Author Topic: Adopting a Deaf Cocker  (Read 3439 times)

Offline Jaysmumagain

• Donator
Re: Adopting a Deaf Cocker
« Reply #15 on: July 18, 2020, 10:45:18 AM »
I am hoping all works out for you.....fingers crossed.  She sounds a real love, please her :luv:
Cocker kisses and cuddles just make my day!

You are always with me darlings Jaypup and my precious Oliver you are so missed

Offline Emilyoliver

« Reply #16 on: July 18, 2020, 01:08:16 PM »
Good luck with her  :luv:

I’ve only had older cockers go deaf in their latter years, and by then they’d learned all the house/ walk routines and took cues from the other dogs too. However, I know a gundog trainer who bought a Young cocker to work on shoots. He thought there was something odd about the way she responded to training, and then discovered that she was deaf!  He successfully trained her and was able to work her as planned - so really the sky’s the limit as far as what can be achieved with patience and a great bond.

Hope your home check and subsequent meetings with her go well. Fingers crossed for you both xx
Michelle, Emily and Ollie

Offline AndyB

• Donator
« Reply #17 on: July 18, 2020, 01:26:57 PM »
Thank you all for your good wishes.   :luv:

Offline Finvarra

• Milo, best of dogs
    • Gaia Art
« Reply #18 on: July 18, 2020, 01:47:55 PM »
That's so encouraging to hear the rescuer is taking such care to make sure she gets a good home. The dog sounds lovely, so hope you will soon have her home and turning into your best pal. I should think being deaf she will focus on you a lot and be a real Velcro cocker  :luv:

Lesley and Dylan
Remembering All the dogs of my life, especially Milo

Offline Mudmagnets

• Site Member
  • My boys
« Reply #19 on: July 18, 2020, 06:44:38 PM »
Good luck, I hope all goes well and you have many happy years together.
Remembering Smudge 23/11/2006 - 3/8/2013, and Branston 30/8/14 - 28/10/22 both now at the Bridge.

Offline ejp

• Donator
« Reply #20 on: July 18, 2020, 08:35:48 PM »
That's a great update, it sounds like your meet and greet went really well.  I am impressed with the rescue it's a great idea to have a few visits to make the transition smoother for you both.  I am so pleased it all went so well, and I have everything crossed that it works out. 

Offline PennyB

« Reply #21 on: July 19, 2020, 11:54:15 AM »
Well done - am sure in time she will be just like any other cocker too (just as they are when they go blind as they never lose the cocker in them)
Friends of Hailey Park
Four Paws Animal Rescue (South Wales)

Cockers are just hooligans in cute clothing!

Offline annclare

« Reply #22 on: July 19, 2020, 02:00:55 PM »
Many years ago I used to dog sit a deaf cocker regularly (along with my own cockers); his name was Sweep and as I was quite deaf (even more so now) we got on like a house on fire! I have fond memories of him and am sure you will have a happy future together.

Offline AndyB

• Donator
« Reply #23 on: August 03, 2020, 04:23:21 AM »
 :luv: :luv: :luv:

I decided to wait a while before updating you all on my progress with Maisie.  The home check was carried out and all was fine.  The next stage was for Maisie to come to me for the whole day.  This went well and I started to feel a little bit in love with her.

The next stage was for Maisie to come for a "sleep over" lol, she stayed from Friday afternoon until Sunday evening, on the understanding that if all went well, she could stay with me permanently.  If I was not coping well with her she could go back to the rescue for more training.  Maisie arrived last Friday, (the hottest day of the year here).  On Friday night I put her to bed in her crate and shut the door, as instructed.  Maisie began barking and I went back into the kitchen to reassure her. The barking continued throughout the night, fortunately I live in detached bungalow so she wasn't disturbing my neighbours and my bedroom is the farthest room from the kitchen, with the background noise of the fan and me being extremely tired I did get some sleep.  I let Maisie out for a wee around 2.30 am and settled her back in the crate.  I got up at around 6.00 am, Maisie was barking again.  She spent most of the morning in the garden after having her breakfast.  At this stage she was still very nervous and wary of me. When I approached her she would run off.  Saturday night was much the same, a lot of barking during the night. 

Yesterday was a lovely day and again Maisie spent a lot of time in the garden.  She obviously felt safe in the garden where she could escape from me if she wanted to.  Also she has only spent five days in a house over the past three months.  She had been living in a kennel environment at the rescue and was only brought into the house last week with a view to her coming to stay with me.   By the afternoon she was feeling she could trust me a little more and was accepting a little stroke and a tickle.  After her dinner I decided I needed to keep her in the house for the evening because I have a large garden and she runs round it a lot I felt she was getting a bit hyper and would hopefully be more calm in the house.  She stayed in the lounge with me, pacing quite a bit.  Eventually she settled down and had a snooze.  Later in the evening I encouraged her to come to me and we had some gentle bonding fuss.  I fetched a fleece cover I used for Jazz and placed it on the sofa.  I lifted Maisie onto the sofa and we had real "Cocker cuddles".  She then settled down and eventually put her chin across my thigh and went to sleep.  I was completely thrilled, I felt we had turned a corner and she was starting to trust me and realise I am not such a bad person after all.  I put Maisie to bed in her crate, fully expecting lots of barking again.  She had a little wuffle but I didn't go back into the kitchen. I am delighted to tell you there wasn't a peep out of her all night.  I am so thrilled and over the moon to have her. There have been no toilet accidents at all, and when she wants to go out she barks furiously at the back door.  Today I will attempt a little walk with Maisie, I have been advised to take only baby steps with her but I really feel we turned a corner last night.  Maisie is a beautiful dog, and the couple of my friends who have seen her have both said straight away, Andrea facially she looks just like Jazz, my beloved boy who died last year. 

So I think I can officially say I have a new Cocker spaniel in my life, something I honestly thought would never happen with what is going on with dogs at the moment.  Today I will register her with my vet and await delivery of her new Rasberry pink leather collar.  Happy days ahead.  Thank you all again for your support and encouragement.  :luv: :luv:

Offline bizzylizzy

• Donator
  • 🙂 Jayne
« Reply #24 on: August 03, 2020, 07:02:13 AM »
Andrea :luv:, I‘m so thrilled for you!! that‘s wonderful news!!
You and Maisie were just meant to be and she‘s clearly landed on all four paws!
I wish you lots of happy years together and look forward to hearing how she progresses.
Lots of  :bigarmhug: to you both and best wishes from both me and Humphrey!  :luv:

Offline Finvarra

• Milo, best of dogs
    • Gaia Art
« Reply #25 on: August 03, 2020, 08:43:28 AM »
Absolutely delighted for you, have been thinking about you and Maisie this weekend and wondering how it was going. It sounds as though you both become great pals, and Dylan and me wish you all the best together. How lovely to hear a story with a happy ending  :banana: :banana: :luv:

Lesley and Dylan
Remembering All the dogs of my life, especially Milo

Offline phoenix

• Donator
« Reply #26 on: August 03, 2020, 10:10:07 AM »
That’s the best news ever!   It’s been so hard to find any cocker and you’ve been so patient and determined. Maisie is acting absolutely naturally for any dog whose routine has been erratic, so it’s wonderful for her to have a stable and experienced home. Thrilled for both of you xx
RIP Marti  the EPI springer age 12,  and beloved black cocker Bobby, 8 yrs old, too soon, from PLN.
Now owned by TInker, tiny hairy grey poodle/terrier rescue from Greece and Jack, local rescue,   scruffy ginger terrier mutt.

Offline Jaysmumagain

• Donator
« Reply #27 on: August 03, 2020, 12:29:11 PM »
Andrea  .... I am in tears of joy at this news....I had thought so often over the weekend about you and praying all was fine, I had spoke to hubby and we both said that we felt if Maisie settled she was very much going to be your girl and the rehoming lady was not going to so much time and effect looking elsewhere.

I am so over the moon for you and welling up again and dashing off to tell OH the good news.

Julie and cocker kisses and hugs to Maisie from Ollie.

Cocker kisses and cuddles just make my day!

You are always with me darlings Jaypup and my precious Oliver you are so missed

Offline Grasmere9

« Reply #28 on: August 03, 2020, 02:02:01 PM »
 :luv: :luv: :luv:Oh my goodness...I am in floods of tears!! My 16 week old Cocker is looking at me very oddly!! :005: I hope you both enjoy many happy years together.

Offline ejp

• Donator
« Reply #29 on: August 03, 2020, 02:29:32 PM »
Fantastic. I am overjoyed for you and Maisie  :luv: I have been thinking of you both, such a good outcome. Persistence has paid dividends for the two of you. Thank you for sharing this with us, it's heartwarming to be able to share your progress. Enjoy. X