Author Topic: Any Theories?  (Read 2300 times)

Offline Sheryl

• Donator
Any Theories?
« on: May 27, 2004, 11:54:40 PM »
Once again Chloe is heading for the vets :(  (nothing to do with the AIHA so thats a blessing), for a strange problem.  A few weeks ago she started chewing her back foot.  Just the one foot, none of the others.  I have looked at it until I am cross eyed but darned if I can see anything.  It is obviously distressing the poor baby as she is leaving little smears of blood where she has been on the settee covers, so she is obviously licking it until it's raw.  Today when I picked her foot up there was also a thickish white gunge on it.  I can't get into the vet until Wednesday as they are fully booked but Holly has her booster appointment then and they are going to squeeze Chloe in too.  Just wondered if anyone had any clues?? :?  :?                    
Sheryl, Holly, Kali, Baby Lyla and Angel Chloe

Offline annemie

• Site Member
    • http://members.chello.nl/~a.notten1/
Any Theories?
« Reply #1 on: May 28, 2004, 06:17:38 AM »
Oh, poor Chloe. I'm sorry, but I don't know what that can be.

Last year our Joep had a seed in his front foot. We notice that when he had a big lump on the top of it  :?  But on the bottom of his foot we never notice anything.

I will have my fingers cross for her                    
Greetings,

Annemie and a big kiss from Joep, Joris and Henry

[img width= height=]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v336/annemiejojo/Webfiets.jpg[/img]

Offline Mike

• Retired!
  • Site Member
Any Theories?
« Reply #2 on: May 28, 2004, 08:25:56 AM »
Maybe a sting, Sheryl - happened to Daisy last summer, all of a sudden she was tearing the feathers on one part of her leg and gnawing it until it was raw (then all the hair clogged her throat up, bit scary!)?                    

Offline PennyB

Any Theories?
« Reply #3 on: May 28, 2004, 08:39:21 AM »
Could also be a thorn or basically anyhting she might have picked up. Sounds like she may need antibiotics if it is. Is there any chance you can get her in before Wednesday as these things can turn into a nasty abscess that may need draining. It could also be painful.                    
Friends of Hailey Park
Four Paws Animal Rescue (South Wales)

Cockers are just hooligans in cute clothing!

Offline Sheryl

• Donator
Any Theories?
« Reply #4 on: May 28, 2004, 08:53:14 AM »
I wish I could but things are conspiring against us.  I work shifts, hubby is away on business and I can't get any other appointment before my shift starts or after it finishes, on any day :(  :(  If she seems to be going downhill in any way then I will call for an emergency appointment but then I run the risk of getting a stranger and that scares me.  The last one said it was about time Chloe had her boosters :shock:  :shock:   I said she has AIHA for goodness sake, are you trying to kill her!  Oh dear, it's all very distressing.  I have to say that she isn't limping so I know it doesn't hurt to put weight on it.  I will have a good look again today and see if I can see anything.                    

Offline Silver Surfer (indiesnan)

• Site Member
Any Theories?
« Reply #5 on: May 28, 2004, 08:56:08 AM »
Could be a grass seed as well Sheryl,. My other dog Meg had a problem with one of  her feet. Hers turned out to be some type of cyst.

I would get back onto your vet and explain about the dicharge.

As Penny says it could turn into a absess.

oooppss sorry Shirley, i must have been posting at the same time.  :oops:                    
* Barb & Nell * ~~He who claims he knows, knows nothing. He who claims nothing knows~~

scoobie

Any Theories?
« Reply #6 on: May 28, 2004, 09:12:51 AM »
I have had something very similar with scoobie he was also licking his back paw ( not any of  the others )I thought it had something to do with him coming back from being groomed and I thought maybe he got clipped too short or something :?:  I kept looking and  couldn't see anything it started to smell a little bit and on further investigation found a wart in between his claws the groomer must have caught it with his clippers because it's well hidden I bathed in it tea tree oil  which I diluted with warm water and so far so good :D now that I am aware of this wart I will tell the groomer to be careful. Not saying this is the same for your dog sheryl best to get it checked out especially if their is a discharge
good luck
Edith                    

Offline Magic Star

• Site Member
Any Theories?
« Reply #7 on: May 28, 2004, 09:22:25 AM »
Awww poor baby :(   If she has discharge, then IMO I think she should go the vets sooner rather than later, just in case it is the beginning of an infection :roll:   Can't you throw a sickie?                    

Offline daftcockers

• Site Member
    • http://www.chaysonniecockers.co.uk
Any Theories?
« Reply #8 on: May 28, 2004, 10:24:12 AM »
Our late cocker Alfie had a problem like this it turn out to be dermatitus(dont know if I've spelt that right). He chewed all the fur off both his back feet, the vet thought he had had a reaction to some fertilizer from the park. It soon clear up with some cream and soaking in warm salt water.Thinking about it , it was exaclty a year ago this month                    
WWW.CHAYSONNIECOCKERS.CO.UK

Thanks susan and the gang

Offline PennyB

Any Theories?
« Reply #9 on: May 28, 2004, 12:59:02 PM »
Did the thickish white gunge look like it was coming from the paw if it is that sounds very much like puss                    
Friends of Hailey Park

Offline Sheryl

• Donator
Any Theories?
« Reply #10 on: May 28, 2004, 03:40:14 PM »
Yes, it was actually on the paw itself.  Not a lot though.  Just had another good look and I notice that she does seem to have a small growth between her pads on that foot.  Stupid me, I saw it before and thought it was supposed to be there, it was only when I checked the other foot that I saw she doesn't have a matching lump :oops:  :oops:   Strangely enough, she has a small growth between her toes on one of her front paws which I noticed because she jumped up at the settee and her toes splayed out.  The vet did see that but said it was very small and if it grew a bit he would try and tie something round the base and get it to drop off, rather than put her through an op.  That one never bothers her though.  However, this growth seems a bit wider spread.  Is this normal?  Well, not normal but is it common for them to get warty growths between their toes?  That dog will have me in an asylum or bankrupt or both :)                    

Offline PennyB

Any Theories?
« Reply #11 on: May 28, 2004, 04:44:37 PM »
That dog will have me in an asylum or bankrupt or both :)

Don't worry a lot of us will be joining you there very soon :lol:                    
Friends of Hailey Park

Offline Magic Star

• Site Member
Any Theories?
« Reply #12 on: May 28, 2004, 05:42:25 PM »
That dog will have me in an asylum or bankrupt or both :)

Don't worry a lot of us will be joining you there very soon :lol:

:lol: Already here and waiting :wink:  :lol:                    

Offline PennyB

Any Theories?
« Reply #13 on: May 29, 2004, 01:58:55 AM »
The joke among the vet nurses at my practice is that I may as well move into the flat above the vets that they're not using at the moment (as I practically live there anyway) :lol:                    
Friends of Hailey Park

Offline bluegirl

• Site Member
    • www.millionhairsdoggrooming.co.uk
Any Theories?
« Reply #14 on: May 29, 2004, 11:15:27 PM »
Hi,
It could be a wart because my old cocker had warts just about everywhere.She had one on top of her head that my young son thought was her brain. They told me that they wouldn't operate on warts unless absolutely necessary.
From Karen                    
Karen, Penny, Logan, Phoebe and Bronte.

"Life is a series of dogs".    George Carlin

I was going to take over the world but got distracted by something sparkly.