Author Topic: Fulthalmic (sp!!)  (Read 10157 times)

Offline silkstocking

• Site Member
Fulthalmic (sp!!)
« on: April 17, 2007, 09:45:49 PM »
Nancy is looking like she has conjunctivitis which she has had before ::)

Randomly the GP gave me some Fulthalmic for Lily when I took her for a check up, incase she got sticky eye, well she didn't so I never used the Fulthalmic.

So my question is, can I use the Fulthamic the doc gave me for Lily on Nancy eye, as I know that this is what the Vet will prescibe anyway.

I mean it must be all the same thing, if it goes by the same name surely :-\ I know the vet. one does say just for vet. use on it.

What do you think? :D

Thanks guys :D

Offline *Jay*

• Donator
Re: Fulthalmic (sp!!)
« Reply #1 on: April 17, 2007, 09:49:06 PM »
Well if its any help, I got some from work when I had conjuctivitis - I was too tight to pay the prescription fee  :lol:  Cleared it up a treat too  ;)
Dallas ( 10) & Disney ( 9 )

Playing at the Bridge: Brook (13/06/04), Jackson (23/12/05) & Vegas (14/07/10)

Offline silkstocking

• Site Member
« Reply #2 on: April 17, 2007, 09:50:49 PM »
Well if its any help, I got some from work when I had conjuctivitis - I was too tight to pay the prescription fee  :lol:  Cleared it up a treat too  ;)

:lol: :lol: :shades: :shades:

Great Gill!

I was thinking to myself, why pay for a consultaion fee when I already know what it is  ph34r and why pay a prescription when I have stuff that will work ph34r :005:

Offline Nicola

• FTCh Caoimhe
« Reply #3 on: April 17, 2007, 09:53:42 PM »
This is what the vet gave Alfie when he had conjunctivitis last year and it is the same stuff that people use as I've had it before as well so I'd go ahead with it.
Nicola, Tilly, Rodaidh and Caoimhe x

http://www.flickr.com/photos/30049807@N08/

Offline silkstocking

• Site Member
« Reply #4 on: April 17, 2007, 09:56:36 PM »
This is what the vet gave Alfie when he had conjunctivitis last year and it is the same stuff that people use as I've had it before as well so I'd go ahead with it.

Excellent :shades:

I know it's stupid but that saves 30 quid or whatever it would cost for a consultion and the Fulthalmic.

Offline Magic Star

• Site Member
« Reply #5 on: April 17, 2007, 09:58:06 PM »

I know it's stupid but that saves 30 quid or whatever it would cost for a consultion and the Fulthalmic.

Waste not, want not Lise :shades:

Offline Luvly

• Site Member
« Reply #6 on: April 17, 2007, 10:48:55 PM »
anyone know what else does the trick for conjunctivitis  , when ever I seem to take the gang to the seaside at least 1 or more  get it  :-\ the vet said this its quite common for dogs to get it from swimming in the sea ( wonder why  :huh: is it the salt that irritates the eyes ?   )  they haven't been this year  yet but I'm planning on going soon and pre thinking about there little eyes  :-\ will try to wash them out see if that helps  :blink:  by the time I pay there £30 each time then the £26 eye ointment on top it works out a expensive trip to the beach  :lol:
Nikkoletta + Wunderschöne Welpen Lindos demais

Penel

« Reply #7 on: April 17, 2007, 10:52:41 PM »
Tea bags, Optrex, Vital Eyes eye drops - all would help sore eyes.  Yes Lisa definitely use it  ;)

Offline happydog

• Site Member
  • Run free, my Beautiful Bella 2005-2017
« Reply #8 on: April 17, 2007, 10:56:57 PM »
when ever I seem to take the gang to the seaside at least 1 or more  get it  :-\ the vet said this its quite common for dogs to get it from swimming in the sea ( wonder why  :huh: is it the salt that irritates the eyes ?   ) 
It's probably the bacteria lurking in the sea (think sewage outlets, bird poo and worse  ph34r ) Conjunctivitis is mostly caused by a bacterial infection and Fucithalmic contains Fusidic Acid  which is an antibiotic.
happydog

Whatever today brings, ensure that you make some good memories

Offline Nicola

• FTCh Caoimhe
« Reply #9 on: April 17, 2007, 10:57:39 PM »
You can buy Fucithalmic ointment over the counter at any chemists for about £4. My Mum is a pharmacist and I asked her about it this evening on the phone and apparently Optrex Infected Eyes is another good one (not Optrex Sore Eyes, has to be the Infected one which is kept in a fridge). There isn't much you can do to prevent it other than make sure eyes are kept clean and free of debris. A simple wipe with cooled boiled water should to the trick as too much poking and wiping can also irritate them.

Fucithalmic is only for bacterial conjunctivitis though, there are other kinds which require different treatment (in people anyway).

Offline emilyjw

• Site Member
  • However crap the day cocker kisses aren't far away
    • Four Paws Animal Rescue (South Wales)
« Reply #10 on: April 18, 2007, 08:29:29 AM »
My dog has some of this at the moment, great to know we can buy it from the pharmacy in the future...
Emily & the Jabracken fluffies - Bracken, Hermes and Jasminex

http://www.fourpawsanimalrescue.org.uk

Offline Robbie34

• Donator
« Reply #11 on: April 18, 2007, 11:04:35 AM »
I'm sure Fucithalmic is a POM. 

Charley has kerratoconjunctivitis sicca - basically dry eye - and is on permanent medication.  I wasn't able to purchase Fucithalmic without a prescription.  Has it been changed recently?

I have been using Optrex Infected Eyes for him and it has been fine.

Offline Nicola

• FTCh Caoimhe
« Reply #12 on: April 18, 2007, 01:16:37 PM »

Charley has kerratoconjunctivitis sicca - basically dry eye - and is on permanent medication.  I wasn't able to purchase Fucithalmic without a prescription.  Has it been changed recently?

My Mum is a phamacist and I'm sure she said you could. I think the Optrex IE does pretty much the same job though if you can't get the fucithalmic.

Offline Annette

• Site Member
« Reply #13 on: April 18, 2007, 09:14:20 PM »
Be careful though.

A few months ago when they first allowed us to buy Chloramphenicol eye drops without prescription I went to buy some for Buddy, and apparently (at that time anyway) it was a rule that the pharmacist had to look at the infected eye to make sure the drops weren't being used unnecessarily. When I said "Oh, it's for the dog" they flat-out refused to let me have it.

So I went to the next Chemist and said that it was for me, that I was 2 days into treatment prescribed by my GP but had dropped the bottle into the sink and contaminated it.

I feel so ashamed of myself for lying, but it saved me a vet bill and I was willing to take all the responsiblity if anything went wrong. Poor Pharmacists are tied by the rules.

Brolene might also help with minor infections.

Penel

« Reply #14 on: April 19, 2007, 10:54:50 AM »

but for dry eye you should just be using false tears, not an antibiotic eye ointment.