Author Topic: Prostate Abscess?? *very quick update and a massive thank you*  (Read 10088 times)

Offline JerryBerry

Hello to all, dont really get much of a chance to come on here very often anymore but try and have a quick look round every now and again.

Jerry is 3 now and over the weekend seemed off colour, he actually wee'd and poo'd in the house which he hasnt done since he was a little pupster, then on Monday he went onto the garden and was squealing when he was emptying his bowels. Took him to the vet on Monday and she said his temperature was way up, she examined his backside and he went crazy, screaming like mad. She drained his anal glands and gave him a shot of painkiller and antibiotics incase the glands were infected but wanted to see him back today. Went back and the temp is still up, and he is still in pain. After examination (again extremely noisy!) she now suspects an abscess on his prostate. Another shot of (a different) antibiotic, painkiller and chemical castration. Again he has to go back tomorrow to check his temp and the affected area. If he is still in pain and/or the temp is still up they will carry out an ultrasound. She says it is only dangerous if the abscess were to burst, but she does say that there is a risk of re-occurance unless we have him castrated.

Just wondered if anyone has had any experience in this matter - not something any of my other dogs have ever suffered with - or if anyone has any advice.

Thanks, a worried Michelle and a poorly Jerry
MICHELLE AND JERRY XXX

Offline Helen

• helen noakes jewellery
Re: Prostate Abscess??
« Reply #1 on: April 05, 2011, 10:26:49 PM »
no advice but OMG how painful for the boy  :'(  Sending lots of healing thoughts his way and lots of these :bigarmhug: for his worried mum  :luv:

helen & jarvis x

Offline JerryBerry

« Reply #2 on: April 05, 2011, 10:29:45 PM »
Thanks Helen. He is in agony bless his little fury socks  :'(  Im just panicking I think incase there is anything more sinister going on.
MICHELLE AND JERRY XXX

Offline Poppsie

• Donator
  • Mia and Phoebe
« Reply #3 on: April 06, 2011, 08:41:01 AM »
Awww poor Jerry  :luv: he must be soooo uncomfortable bless his furry feet.  Hope all goes well for him with the antibiotics.
Can't offer any advice as I've only ever had girls  :luv:  You must be such a worried mum so here is a big  :bigarmhug: just for you and lots of x x x x  for Jerry from me. :luv: :luv: :luv:

love Dianne x x x

poppy 31/12/95-27/4/2009
Pebbles 14/1/97-10/2/2011 
my beautiful girls together again forever x

Offline Helen

• helen noakes jewellery
« Reply #4 on: April 06, 2011, 09:19:43 AM »
How is he feeling today Michelle?  Any better?  :luv:
helen & jarvis x

Offline elaine.e

• Sweet William
« Reply #5 on: April 06, 2011, 09:23:41 AM »
My first Cocker had an enlarged prostate and an Anal Adenoma (harmless lump on his bum) when he was about 9 years old. Until the Adenoma appeared and we took him to the vet we thought he was just getting a bit slow and a bit grumpy because of age, but it turns out his enlarged prostate had been hurting him for some time, poor boy.

I know that's not exactly the same as poor Jerry has, but wanted to say that in Josh's case removal of the Adenoma and castration completely sorted the problem out. No more prostate problems afterwards and Josh was like a new dog :D

I hope Jerry feels better very soon, but if your vet says the abscess may re-occur unless Jerry is castrated it's worth thinking about. I don't have my dogs castrated as a matter of course, but it really made a life changing difference to Josh.

Offline JerryBerry

« Reply #6 on: April 06, 2011, 11:43:57 AM »
Thanks everyone  :luv: :luv: I am a worried mummy, yet again ended up crying infront of the vet (last time because he had a water infection and the jab made me scream like crazy...but I was 6 months pregnant so that was my excuse for being overly emotional  ph34r)  last night I think I ended up crying partly because Im so worried and partly because I feel guilty that we didnt have him castrated earlier.

He's still not himself Helen, I think he feels cooler today so hopefully his temp might have gone down a bit. Gary took him for a late night trot last night and managed to get him to open his bowels although he probably woke a few folk up with his yelping as his did  :'(  Back again tonight around 5pm.

MICHELLE AND JERRY XXX

Offline Eve

• Donator
    • www.yvonnehughes.co.uk
« Reply #7 on: April 06, 2011, 11:47:25 AM »
Let us know how the little fella gets on. Does this mean you are considering neutering now?

Offline JerryBerry

« Reply #8 on: April 06, 2011, 03:27:20 PM »
I will do. Yes, the vet suggested that because he is only three and has already started having problems that this may be ongoing without castration, and could eventually lead to 'the nasty I dont want to mention'. Thats it in my mind!
MICHELLE AND JERRY XXX

Offline Eve

• Donator
    • www.yvonnehughes.co.uk
« Reply #9 on: April 06, 2011, 04:22:27 PM »
Unless you want to use him at stud which I assume you don't, neutering would seem the sensible way to go I should imagine.

Eve

kisses to the little fella.

Offline JerryBerry

« Reply #10 on: April 06, 2011, 04:58:00 PM »
Even if that had have been our intention I would have scrapped the idea to be honest Eve, his health is waaaaay more important. I feel incredibly guilty for not having it done when he was younger now  :'(  Off in a few mins, will report back

Michelle
MICHELLE AND JERRY XXX

Offline JerryBerry

« Reply #11 on: April 06, 2011, 07:13:17 PM »
Evening everyone, just to let you know the vet isnt happy - jerrys temp still up, still not eating, still not wanting to empty his bowels, still in pain on examination. I have got to take him in at 8 in the morning and leave him with them for scans etc.

Michelle
MICHELLE AND JERRY XXX

Offline Poppsie

• Donator
  • Mia and Phoebe
« Reply #12 on: April 06, 2011, 07:19:10 PM »
Oh Michelle so sorry to hear this :luv: Poor little boy he must be in so much pain. Have they given him any pain relief?  I'm sending your boy lots of gentle  :-* and a big  :bigarmhug: for you. x x x

poppy 31/12/95-27/4/2009
Pebbles 14/1/97-10/2/2011 
my beautiful girls together again forever x

Offline Countrygirl

• Donator
    • Countrygirl
« Reply #13 on: April 06, 2011, 08:13:30 PM »
Poor Jerry, hope all goes well tomorrow.

Offline *Jay*

• Donator
« Reply #14 on: April 06, 2011, 08:37:20 PM »
Poor little man - I hope all goes well tomorrow and they can find the cause of his discomfort  :-*

Dallas ( 10) & Disney ( 9 )

Playing at the Bridge: Brook (13/06/04), Jackson (23/12/05) & Vegas (14/07/10)