Author Topic: To Neuter or not?  (Read 1818 times)

Offline RebeccaB

To Neuter or not?
« on: July 13, 2020, 04:08:30 PM »
I have a 20 month old entire cocker, Flint, who has in the last 3 months or so shown more & more aggression to other dogs. It’s making walks fraught since we have to lead him every time we see a new (unknown) dog in case he pins it down. Is this natural teenage hormonal development that will ebb as he gets older or is it permanent? I’m reluctant to get him neutered because I don’t want his coat to change. Does anyone have experience of the chemical implant? Once it wears off, does the coat revert back to the silky one it is now or does it stay permanently woolly?

Any advice or guidance would be welcomed as I’m aware at the age he’s reached I need to make a decision before it’s too late.

Offline ejp

• Donator
Re: To Neuter or not?
« Reply #1 on: July 13, 2020, 04:14:37 PM »
Hello and welcome to you and Flint. The main reason for neutering your boy is, in my opinion, to avoid the stress of a bitch in season nearby, and health issues in later life. Prostate problems etc. Not used the chemical options so I can't comment on those, but hopefully someone else can.

Offline Barry H

« Reply #2 on: July 14, 2020, 10:02:51 AM »
I have a show cocker, now 5, and  decided against neutering for many reasons the main one being that it's not something I could do to my best mate - as well as not wanting his coat to change.   Although the teenage years are 'challenging' I don't think neutering or chemical implants are necessarily the answer to behavioural problems - and may not work in any case.   I could advise you to speak to your vet but I'm a cynical old f*rt and not convinced they're impartial when there's easy money to be made.  Much depends on the vet.  Rather, I'd suggest you ramp up the training remembering that your little hooligan will calm down as he gets older.  Training has to be the first and preferred response and should always be regarded as ongoing, not abandoned after the basics have been mastered.  It will take patience, persistence and commitment but if that's what it takes then so be it.  If you don't feel comfortable or confident doing it yourself (lots of help online) you can always have a chat with a qualified trainer/behaviourist.

Online bizzylizzy

• Donator
  • 🙂 Jayne
« Reply #3 on: July 14, 2020, 06:29:42 PM »
I‘m with Barry here. My dog was neutered last year aged 4 but for medical reasons (he had an undescended testicle which posed a risk of turning cancerous). It has most definately spoiled his coat, he produces a lot more undercoat so I have to really keep on top of brushing and combing otherwise it gets very tangled. The hair on the bridge of his nose and the side of his face has completely changed, making him look much older. He‘s also become a lot more food obsessed, constantly looking to scavenge while we‘re walking which he didn‘t used to do.
Regarding his behaviour, - he still gets excited if he smells a bitch on heat, (although he doesn‘t pine anymore if there‘s one in the neighbourhood, and that IS an advantage). He seems to have lost a bit confidence around other entire males now and tends to growl and go on the offensive - however he has been attacked a couple of times, so its hard to say if its a result of the attacks or the castration.
I‘d never have been able to live with myself if his testicle had  caused problems, so I followed the vets advice and went ahead but it does sadden me and I really wish I hadn‘t had to do it.
Adolescent dogs are no different to teenagers really, they try to flex their muscles and see how far they can go. They can try your patience but with consistency and positive training, they come out the other end and eventually calm down.
There certainly are valid reasons for castration but personally, I wouldn‘t consider behaviour issues as one, I‘d certainly try training first.

Offline Jaysmumagain

• Donator
« Reply #4 on: July 15, 2020, 11:23:44 AM »
I can't comment on the implant....however I had a Westie some 25 years back and he was very aggressive when out and at home, the vet suggested an injection and said if it helped then neutering would. But in the end he was neutered.  It mad no difference what so ever to him and he displayed no change in character - whether around dogs or humans - in the end when I was looking to the worst scenario a new vet sent me to a police dog trainer and it was the training that helped the most.

On to my cocker Ollie who is 12 years.....I did not have him neutered - this over riding view to neuter was made clear by one vet and I was really annoyed that he should suggest this a each annual visit...I believe strongly that unless a medical need is there then why go ahead, I hope I am a responsible owner and have never had Ollie roam away from me.  But last year he had a hernia repair and the vet ( she is a marvel) said he should be castrated as well due to possible problems with hormones. 

So at 11 years I had a cocker spaniel who's coat has turned in to a curly wurly bear and who girth is wider and Mum constantly restricts any treats. He is timid when walking that I find myself choosing quiet times and areas to walk...he is still very much the king of his patch and rules the house and his two humans :luv: but he is a different and unsure boy when out.

I am sorry such a long post but it is really something to consider and I hope my experience may help. 
Cocker kisses and cuddles just make my day!

You are always with me darlings Jaypup and my precious Oliver you are so missed

Offline RebeccaB

« Reply #5 on: July 15, 2020, 04:17:44 PM »
Thank you all for your input. As you can tell, I’m reluctant to neuter as I feel it’s unnecessary unless it poses a serious health risk. However, we’ve been training really hard (Absolute Dogs Sexier Than A Squirrel & Training Academy online) plus we’ve been to a couple of behaviourists. Sadly, no matter how good he is in the garden at home - and also most often out - when the red mist descends, there’s no getting through to him. Today was his weirdest reaction yet. On a walk, he sniffed some pee & started growling & then got super agitated, running up and down barking & growling. It was like he was terrified but very defensive. It was only my husband & I there, bizarre.

I’ll try & stick it out & keep the training games going & hope to goodness he grows out of it soon.

Thank you all for being there, it’s so hard dealing with it in isolation.

Online bizzylizzy

• Donator
  • 🙂 Jayne
« Reply #6 on: July 15, 2020, 07:27:53 PM »
Where did this happen today? Is it possible that he could smell any wildlife? We get quite a lot of wild boar around here which always worries Humphrey (same might apply if he smelt foxes or rodents, ), even a bitch on heat could upset him, or simply a new (entire male) kid on the block!!
Distraction is a sometimes a useful way out of problem situations but the distraction needs to be something that‘s more interesting than the situation. Try and find something that he really enjoys and results in a positive reward that you can use to get his attention. Humphrey loves his food dummy for instance - I hide it or throw it for him to bring back and he gets lots of praise and a favourite treat when he brings it back and drops it at my feet. I always have it in my pocket, we use it as a treat and consequently he loves it. Some dogs will drop everything for a ball, others are food obsessed, - you know your dog best and what he‘d really leave home for!  :lol2:   Whatever you do, try to be patient, its probably insecurity or fear that sparks aggresive behaviour, doing something that he‘s successful at and leads to something positive will help him gain confidence.Best of luck!

Offline ejp

• Donator
« Reply #7 on: July 15, 2020, 07:53:47 PM »
Agree with BizzyLizzy, that sounds like he has scented something that has spooked him.  It's difficult when they are reactive, a high value distraction is a great idea.  Stick with it, you will get there.

Offline RebeccaB

« Reply #8 on: July 15, 2020, 08:34:19 PM »
Evening all. The incident today was in the woods in Sussex, so either another dog or deer scent would be my best guess. We do lots of training games like Middle, Thunder, Tornado, sit, stay, touch, two paws on, etc, but any advice on specific training/Games would be helpful. Also, what treats work best for you? Flint like cheese, chicken or sardines But their allure isn’t necessarily enough in those high agitation situations.

I really appreciate your input, thanks everyone xx

Offline Barry H

« Reply #9 on: July 16, 2020, 11:39:45 AM »
TBH it sounds like you're doing a great job, so please don't get too discouraged.  Everything seems to take ages, but all your hard work WILL pay off in the long run so just keep going and stay positive...

The only other thing that may help would be to find an older, chilled out dog that you could go out with (or even borrow!) so Flint could learn by example.  I know it's a long shot and may not be possible at the mo' but perhaps something to have a think about.

I haven't found anything that works when the red mist descends (just about impossible I think - well it is with Jack), but for high value treats, only you'll know what he likes best.  I use ready sliced roast chicken (supermarket packs - the decent stuff that actually looks and tastes like chicken - not the formed rubbish!) and break chunks off.  Smoked ham also works well, or liver sausage - the stinkier the better!

Online bizzylizzy

• Donator
  • 🙂 Jayne
« Reply #10 on: July 16, 2020, 01:59:27 PM »
-just a point,  incase you don’t do so already:- walking before a meal when he’s hungry rather  than afterwards makes food rewards a bit more effective.....not necessarily helpful for your current problem but as a general rule, its easier to train a hungry dog.  :lol2:
I try to vary the treats a bit and keep the firm favourites as jackpots as a special reward. Humphrey likes cheese, (you also can put soft cheese into refillable tubes and let him lick the end, which some dogs love), cooked chicken or turkey or home made liver cake (wizz up some liver in the mixer, add an egg and some flour, spread on a baking tin and pop in the oven until firm)  I cut it  into tiny cubes, freeze and take a handful out as required.