Author Topic: Vet or Not - advice please  (Read 1509 times)

Offline Wightpaws

• Site Member
  • Wightroche Magical Knight
Vet or Not - advice please
« on: July 31, 2007, 08:47:00 AM »
The boys and I were having a lovely walk around the Castle this morning, enjoying the much needed sunshine and lovely dew on the grass  :005:, the boys had met lots of their normal morning play friends, when we met 3 men out walking their 3 dogs off lead, so I assumed that they were ok with other dogs, hmm wont be doing that again. 

Rocky didn't want to go near the dogs and stuck to my side, (should have sounded alarm bells) however, Snoopy being the friendly outgoing doggy dog he is, he went and said hello to the collie x, Lab x and finally the brown lab (called Duke), when out of the blue the lab bit him :'(, I didn't realise he actually had made a wound until we got home and Snoopy wouldn't get out of the car, he was covered in blood (not helped by the fact that his coat was wet, so blood probably looked worse than it actually was, but still a big shock). 

So carried my little man into the house, wiped him down with the first towel I could find which was white, (I know not a great plan) brain not in gear at that point.   Showered him off and started trying to find where the bit was, not easy on a wet hairy cocker, but finally 15 mins later and a whole roll of toilet roll, tracked down the puncture wound in the edge of his ear (so shaved off some hair to inspect wound), the wound albeit is tiny, is definitely a tooth puncture, I've cleaned it and put antibiotic cream on it.  It was still bleeding a little bit when I left him this morning (going home later to check him), the wound is clean, but I'm not sure if I should go to the vets with him and get him checked or whether to just leave it heal itself (if this was a puncture caused by Rocky I wouldn't bother, but given horrid dog made it, I'm not sure what to do).

Any advice?
cheryl, owned by Snops, Rocks, Pebbles and Ruby Roo

Offline *sammy*

• Site Member
Re: Vet or Not - advice please
« Reply #1 on: July 31, 2007, 08:55:04 AM »
i have no advice sorry. ah poor baby :'(

Offline lyn

• Site Member
« Reply #2 on: July 31, 2007, 08:56:55 AM »
hi cheryl, i would probably not take him to the vet just yet. give it a couple of days with cleaning it yourself and see how he goes.ellie badly grazed her chin a couple of weeks ago and the blood was everywhere. my first reaction was to run to the vets but i decided to deal with it myself.it was fine ::)
hope he gets better soon. :luv:

Offline michelle123

• Site Member
« Reply #3 on: July 31, 2007, 09:34:11 AM »
Poor thing.  I agree with Lyn, give it a couple of days. 

Give him a gentle squidge from us  :luv:

Offline Wightpaws

• Site Member
« Reply #4 on: July 31, 2007, 11:17:42 AM »
thanks guys, he is now feeling really sorry for himself, particularly as he has antispectic cream on him, which he hates :luv:, Rocky however, he knows that he is supposed to leave Snoopy alone, (I'm guessing selected memory puppy) >:D

Offline Boof

• Site Member
« Reply #5 on: July 31, 2007, 06:44:29 PM »
Poor Snoopy, what an ordeal.  :'(

Offline suzysu

• Site Member
« Reply #6 on: July 31, 2007, 06:57:13 PM »
Aww poor Snoopy  :'( .. hope his ear is healed up soon x
Sue, Georgie n Daisy x
   "I luv my girls"

Offline Cob-Web

• Inactive
  • To err is human, to forgive, canine
    • Walking on Wight Blog
« Reply #7 on: July 31, 2007, 06:57:46 PM »
How is he Cheryl?  Call me if you need anything  ;)
Enrich your life with an Oldie!
Oldies Club

Offline Joules

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: July 31, 2007, 08:27:23 PM »
Aaaw, what a pity  >:(

I would just keep it clean with warm salty water and see how it goes for a day or two. Hope it heals up quickly and he is none the worse for the experience  :-\
Julie and Watson

Offline debbie321

• Site Member
« Reply #9 on: July 31, 2007, 08:35:39 PM »
Poor Snoopy  :-\  I agree with the above advice - just keep it clean and see how he goes.  The good thing is that it did bleed - this would have washed any nasties out if you know what I mean  ;)

Rocky - you leave big brov alone! 

Offline PennyB

« Reply #10 on: August 01, 2007, 08:04:47 AM »
I agree with above --- ditch the antiseptic cream and just use salted water or I use diluted hibiscrub (I have it in the cupboard anyway)
Friends of Hailey Park
Four Paws Animal Rescue (South Wales)

Cockers are just hooligans in cute clothing!

Offline Wightpaws

• Site Member
« Reply #11 on: August 01, 2007, 08:34:55 AM »
Fantastic recommendation Penny, hadn't thought about using that, I've got loads of it, due to my horse nearly taking her eye out overnight 3 weeks ages (3 stitches later, 1 infection and a very large vet bill), thankfully she didn't damage her eye and only has a very small scare left to show for her troubles, don't you just love animals. :luv:

Snoopy is feeling lots better, we had a lovely walk this morning along the river and he managed to climb trees, chase seagulls and get caked in mud too :005: