Author Topic: Interdigital cyst or something else [new pics] now been to the vets.  (Read 10071 times)

Offline ladylola

• Donator
Just got back off holiday today and Monty has a bad foot. It is his back left foot and there is a lump at the top inbetween his toes. He has been biting and licking it,pulling the fur out, it looks quite sore. My son had taken the dogs to his mates farm and woodland yesterday and I am wondering if he has something in it, the dreaded grass seed or something else. He was walking on it ok. I have bathed it with salt water twice today and bought some Silicea, he has had 2 tablets twice up to now. Now he can't walk on his foot and is holding it up hopping. How long does silicea take to expel something should there be something in it. Any thing else I can do. will be going to vet on Monday if not better. It says on the bottle  dosage adults and children 2 pillules every 2 hours for the first 6 doses thereafter take dose 4 times daily for up to 5 days. Does anyone know if this is ok for a dog. they are 30c. I do have some triple antibiotic ointment which I got in America, should I put some of this inbetween his toes.
Julie. Owned by Sasha, Ellie, Monty, Paisley, Louie & Molly
One just isn't enough.

Offline Helen

• helen noakes jewellery
Re: Interdigital cyst or something else
« Reply #1 on: June 28, 2008, 10:10:58 PM »
keep on going with the silica - it could take 2-3 days.  The fact that it is getting slightly worse makes me think that something could be coming to the surface - without seeing it it's really difficult to tell though.  I would give him the human dose for the first day and then twice a day following.

What does it look like?  (if you can get near it that is) can you describe it?  Is the swelling just above his toe or is his whole paw swollen now?

helen & jarvis x

Offline Joules

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: June 28, 2008, 10:11:25 PM »
Oooh, poor Monty.  Sounds like it could be a seed or something like that.  >:(  Have you tried trimming his paw and having a good look to see if there is a hole or anything to see?  Not sure about the Silicea dose but I would have thought do the same as for a child  :-\  Tea tree is also good for getting things expelled - you could bathe his paw in some water with tea tree oil in or dab a bit of neat oil on the spot where you think the problem is.  ;)

Hope you manage to sort it out quickly.  ;)
Julie and Watson

Offline ladylola

• Donator
« Reply #3 on: June 28, 2008, 10:50:16 PM »
If you look from the top of his foot and open his toes it is about 10mm long. it is right at the top of his toes. There is a small red dot at the top of it where something could have entered or it could maybe be where he has pulled the hair out. Managed to take a few pics

One just isn't enough.

Offline Elisa

• Site Member
  • Double Trouble
« Reply #4 on: June 28, 2008, 11:20:30 PM »
Looks sore  :'(  My first thought was a grass seed  :-\  Hope he is feeling better soon.
Elisa, Bailey & Harvey  xxx

Offline Helen

• helen noakes jewellery
« Reply #5 on: June 28, 2008, 11:44:26 PM »
ooooh that looks very sore  :-\ :-\

I would keep on with the silica and see how he is in the morning - if you have any rescue remedy or emergency essence in the house, give him a dose as it may relax him enough for him to leave it alone (and yourself for sanity  ;) )

helen & jarvis x

Offline Helen

• helen noakes jewellery
« Reply #6 on: June 29, 2008, 02:16:59 PM »
How is Monty doing today  :luv: :luv:
helen & jarvis x

Offline ladylola

• Donator
« Reply #7 on: June 29, 2008, 02:35:51 PM »
Was walking on it this morning and it looks smaller. he's hobbling again at the moment, been for a walk still looks sore. I think I might be better not taking him out for a couple of days. keeping up with the salt baths and cilicea.
One just isn't enough.

Offline Rhona W

• Site Member
« Reply #8 on: July 02, 2008, 10:20:24 PM »
I believe Dorwest Herbs do a good combination of remedies to try for interdigital cysts.  Garlic and Fenugreek tablets, combined with Mixed Vegetable Tablets.   www.dorwest.com

Offline Joules

• Administrator
« Reply #9 on: July 03, 2008, 08:07:32 AM »
How's Monty's foot doing now Julie?
Julie and Watson

Offline ladylola

• Donator
« Reply #10 on: July 03, 2008, 12:44:35 PM »
It's a lot better, not a 100%, I kept giving him the silicae and it started to discharge. I have kept him in for two days and he is now walking fine. I don't know if anything was in it [I think there was] But it just feels like there is a small scab on it now so I'm hoping whatever was in has come out. He has been licking and pulling on it himself. But as he's not keen on letting me look. The lump has definately gone down and the swelling has gone down. When I find someone to hold him I will have a good look but I think it's ok.
One just isn't enough.

Offline ladylola

• Donator
« Reply #11 on: July 03, 2008, 12:45:56 PM »
I believe Dorwest Herbs do a good combination of remedies to try for interdigital cysts.  Garlic and Fenugreek tablets, combined with Mixed Vegetable Tablets.   www.dorwest.com

That's good to know  thanks.
One just isn't enough.

Offline Helen

• helen noakes jewellery
« Reply #12 on: July 03, 2008, 12:54:28 PM »
It's a lot better, not a 100%, I kept giving him the silicae and it started to discharge. I have kept him in for two days and he is now walking fine. I don't know if anything was in it [I think there was] But it just feels like there is a small scab on it now so I'm hoping whatever was in has come out. He has been licking and pulling on it himself. But as he's not keen on letting me look. The lump has definately gone down and the swelling has gone down. When I find someone to hold him I will have a good look but I think it's ok.

sounds promising - new gory paw pics please :luv: :luv:
helen & jarvis x

Offline LucyJ

• Site Member
« Reply #13 on: July 03, 2008, 02:52:18 PM »
I've only just seen this.  Cooper had a grass seed in between his toes last summer, and the swelling looked exactly like in your picture - it took 3 vet visits and one operation to finally get rid of the seed. 

After the first visit to the vet he was prescibed rest, antibiotics, salt washes and hibiscrub and the lump did go down. 

As soon as he started walking around again though it came back up, so the grass seed was obviously still in there. 

Then he had the op (they couldn't find anything but I knew it was still there as he was bothering away at his foot constantly), and again the lump went down while he was resting, then came straight back up again once I could start walking him. 

The vet did find it eventually, but do be careful as it hasn't definitely come out - fingers crossed it has though.

Offline ladylola

• Donator
« Reply #14 on: July 03, 2008, 06:09:19 PM »
Think you might be right Lucy. Took Monty out today and have just got my son to hold him whilst I had a look, It has come up again and he was trying to chew it whilst I was trying to look, So I think it's off to the vets tomorrow. Hope he's not going to need a op though.
One just isn't enough.