Author Topic: Adopting a Deaf Cocker  (Read 3443 times)

Offline AndyB

• Donator
Adopting a Deaf Cocker
« on: July 12, 2020, 09:22:28 PM »
I may have the opportunity to adopt an 18 month old Cocker bitch who is deaf.  I have no experience of owning a deaf dog but am a very experienced Cocker owner, having had 4 Cockers over a period of nearly 40 years.  I lost my male Cocker nearly 18 months ago and have now decided to adopt an adult dog rather than have another puppy.  As we are all aware, the situation with rescue dogs and puppies is completely crazy at the moment and I knew this would not be easy.  I know deafness is quite common in certain breeds and owners use signing to train their dog with great success.  Does anyone have experience of owning a deaf Cocker who could offer any advice.

Offline ejp

• Donator
Re: Adopting a Deaf Cocker
« Reply #1 on: July 12, 2020, 10:01:14 PM »
Not had a deaf dog who was deaf from birth, just Bertie when he got older.  I found my self using signals for him and it kind of worked, we muddled by.  I am so pleased you are thinking of a dog again, very happy for you.

Offline AndyB

• Donator
« Reply #2 on: July 12, 2020, 10:32:56 PM »
Thanks ejp.  I realised today how much I used hand signals with my previous dogs.  Jazz went deaf about two years before he died and I used to call him and slap my hip when he was in the garden and I wanted him to come in.  Also, I think we have all wagged a finger at our dogs when they have done something naughty. 

It's been a long road since I lost Jazz and I have considered getting a puppy but had a bit of a crisis of confidence as I'd always had my husband whenever we got a new dog, David died 5 years ago.   I now feel more than ready to welcome a new Cocker into my life, there is definitely a Cocker shaped hole in my heart and I have reached the conclusion that for me re-homing an adult dog is the way forward.  Not very easy at the moment though. 

Offline bizzylizzy

• Donator
  • 🙂 Jayne
« Reply #3 on: July 13, 2020, 06:48:49 AM »
After 40 years of cocker ownership I think you‘re as well qualified as anyone to take on this challenge. I don‘t have any experience of deaf dogs myself (except the normal „cocking a deaf ear of course, which we all know about! ;) ) but I would imagine the key to overcoming this disability is the same as with any dog, i.e. based on trust, patience and understanding. 18 months is a good age, you‘ll have avoided the trials and tribulations of puppyhood while starting with a dog who‘s still young enough to bond with and will be eager to learn
Only you can make the final decision but going on what you‘ve said and also on the good advice you‘ve given to others on here, I‘d say go for it! You have your friends here on COL for support and I‘m sure with the right mindset, which you have, you‘ll find solutions to any problems. Very best of luck!  :luv:

Offline Jaysmumagain

• Donator
« Reply #4 on: July 13, 2020, 03:00:19 PM »
Firstly I really think that the rescue route is great idea,  it seems the RSPCA etc feel there will be so many dogs coming there way sadly.

I have never had a deaf dog so cant advise....but animals like humans adapt and I think it would be a learning curve for both of you....hope so advice will come your way.

Cocker kisses and cuddles just make my day!

You are always with me darlings Jaypup and my precious Oliver you are so missed

Offline ejp

• Donator
« Reply #5 on: July 13, 2020, 03:37:29 PM »
Been thinking about this one, and I suspect you and your new chum will learn from each other and rub along nicely. A long line for runs in open spaces and other such safety measures will help. Daisy was about 2 when we got her, and it was lovely to have a young adult dog. I loved having pups, but they are a lot of work. The rescue may be able to advise of locally run classes to help, or perhaps look on you tube for some ideas. I am excited for you.

Offline AndyB

• Donator
« Reply #6 on: July 13, 2020, 04:13:11 PM »
I have looked on You Tube and also joined a Facebook group for owners of deaf dogs.  The response on there has been amazing in less than 24 hours.  All very positive and lovely people.   I am going to see her on Thursday and am very excited.  :luv: :luv:

Offline revis

« Reply #7 on: July 13, 2020, 04:58:12 PM »
Do hope that you get her.My last two rescue cockers  were deaf when they got older.they soon learnt signs etc .Pointing to the ceiling when i was going up stairs etc.The company she will give you will be amazing.I am on my own now and Murray is best friend ever.He is also blind in one eye .Do hope it goes well.

Offline ejp

• Donator
« Reply #8 on: July 13, 2020, 05:43:24 PM »
I have looked on You Tube and also joined a Facebook group for owners of deaf dogs.  The response on there has been amazing in less than 24 hours.  All very positive and lovely people.   I am going to see her on Thursday and am very excited.  :luv: :luv:
:banana: :banana: :banana: :banana: :banana:

Offline Finvarra

• Milo, best of dogs
    • Gaia Art
« Reply #9 on: July 13, 2020, 07:53:25 PM »
Milo went deaf for the last four or five years of his life. We used hand signals a lot, which he got the hang of. Careful never to come up behind him and startle,him, tried to approach from the front. Also kept him on a long lead, as worried he may get into trouble with a car or something and not hear us call him. I actually think it was more stressful for us than him. I don't know of your dog has been deaf from birth, but if so she will have known nothing different. Cockers are bright, she'll pick up hand signals quickly. Patience and consistency. Good luck 🤞😄
Remembering All the dogs of my life, especially Milo

Offline AndyB

• Donator
« Reply #10 on: July 13, 2020, 08:00:59 PM »
Thanks for all your support.  Yes I believe she has been deaf from birth so she won't know any different. 

Offline Jaysmumagain

• Donator
« Reply #11 on: July 13, 2020, 08:51:34 PM »
Bless her :luv:  hope all goes well on your meeting....do update us
Cocker kisses and cuddles just make my day!

You are always with me darlings Jaypup and my precious Oliver you are so missed

Offline AndyB

• Donator
« Reply #12 on: July 18, 2020, 05:12:25 AM »
I have now visited the deaf cocker and she is absolutely gorgeous. She was very shy at first but after around 30 minutes she had come up to me and I was permitted to stroke her under her chin.  She accepted some kibble from the flat of my hand, I took her for a very short walk with the lady who has rescued her.  She walks well, doesn't pull at all.  When I left the lady picked up the dog and I put my face by her and she nuzzled into my face a little, but no cocker kisses.  I am hoping to have a home check next week and see how things go from there.  It will have to be taken very slowly, the lady wants me to visit several times to get to know the dog and vice versa, (if I am judged to be a suitable adoptee).   I realise this is not going to be easy and the process will be very different to that of any other cocker I have owned.   Time will tell.  Thank you for all your support.   :luv: :luv:

Offline bizzylizzy

• Donator
  • 🙂 Jayne
« Reply #13 on: July 18, 2020, 07:18:07 AM »
Keeping fingers and paws crossed for you !!!! She sounds lovely.
Although its a waiting game for you, I think its great that the rescue does everything possible to ensure that the dog doesn‘t go to an unsuitable owner. Wouldn‘t it be wonderful if  everyone responsible for determining the futures of  dogs in their care were as conscientious  - (especially some of the back street breeders and the people charging silly money!  >:( )
Very very best of luck, I‘m sure the wait will be worth it!!!!  Do please keep us posted!  :luv:

Offline AndyB

• Donator
« Reply #14 on: July 18, 2020, 09:12:46 AM »
I definitely will.