Author Topic: Something's wrong with Cooper  (Read 4329 times)

Offline coopersmum

Something's wrong with Cooper
« on: August 29, 2012, 07:25:28 PM »
I'm really worried about Coop tonight. He seemed a little quieter than normal when I got home but its been really hot so I thought it might be that. He looked a little stiff in his hindquarters this afternoon but ate his dinner like normal. Now he's not interested in food and is really depressed (no waggy tail). His temp is very slightly increased (for him, and by no means a fever) and his colour is normal though. If I take him in to uni now they'll admit him no matter what and he gets beside himself, so I don't really want to do that but morning seems like such a long way off. I wonder if its the immune mediated poly arthritis making a reappearance or if its something else like a gastro problem and the stiffness is not connected ( he has stiff days sometimes). I'm so worried about him :'(

Offline ollie nathan's mum

• Donator
Re: Something's wrong with Cooper
« Reply #1 on: August 29, 2012, 07:38:15 PM »
So sorry to here about coop, is he taking fluids. Maybe see if he will eat some ice cubes, might help with his temp? Good luck hope he improves.  :luv:
Ollie D.O.B 29/03/2010

Offline coopersmum

« Reply #2 on: August 29, 2012, 07:45:06 PM »
He's been drinking quite well but he now doesn't want to shift off his bed to do anything. I will try him on some ice cubes now. I don't know if its pain or because he just feels rotten... 

Offline Archie bean

• Donator
  • Archie. RIP bridge babies Sherwood and Dickon.
    • Emma Graham Harpist
« Reply #3 on: August 29, 2012, 07:49:12 PM »
How does his tummy feel? He sounds to be behaving quite similarly to my last cocker Dickon who suffered from pancreatitis. Dickon's tum used to get quite rigid and it was uncomfortable if you pushed it gently. Rubbing it lightly with the tips of the fingers seemed to soothe him. Hope your boy is feeling better soon.  :luv:

Offline coopersmum

« Reply #4 on: August 29, 2012, 07:55:35 PM »
Thanks Archie bean, pancreatitis has crossed my mind but his tummy doesn't feel rigid at all. I don't think I'd rule it out though, he looks very green when offered food. I took him to be clipped on Friday and I wonder if he's picked something up there... I stayed with him and held him but it wasn't the place I usually go to. I think I'm just clutching at straws ... 

• Donator
« Reply #5 on: August 29, 2012, 07:57:34 PM »
Have you any analgesic you could give him?
Ollie D.O.B 29/03/2010

Offline Neon

• Donator
« Reply #6 on: August 29, 2012, 08:06:27 PM »
Sorry to hear Cooper's not feeling too good. (are his gums pale at all).  Really hope you can find and sort the problem out quickly.  :luv:

(RIP Charlie and Jarvis - Love You Both Forever)  :luv: :luv:

Offline coopersmum

« Reply #7 on: August 29, 2012, 08:13:22 PM »
I've got tramadol, but I'm a little nervous to give him any without knowing what's going on and then mask his symptoms if he's deteriorating and I need to get him to varsity. Do you think I should give him some?  I gave him some pred earlier which should help a bit as at first I thought it might be the IMPA flaring up. I've made a mistake if he actually has an infection and I will have to do some explaining tomorrow :( He's not crying or shaking, just very depressed. I've just had a listen to his gut sounds and they're going great guns so I wonder if he's got a tummy issue along with something else. My brain turns to mush when its Cooper :(

Offline coopersmum

« Reply #8 on: August 29, 2012, 08:18:57 PM »
His gums are still a good colour although his pulse and respiratory rate are a little up. Its like he decided since exams were over he could stress me out to his hearts content.

• Donator
« Reply #9 on: August 29, 2012, 08:32:47 PM »
Guess his pulse and rests could be up due to the heat, maybe he has an upset tummy? Probably right to leave out the analgesic.
Ollie D.O.B 29/03/2010

Offline coopersmum

« Reply #10 on: August 29, 2012, 08:49:21 PM »
I've just taken him out for a wee and he's walking very stiffly, his whole body looks sore. I'm beginning to think this an auto immune flare up with a tummy bug on top of it possibly :( 

Offline Neon

• Donator
« Reply #11 on: August 29, 2012, 09:17:18 PM »
I've just taken him out for a wee and he's walking very stiffly, his whole body looks sore. I'm beginning to think this an auto immune flare up with a tummy bug on top of it possibly :( 

My dog had auto immune (AIHA) and had some of the exact symptoms that Cooper's got, but his gums were very pale.  Please don't panic.  If Cooper's gums are a good colour it's a good sign. 

Offline Poppsie

• Donator
  • Mia and Phoebe
« Reply #12 on: August 29, 2012, 09:28:59 PM »
I must admit I was going to say it sounds like pancreatitis  :-\ x x x

poppy 31/12/95-27/4/2009
Pebbles 14/1/97-10/2/2011 
my beautiful girls together again forever x

Offline coopersmum

« Reply #13 on: August 29, 2012, 09:35:21 PM »
Thanks Mel, he's had a tough time since August last year and in the end was tentatively diagnosed with IMPA based on his response to steroids. The vets down here don't quite agree as the diagnosis was never confirmed so I'm going to have a great time tomorrow trying to convince them to bark up that tree. He's getting progressivley stiffer and stiffer as the night wears on, I can see it when he tries to get up and when he shuffles :'(  Do they have joint pain with AIHA too? I will get them to do bloods tomorrow too.

Offline Neon

• Donator
« Reply #14 on: August 29, 2012, 09:47:32 PM »
Jarvis started with a limp in his hind leg.  Before too long he couldn't even hold his head up.  It was obvious any movement was very painful for him, so yes, AIHA causes pain and stiffness.  At first, the vet diagnosed arthritis and treated accordingly but his symptoms got worse until eventually it was too late - he had to be PTS.  If diagnosed early, AIHA can be treated with the dog going into remission. 

Please, please don't worry.  The reason I'm telling you is so you can be armed with a little more knowledge and ask more questions.  I really hope Cooper's problem isn't serious.  Of course you must do what you think is best, but knowing what I know now, I wouldn't give Cooper any medication at all tonight then get him to a vet in the morning if there's no improvement.  And ask the vet about AIHA and pacreatitis, they take more notice of you if if you have some knowledge. 

Please let us know how you get on. xx