Author Topic: Worming and itchy stuff  (Read 499 times)

Offline irened

Worming and itchy stuff
« on: April 10, 2010, 10:38:43 AM »
I decided last night to look at the Lungworm website as we have lots of slugs and snails in our garden at night and want to protect the pup when he comes home.

Someone recommended to me to use Advocate spot on which protects against fleas ticks worms ear mites

Great I thought a product that does everything (My friend got this from a vet but you can get it online) on further inspection I noticed it does not protect against tapeworm.

I am now wondering do I go with something like mibemax that also covers lungworm and tapeworm to name a few and treat separatly for flea and ticks or do I go with Advocate and then give something like drontal to protect against tapeworm.

I will be taking him to the vet when he comes home in 4 weeks time but want to get to know about wormers etc so I know what I am tallking about to the vet.

Hope I have not confused everyone but would be gratful for your opinions

Offline spanielcrazy

• Site Member
Re: Worming and itchy stuff
« Reply #1 on: April 10, 2010, 10:45:03 PM »
Drontal is for the treatment of tapeworm, not the prevention. Tapeworms are a "side effect" of fleas, so if you have a good flea prevention program in place you generally don't need to worry about tapeworm.

There is no product that prevents every kind of parasite and I would be very wary if there were. Rather than pump my dogs full of poison routinely, I just have them on Advantage on an as needed basis, and do fecal checks for worms several times per year. If they don't have worms they don't need wormer  :shades:

Of course puppies need to be wormed so I would take a sample when you take him for his first vet check  :blink: 
The madhouse: Michelle, Joy, Jordie, Gizmo, Bracken, Jewel

"My darlings,I love you more than life itself, but you're all ****ing mad!"  Ozzy Osbourne