days are seeing lots of improvement.   :luv: