Author Topic: Billy No Mates  (Read 1233 times)

Offline AndyB

• Donator
Billy No Mates
« on: August 19, 2020, 03:46:45 AM »
I know some COL members use Billy No Mates for flea and tick prevention.  Can you advise how effective it is and which type you have found best.  There seems to be a liquid form and possibly a powder type product from what I can see on Amazon. I have always used Advantage on my previous dogs but have never felt entirely happy putting chemicals onto their skin. 

Offline Finvarra

• Milo, best of dogs
    • Gaia Art
Re: Billy No Mates
« Reply #1 on: August 19, 2020, 09:33:21 AM »
I have been using it this summer because when I used Advantix (which did work well), it made him itchy and he would rub himself against the wall. He had had one treatment of Advantix in May I think, same old problem of itchiness, so I got the BNM. I haven't found any fleas on him at all, but we don't seem bothered with fleas here, but I have removed four ticks. That's quite good going for the summer, as we are in Scotland and ticks are rife, we get rabbits and deer in the garden, si it's hard to avoid. However the ticks are easy to remove with the Tom o tick. In other years I have been removing several ticks a week, so although it doesn't eliminate them entirely, they have certainly been less. I shall use it again next year. I use the powder, a teaspoon mixed in his food, he eats no problem. It has a lovely smell too.

Lesley
Remembering All the dogs of my life, especially Milo

Offline Emilyoliver

« Reply #2 on: August 19, 2020, 10:08:18 AM »
Hi,  If you're looking for natural tick prevention - these are recommended (I have some friends who use them and love them): https://www.facebook.com/Bugoffnaturaldogcollars/

(Only reason I haven't used them yet is because we don't have much livestock where we live -mostly crops - so not much of a tick problem).  The bug-off collars look good value when compared to Seresto and similar collars.
Michelle, Emily and Ollie

Offline ejp

• Donator
« Reply #3 on: August 19, 2020, 11:25:44 AM »
I use the BNM liquid as I just add the drops to the food. 

Offline Archie bean

• Donator
  • Archie. RIP bridge babies Sherwood and Dickon.
    • Emma Graham Harpist
« Reply #4 on: August 19, 2020, 09:01:50 PM »
I’ve used it for years. I use the powder - just a teaspoon in his food every day. Archie is very prone to ticks(we have a lot round here)  and they are kept totally at bay by the BNM. I like it as it seems to deter them before they bite so no possibility of any nasties getting passed on.

Offline AndyB

• Donator
« Reply #5 on: August 20, 2020, 05:38:22 AM »
Thanks a lot for all your replies.  I'd certainly feel a lot happier to use BNM than introducing chemicals into my dog's body.  I have had Maisie for nearly 3 weeks now and have noticed she seems to be scratching more.  We do get a lot of "visitors" into the garden at night.  Foxes, Badgers and possibly the odd rat, Ugh, so I'm wondering if she may have acquired a little friend since she arrived here.  I have never actually seen a flea on any of my dogs but have had problems in the past with itchiness, particularly with Jazz, my beautiful blue roan boy.

Offline ejp

• Donator
« Reply #6 on: August 20, 2020, 08:24:14 AM »
https://www.aromesse.com/skin-problem/petnat-shampoo-itchy-skin.html#SID=7
I use the shampoo bar for Daisy, she does tend to get itchy as well, but not a flea problem.  This does seem to help, and it is handy to use.

Offline rubyduby

« Reply #7 on: August 22, 2020, 09:26:50 AM »
I tied BNM when we lived in Scotland as we were getting an average of 6 ticks per day on the dogs from May to October, it wasnt a roaring success but it did help, so worth a try