Author Topic: Blocked Anal Gland  (Read 5875 times)

scoobie

Blocked Anal Gland
« Reply #30 on: April 02, 2004, 09:24:28 AM »
Hi Linda yes it is nice to meet another raw cocker feeder and really glad that your jess doesn't have that nasty colitis any more.
Scoobie also enjoys his food now  every time he eats a wing he eats it's as though it is something new sometimes he gives off a scream of excitement just waiting for me to give them to him!! When I first gave him a wing he ate it that fast that he brought it back up in the same way that it went in but once he learned to munch and crunch he's got things off to an art. I know a lot of people think raw feeding is UGH to say the least and a year ago I was one of those people. Like I said scoobie had endless ear infections for 18months on and off living on steroids antibiotics and even resorted to having an op last year to remove part of his ear canal in both ears and only to find that the op didn't work (poor little scoobs)ah.. don't want to even remeber it because I thought I nearly lost him at one point. Anyway through researching the net I found loads about raw feeding and decided to opt for that route and will never go back to commercial again. Scoobie has supplements added to his processed veggie and flax oil with his raw minced meat mix plus 3 wings and for treats he has carrots and dried liver treats. People may laugh but after what he went through I want to know what is going into his system and by the way Linda scoobies ears are clean and pink and lovely and I also swear by using thornit now and again .
all the best Edith and scoobie                    

Offline shonajoy

• Site Member
Blocked Anal Gland
« Reply #31 on: April 02, 2004, 06:55:27 PM »
Ok, my local Safeway had thighs, drumsticks and breasts, but no wings!
Maybe I should have looked on the frozen section, but it's not something I recall seeing actually. We have an Asda and a Sainsbury nearby, where do you get yours?                    
Shona, Indie(5) and Hamish (4)

scoobie

Blocked Anal Gland
« Reply #32 on: April 02, 2004, 09:11:46 PM »
Hi Shonajoy
I buy mine from asda they cost £1.12p for a large pack I usually keep some fresh for a few days and freeze the others as I usually buy a few packs at a time sainsbury also stock them if that's handier for you they cost a few pence more
Hope this helps
Edith and scoobie
p.s If I forget to take wings out of fridge  I usually run them under a hot tap just to take the chill off this can avoid a poorly tummy                    

Offline Lindaphills

• Site Member
Blocked Anal Gland
« Reply #33 on: April 02, 2004, 09:13:47 PM »
Hi, Shona,
I get my wings either from Asda or Tesco.  They are about one pound twenty eight for 12 - 14 wings depending on size.  Sometimes the wings are bigger some weeks than others :lol:  

I'm sure he'll love them, let me know how he gets on :wink:

Linda and Jess                    
Linda, Jess and baby Jimmy
   xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Offline Lindaphills

• Site Member
Blocked Anal Gland
« Reply #34 on: April 02, 2004, 09:26:07 PM »
Hi Edith, you beat me to it, we must have been typing a reply at the same time :lol:  :lol:

I'm glad scoobie's problems have disappeared, you sound like you've been through a hell of a lot with him :shock:  :shock:   jess had terrible colitis when she was younger and she had steroid injection too.  The vet also gave me Hills tinned i/d food which cost an arm and a leg and still didn't work :shock:   I decided to do my own research on what goes into commercial dog food and I was totally horrified :shock:   That's the power of advertising for you :wink:   Anyway I too do my veggies in the juicer although she doesn't have that many veggies she has the amp mince and I also feed 3 chick wings per day :lol:   I give Jess fish body oil 1000mg and 400ieu vitamin E and garlic capsule and also Keepers mix from dorwest herbs for the kelp and alfalfa content.  I also give raw egg yolks once or twice a week and tuna or sardines instead of the raw mince.

I too use thornit now and again for her ears :lol:  :lol:

Lovely to hear from you Edith, I know what it's like sometimes when you tell people you feed your dog raw meat and bones, they do look at you as though you're an alien :lol:  :lol:

Take care, best wishes from Linda and Jess                    
   xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Offline *Jay*

• Donator
Blocked Anal Gland
« Reply #35 on: April 03, 2004, 10:41:11 AM »
LInda, those supplements that you mention - is that per day? And do you split it over two meals or just give it in one? I've managed to get Vegas about 3/4 of the way to natural feeding but the confusion over supplements has stopped me going the whole hog. He'll be over the moon when he hears that he gets chicken wings every day - at the moment, they get one each every other day. What a mean mummy I am :twisted:  :lol:                    
Dallas ( 10) & Disney ( 9 )

Playing at the Bridge: Brook (13/06/04), Jackson (23/12/05) & Vegas (14/07/10)

scoobie

Blocked Anal Gland
« Reply #36 on: April 03, 2004, 12:10:12 PM »
Hi Linda thanks for your message and  you sound as if you feed jess more or less the same as I do cos I give a raw egg now and again and tuna or sardines instead of mince I also give muscle meat a few times a week ( a little diced up lamb or beef. )Scoobie loves this food and like you , I feel very strongly that you are what you eat. We have a choice what we eat -  our pets eat what is put down in front of them. Like I say I had thought long and hard and it certainly was'nt an overnight decision to feed raw in fact it took me six months before I decided to take the plunge! only wish I had made the move sooner never mind I've discovered what suits my dog at long last!
Sooooooooo glad that jess enjoys it too
keep in touch cos it's lovely to speak to someone on my planet
Edith and scoobie x                    

scoobie

Blocked Anal Gland
« Reply #37 on: April 03, 2004, 12:12:00 PM »
Hi Gill I don't think your a mean mummy at all you just need time to get used to a new way of feeding
Good luck
Edith and Scoobie                    

Offline Lindaphills

• Site Member
Blocked Anal Gland
« Reply #38 on: April 03, 2004, 02:18:32 PM »
Hi Gill,
She gets the fish body oil and vitamin E and keepers mix daily.  These go into her mince and veggie meal.  My kids love the orange chewable vitamin c tabs and she also has one of these a day too, she loves the sharp taste of it :lol:  :lol:

Vegas will think its his birthday every day from now on Gill :lol:  :lol:   Chicken wings are an almost complete food for dogs.  Theres not a lot missing from them that cant be made up with mince and veg, fish and veg and a good vit and min supp.  I like keepers mix cos its got kelp and alfalfa in it. :lol:  :wink:

Edith, I have to agree with you, its the best thing i've ever done, certainly as far as Jess's digestive system is concerned :lol:  :lol:

Linda and Jess                    
   xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Offline PennyB

Blocked Anal Gland
« Reply #39 on: April 03, 2004, 02:28:11 PM »
Ok, my local Safeway had thighs, drumsticks and breasts, but no wings!
Maybe I should have looked on the frozen section, but it's not something I recall seeing actually. We have an Asda and a Sainsbury nearby, where do you get yours?

I found it difficult to get mine too and eventually have found a butchers on the market to told me he has them 99.9% of the time                    
Friends of Hailey Park
Four Paws Animal Rescue (South Wales)

Cockers are just hooligans in cute clothing!

Offline Lindaphills

• Site Member
Blocked Anal Gland
« Reply #40 on: April 03, 2004, 08:23:24 PM »
Penny. do you live near Tesco or Asda, they always have them there :lol:                    
   xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Offline PennyB

Blocked Anal Gland
« Reply #41 on: April 03, 2004, 09:21:04 PM »
Don't have a car so often get my big shop via tesco direct who didn't have them at the time unfortunately and its a 25 min hike along the river to get there myself so the market in Cardiff is probably my best bet now.                    
Friends of Hailey Park

Offline bluegirl

• Site Member
    • www.millionhairsdoggrooming.co.uk
Blocked Anal Gland
« Reply #42 on: April 04, 2004, 10:59:17 PM »
Hi,
I have a herbal remedy from my herbal dog book that you may like to try. All the herbs can be bought very inexpensively from a health store in your town centre.
1. You can make a brew of dandelion (leaves and / or flowers); also, soak fenugreek seeds in warm water, 2 tablespoons to one cup or more, for 24 hrs, then give the liquid as a drink, and feed the seeds mixed into a cereal feed.
2. Give linseed tea, strong infusion; also apply the tea externally.
3. In severe cases, make suppositories from pulped, raw dock leaves and insert in the anus. Also apply diluted witch hazel.

Hope this helps
Karen                    
Karen, Penny, Logan, Phoebe and Bronte.

"Life is a series of dogs".    George Carlin

I was going to take over the world but got distracted by something sparkly.

Offline PennyB

Blocked Anal Gland
« Reply #43 on: April 05, 2004, 09:06:23 AM »
csj foods do a range of herb supplements as well for when your dog is below par (I used the 'come on' for Wilf when he was going through all that surgery last year):

http://www.csjk9.com/                    
Friends of Hailey Park

Offline Lindaphills

• Site Member
Blocked Anal Gland
« Reply #44 on: April 05, 2004, 02:15:16 PM »
Personally, I don't feed any grains at all, they don't agree with my girl :lol:  :lol:                    
   xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx