Author Topic: Teeth  (Read 2377 times)

Offline WhiteDiamond

Teeth
« on: January 17, 2011, 03:07:09 PM »
Today I am feeling absolutely awful.  Had Woody at the vet for dental work this morning, knew he was going to get extractions, but didn't expect him to lose 6 teeth!  We had tried every trick in the book to clean his teeth, but to no avail and this is what has happened.  I now have one very miserable little cocker sitting next to me & I am feeling just as miserable.

Sorry for being so self-pitying, he is an older cocker, so it's not completely unexpected, but it still came as a shock when I collected him.

Offline JennyBee

• Princess Brodie
Re: Teeth
« Reply #1 on: January 17, 2011, 03:17:18 PM »
 :bigarmhug: he will be back to normal in a day or so, Brodie has had some teeth out to correct her jaw and was feeling sorry for herself for a couple of days but soon bounced back! What exactly have you used to try and keep his teeth clean? Someone may be able to give you some tips you haven't tried before. The cocker I grew up with also lost quite a few teeth but coped very, very well :luv:

x In memory of Barney x

Offline elaine.e

• Sweet William
« Reply #2 on: January 17, 2011, 04:13:58 PM »
My first Cocker, Josh, had a couple of teeth out when he was middle aged and then 4 or 5 when he was an old boy and made a very quick recovery both times. It didn't seem to affect his ability to eat.

I had another Cocker, Sam, at the same time as Josh. They both had the same food and treats but Sam never needed any extractions and his teeth stayed white, whereas Josh always had a lot of tartar/plaque on his. I don't know why one had good teeth and the other didn't but I think there must be a genetic element involved. So please don't feel guilty.

Sending gentle squishes to Woody :luv: and a  :bigarmhug: to you.

Offline stormer

• Jovi and Alfie
« Reply #3 on: January 18, 2011, 08:48:43 PM »
hi yep , i have 2 cockers and  they eat and have everything the same but one has great teeth and the other has had to have them cleaned , i use the logic gel on them both and jovi's stay ok but alfie have got a little tartar on them again . I find it hard work with teeth trying to do the right thing but it depends on the dog i think its in genetics too xx
Angie..Jovi & Alfie xxx

Offline Maria n Dennis

• Donator
« Reply #4 on: January 18, 2011, 09:15:43 PM »
I havnt had any problem with teeth yet as mine are both still young but i just wanted to say that I hope Woody is feeling better soon.

Offline JaspersMum

• Donator
« Reply #5 on: January 18, 2011, 09:21:49 PM »
We've just had a delivery of the following product.  I've not tried it but the write ups sound good.

Petzlife Oral Care Gel
Dental health is critical to your dogs overall well-being, and our revolutionary periodontal program is a healthy, holistic approach to oral care . The all-natural ingredients safely remove plaque and tartar, reverse oral disease, promote healthy gums, brighten teeth and kill the bacteria that causes bad breath. No toothbrush required

Jenny - owned by Jasper, Ellie, Heidi, Louie & Charlie

Offline Max X 2

• Site Member
« Reply #6 on: January 19, 2011, 09:00:52 AM »
Jenny, do you add that to their food or rub it onto their teeth?
Maxine owned by Max & Harry

Offline JaspersMum

• Donator
« Reply #7 on: January 19, 2011, 09:09:36 AM »
Jenny, do you add that to their food or rub it onto their teeth?

There are two different ones, one is a gel that you rub on and the other a spray.  No food for 30 mins after application.  Brush every 3rd day to enhance the effect.  It's the dog/cats saliva that reacts with it to break down the tartar and any bacteria.  Petzlife have been doing quite a lot of advertising in the mags and dog press showing before and after pics.

Offline elaine.e

• Sweet William
« Reply #8 on: January 19, 2011, 03:31:51 PM »
Just wondering how Woody is feeling today? Hope he's recovering well :D

Offline catcmartin

• Site Member
  • Hamish
« Reply #9 on: January 20, 2011, 12:01:23 PM »
I use Petzlife on our Charlie and have done for about 2 years.  I have the gel and use a tooth brush to rub it into his teeth, more just to keep him in the habit of having us use the tooth brush.  He is nearly 12y/o and I havent had any problems with his teeth.  I wish I had found Petzlife before I had my angel ESS belle's dental done as at 13y/o she really didnt cope too well with the GA and getting her teeth cleaned. 
Cathy
Belle my Angel 22-09-09
Charlie my Angel 11-12-2014
Hamish latest addition

Offline JaspersMum

• Donator
« Reply #10 on: January 20, 2011, 12:55:33 PM »
I use Petzlife on our Charlie and have done for about 2 years.  I have the gel and use a tooth brush to rub it into his teeth, more just to keep him in the habit of having us use the tooth brush.  He is nearly 12y/o and I havent had any problems with his teeth.  I wish I had found Petzlife before I had my angel ESS belle's dental done as at 13y/o she really didnt cope too well with the GA and getting her teeth cleaned. 

It's a new product for us so thats good to hear.

Offline Black Red + Yellow

• Inactive
« Reply #11 on: January 20, 2011, 01:15:56 PM »
ooo interesting...Just ordered some......just really for Finn's canines...the rest of his teeth seem ok but he doesn't enjoy too much tooth brushing ;)

Offline catcmartin

• Site Member
  • Hamish
« Reply #12 on: January 20, 2011, 02:03:54 PM »
Hi when I started using it 2 years ago I had to get a friend of mine to buy it in the USA for me and send it over to then they opened in the UK 6 months later.  It isnt cheap there are cheaper products like the tooth paste you can buy from the vets but I think in this case you get what you pay for and a bottle of the gel lasts for ages. 
Cathy
Belle my Angel 22-09-09
Charlie my Angel 11-12-2014
Hamish latest addition

Offline stormer

• Jovi and Alfie
« Reply #13 on: January 20, 2011, 11:28:33 PM »
Hi just wondering were you order the Petzlife oral gel from and how much it is .. thanx anyone
Angie..Jovi & Alfie xxx

Offline Annie's Mum

• Donator
  • Annie Cocker & Maisie Cav
« Reply #14 on: January 20, 2011, 11:39:22 PM »
Hi just wondering were you order the Petzlife oral gel from and how much it is .. thanx anyone

me too, Annie has terrible teeth and breath  ph34r....she has same as KC Maisie but hers just wont improve
Sarah owned by Maisie & Annie