Author Topic: Prostate Abscess?? *very quick update and a massive thank you*  (Read 10086 times)

Offline Countrygirl

• Donator
    • Countrygirl
Re: Prostate Abscess??
« Reply #30 on: April 07, 2011, 10:17:45 PM »
So pleased his is home, hope thinks continue to improve.

Offline JerryBerry

« Reply #31 on: April 09, 2011, 05:03:41 PM »
we have had to put jerry on a laxitive aswell as the two types of painkillers and antibiotics!! its obviously very painful for him to "go" so he's decided not to bother if he can help it. The laxatives did their thing this morning so its onwards and upwards with the treatment and tlc this weekend and back on monday evening for another check up. 

MICHELLE AND JERRY XXX

Offline Helen

• helen noakes jewellery
« Reply #32 on: April 09, 2011, 09:56:51 PM »
Hope he keeps on improving :luv: :luv:
helen & jarvis x

Offline JerryBerry

Re: Prostate Abscess?? *update page 3*
« Reply #33 on: April 11, 2011, 09:13:24 PM »
Well we have been back to the vet today and unfortunately Jerry's prostate is still massive  :'(   He was in agony when the vet examined him again. I asked her if she was worried and she said "not worried, but frustrated" because she knows he's in pain and she knows Im worried sick. She has given me enough antibiotics for another 3 days and he has to go back on Thursday. She will then decide whether to do a "prostate flush" in order to obtained cultures so she knows exactly what to use to treat it or to try another medication first. Either way he needs castrating as soon as he is well enough, we dont have any choice unless we want this to keep re-occuring. His temperature however is now normal so thats one positive.

Thank you to all for your support. Will keep updating.

Michelle
MICHELLE AND JERRY XXX

Offline Helen

• helen noakes jewellery
« Reply #34 on: April 11, 2011, 09:24:20 PM »
I'm so sorry he's still so poorly  :'( :'( :'(

:bigarmhug:
helen & jarvis x

Offline Mel

• Donator
  • Owned and chomped by Taliesin the Bard.
« Reply #35 on: April 11, 2011, 09:39:48 PM »
My Keli had a swollen prostate aged 10. So please do not feel guilty about not castrating as he may have got this later on or never at all.

Keli was effectively weeing blood. I was sure it was cancer and was sick to the stomach. However, after an x-ray it showed all was normal apart from the inflamed prostate. This is due to the testosterone.

However, I was told if he wasn't castrated he would haemorrage and die within weeks. So, the snip it was and cured the issue overnight. I still feel they are best left intact but in a situation like yours or mine, then the quicker the hormones are removed the better.

Hope the poor little man is feeling much better soon ;)
Kelynen Mister Bojangles 17th March 1997 - 29th January 2010

”Come on Stink-woo, time for bubbyes. End of days now my poppety.”

Free Cake!

Offline *Jay*

• Donator
« Reply #36 on: April 11, 2011, 09:40:42 PM »
I'm sorry to hear he isn't much better - hope things go ok on Thursday  :-*
Dallas ( 10) & Disney ( 9 )

Playing at the Bridge: Brook (13/06/04), Jackson (23/12/05) & Vegas (14/07/10)

Offline JerryBerry

« Reply #37 on: April 11, 2011, 09:48:05 PM »
Thanks all.

Thanks Mel, I do feel terribly guilty but thats not going to help at the moment so Im trying to shove it to oe side. She has given him a jab which was a "chemical castration" that should cut off the testosterone for a while but she said it would take 5-7 days to work. I wonder why she wouldnt just crack on and do the op??
MICHELLE AND JERRY XXX

Offline Mel

• Donator
  • Owned and chomped by Taliesin the Bard.
« Reply #38 on: April 11, 2011, 09:59:49 PM »
Maybe she wants to see if the prostate goes down before going the whole hog and putting him under? It's highly possible there maybe something else that needs addressing, like what has caused the infection and she's using a process of elimination. :D
Kelynen Mister Bojangles 17th March 1997 - 29th January 2010

”Come on Stink-woo, time for bubbyes. End of days now my poppety.”

Free Cake!

Offline sueneal5

« Reply #39 on: April 11, 2011, 10:42:49 PM »
Sorry to hear your boy is poorly.  But it sounds like he is getting there step by step.  You must be so worried.  Fingers crossed the vets can get him fixed soon.

Offline Eve

• Donator
    • www.yvonnehughes.co.uk
« Reply #40 on: April 12, 2011, 09:47:39 AM »
Thanks all.

Thanks Mel, I do feel terribly guilty but thats not going to help at the moment so Im trying to shove it to oe side. She has given him a jab which was a "chemical castration" that should cut off the testosterone for a while but she said it would take 5-7 days to work. I wonder why she wouldnt just crack on and do the op??

Perhaps she feels that as it is an abcess their may be a lot of infection that could go into his body or burst if they operate with it being so large.

Please keep us updated as to how he is doing.

Eve xx

Offline 8 Hairy Feet

• Donator
« Reply #41 on: April 12, 2011, 10:04:04 AM »
Aw your poor little guy is really in the wars :'(
Hoping things improve very soon for him, you must be worried sick I really feel for you both.
xxx

Offline ejp

• Donator
« Reply #42 on: April 12, 2011, 07:35:44 PM »
You are both having a really tough time just now, hope they get this sorted soon.  Poor Jerry  :bigarmhug:

Offline BabyB

« Reply #43 on: April 12, 2011, 07:48:57 PM »
I've only just seen this, and reading it makes me wince (and I'm a girl) to think of him in such pain, so I'd have cried at the vets too - so you're not alone on that one.

I think it's positive when the vet said she was frustrated rather than worried.

Fingers crossed his meds will kick in, and she'll be able to get him sorted.

I wasn't into having ours castrated, but as they got older they started to have problems - Dylan with an anal adenoma like elaine.e's Josh (testosterone increases the chances of it coming back), and our Morgan had a secondary tumour in his (both aged around 10/11yrs old at the time).

If he's not going to be 'using' 'em, get rid is my opinion  ;)
Mummy loves her angels - but they're not angels all the time - They love to chew and charge about - but mummy doesn't mind

Offline elaine.e

• Sweet William
« Reply #44 on: April 12, 2011, 08:19:19 PM »
Poor Jerry :'(

I hope the antibiotics have made a difference by the time you take him back to the vet on Thursday. I think I can understand why the vet won't castrate him while his prostate is so enlarged, because if it's an abscess and it bursts I think there would be a big risk of infection.

Sending you some hugs too, because it's horrid when we can see they're hurting but can't put it right straightaway for them  :bigarmhug: :bigarmhug: