Author Topic: Giardia and Campylobacter diagnosed today!!  (Read 4069 times)

Offline mrs hamster

• Site Member
Giardia and Campylobacter diagnosed today!!
« on: March 19, 2004, 02:05:52 PM »
Help anyone any advice?

Bon Bon is 16 weeks and has had a runny bot since the day we got her really but it has taken until today to get a diagnosis!!

She weighs only 4.1kg she is so tiny, she has been on hills prescription ID for weeks.

Ive been reading up on the net and frightening myself! Anyone experience of these 2 will she fully recover quickly? Are these 2 bugs common?

Im relieved in a way as at least we have a diagnosis at last.

Many Thanks
Jane                    
Dull women have immaculate homes

Offline PennyB

« Reply #1 on: March 19, 2004, 02:11:45 PM »
What has the vet advised. Having had Giarda myself on a number of occasions while backpacking I feel for the poor thing (I had exploding everything from everywhere and couldn't keep anything down or in!). I was put on flagyl (metronidazole), which is a potent antibiotic also used for campylobacter but don't know what the doggy version is.

I would also enquire as to whether you could catch it as well as I believe the bug is the same in most domestic mammals (excl. rodents). This was from the Merck vet manual (manual also says its quite common):

"Giardia cysts survive in the environment and thus are a source of infection and reinfection for animals, particularly those in crowded conditions (eg, kennels and catteries). Prompt removal of feces from cages, runs, and yards will limit environmental contamination. Cysts are inactivated by most quaternary ammonium compounds, household bleach (1:32 or 1:16 dilution), steam, and boiling water. Cysts are susceptible to desiccation, and areas should be allowed to dry thoroughly after cleaning. Cysts contaminating the hair of dogs and cats may be a source of reinfection"

Also like to add that giardia is something that can be caught in th eUK and you don't need to go abroad to get it in humans.                    
Friends of Hailey Park
Four Paws Animal Rescue (South Wales)

Cockers are just hooligans in cute clothing!

Offline shonajoy

• Site Member
« Reply #2 on: March 19, 2004, 03:08:20 PM »
I don't have any experience of either of these, I'm sorry. I hope Bon Bon feels better soon, poor wee thing

Shona x                    
Shona, Indie(5) and Hamish (4)

Offline Magic Star

• Site Member
« Reply #3 on: March 19, 2004, 04:49:40 PM »
:( Aww poor Bon Bon, I don't know anything about it either :?  apart from what Penny has written.  Sounds nasty, hope Bon Bon improves soon :)                    

Offline mrs hamster

• Site Member
« Reply #4 on: March 19, 2004, 05:50:07 PM »
The vet is posting the presciption so I will get it tommorow.
Anyone know if you can give something like "Build Up" to puppies she is so thin. I want to get some weight on her asap as soon as she starts on the drugs in the morning?

Thanks
Jane                    

Offline Silver Surfer (indiesnan)

• Site Member
« Reply #5 on: March 19, 2004, 05:51:53 PM »
Poor  Bon Bon.  :(   (  Ive not heard of this before, thanks Penny for explaining it. )   Don't believe everything you read on the net Jane.  :?

At least now you know whats  wrong now. I hope she feels better soon.  :)

edited to say.. i'm sure one of the more experienced members will be on to advice you soon.                    
* Barb & Nell * ~~He who claims he knows, knows nothing. He who claims nothing knows~~

Offline PennyB

« Reply #6 on: March 19, 2004, 07:16:00 PM »
I was told by the Burns people to add protein such as sardines or eggs to their diet. Some of the working dog supplements may help as well. I gave Wilf some of the 'Come on' herbs when he was ill:

http://www.csjk9.com                    
Friends of Hailey Park

Offline LindaW

• Site Member
    • http://www.shandardel-cockers.co.uk
« Reply #7 on: March 20, 2004, 06:45:37 PM »
Poor Bon Bon  :o At least you know why he is so underweight and I'm sure he will pick up now you have the treatment.  Hope he improves  :)                    
Linda
xx
Jodie, Pippa, Daisy, Lolly, Gem, Tigger, Butty, Fanny and Coco!

Offline mrs hamster

• Site Member
« Reply #8 on: March 20, 2004, 07:57:59 PM »
Thanks so much for all your support

After just today on the medication she looks feels and weighs heavier!!
 I have fed her so much today and she's kept it all in!!!

She has had her prescription Hills ID plus banana, honey, baby food rice pud and baby food egg custard and has been for  only 2 jobby's instead of the usual 10 plus!!!( 8 out of 10 have been in the house for the last 8 weeks and it has been miserable for all I kid you not!!

Jane                    

Offline PennyB

« Reply #9 on: March 20, 2004, 11:55:15 PM »
Glad she's feeling a lot better. What did the vet give you in the end.

Not sure whether I've asked before but which part of South Wales are you—I'm in Cardiff.                    
Friends of Hailey Park

Offline shonajoy

• Site Member
« Reply #10 on: March 21, 2004, 09:50:17 AM »
Awww,Jane that sounds positive, bless her. I hope this continues and she's up to full speed soon, wee thing.

Shona x                    
Shona, Indie(5) and Hamish (4)

Offline Tori

• Shannara Leap of faith AKA Mr bubbalicious - Otis
« Reply #11 on: March 21, 2004, 05:29:07 PM »
Hi Jane

i'm so sorry to hear of Bon Bon's misfortune :( , but glad to hear that all is starting to improve :) .  One of the vets at work has recently taken on a springer pup who was diagnoised with the same at 3 mths he is now nearly 6 mths and is putting weight on steadily although not quickly and you don't want to rush it :wink: .  One thing she has found though is that shaka now has a slightly sensitive tummy and can not tolerate to high protein foods and doesn't take to well to too much food swapping, so that maybe something to remember for the future.  he is though a VERY happy and outgoing little individual and you have exactly the same to look forward to so good luck :D

Torie & co xx

PS - Just seen that you are giving her honey which is fantastic as a natural antibiotic  It proberly wouldn't hurt to give alittle natural yoghurt when shes alittle more settled as that will help balance her tummy                    
Tori & Co x
aka the luscious Laney, Jessica ferret, Scrum bum Otis (pictured)and Sasha the basha welshie - sadly Sasha was set free to run at the bridge 13/01/11 to prevent further suffering.... Until we meet again sweet angel xx

Offline Lindaphills

• Site Member
« Reply #12 on: March 21, 2004, 09:36:29 PM »
hi Jane,

I'm glad to hear bon bon is on the mend.  Giardia is a tiny protozoan parasite that infects the intestines and produces a foul smelling diarrhoea often with a waxy appearance and maybe containing blood.

Apparently the only approved treatment for giardia in dogs is panacur wormer given at a higher dosage over about 3 consecutive days.  Is this what your vet gave you?  (apart from the antibiotics for the campylobacter I mean)

Keep us posted on bon bons progress and hope things will soon be normal for you :lol:

Linda and jess                    
Linda, Jess and baby Jimmy
   xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Offline tterrii

• Site Member
« Reply #13 on: March 22, 2004, 08:58:25 AM »
:D hi jane,
i went on holiday and had to put my dogs in kennels,on return,both my dogs got these,after taking them to the vets,and having stool samples done.it was confirmed,they both had the same.
my vet firstly advised to clean up the runny stools,as quickley as possible.and to use a really good disenfectant.which you can buy through your vet,called tri-gene disenfectant.expensive,but kills off the campyliabacta.so stops reinfecting the dogs.plus they were given panacur granuals,which i know is a wormer,but works and kills off guidia.and to clear up the campyliabactia,they were given a course of synulox,but this goes on for weeks,as you have to keep going back having stools samples done until it comes back clear.i hope this has been of some help to you jane,also i would advise to keep your hands washed and don't pick up mess on your hands,try using some gloves,ect,as campylia bactia is transmitted to humands,but guidia is'nt.so keep everything ultra clean.good luck