Author Topic: Food Allergies  (Read 325 times)

Offline White Bryony

• Site Member
  • Woofie 5.5.1999 - 29.4.13
Food Allergies
« on: November 27, 2011, 11:13:23 PM »
Is it possible to develop a food allergy after years of being on the same food?

After reading a fellow COL's post earlier and having had Maddie to the Vets yesterday because of an ear infection, I have convinced myself that Maddie has a food allergy.

Although quite subtle I think it may have started about 6 months ago, she has always had slightly weepy eyes but thinking back she has been a bit twitchy, nibbling her back legs and scratching her ears more than usual.  And now with having an infection in both ears (its her first ever ear infection) I can't help but think it could be related to her diet.

She eats 1/3 of pack of nature diet (different flavours) morning/evening with a bit of Woofie's kibble. Woofie's kibble did change earlier in the year when his PAH brand changed, I tried him on the new version for a while but a couple of months ago changed him onto Wainwrights.

I am thinking of stopping the kibble and just giving her 1/2 pack of nature diet for each meal of the same flavour and see if this makes any difference - does that sound ok?  What treats could I give her that would be ok?

I would appreciate any advice

Thanks

Lisa x

Lisa, Maddie and Woofie (now at the bridge) xx

Offline LurcherGirl

• Site Member
    • Wagging Tails Dog Training
Re: Food Allergies
« Reply #1 on: November 28, 2011, 10:27:57 AM »
It seems that you have changed foods also which means that your dog might be allergic to somethign in the new food. And yes, they can become allergic to something they have always been fine with.

If the skin and ear issues persist, it might be worth doing a comprehensive thyroid check too to make sure that's not the underlying issue.

Vera
Vera Marney
BSc (Hons) Canine Behaviour and Training, APDT UK
www.wtdt.co.uk and www.wtdt-eastanglia.co.uk