Author Topic: UPDATE Pg 4. Ozzy has serious eye problem  (Read 10497 times)

Offline piph

• Donator
  • Ozzy and Jess
UPDATE Pg 4. Ozzy has serious eye problem
« on: September 13, 2012, 11:25:40 AM »
I've looked through loads of previous threads on teething and I can't find anything which answers my question, so sorry of this has been asked and answered before!

Ozzy has not been at all himself over the last couple of days.  I noticed that his 2 top front teeth had gone a week or so ago, and now the new ones are coming through.  But he has stopped chewing ANYTHING - he won't even pick up a toy in his mouth, and if he tries he gives a little whimper and drops it straight away.  He is eating okay, but very gingerly, and swallowing his kibble whole - (it is very small).  He had real trouble with his bedtime biscuits last night, dropping them on the floor and nibbling carefully.  He also seems very lethargic, and is sleeping a lot, although he still has periods when he's acting normally - he was fine on his walk this morning, for example. I've got an old tea towel freezing at the mo, but I'm not sure it will help as he just doesn't seem to want anything in his mouth at all. I gave him a couple of icecubes earlier, he chased them around the floor licking at them, but didn't take them right into his mouth. He's obviously in a lot of pain, but I don't know what to do to help him, as he won't chew anything.  Of course, he won't let me look to see where it's inflamed, if it even is - I managed a quick peek when he was licking at my hand this morning, but it all looks fairly normal in there.

Should we take him to the vet, or can we give him something like baby Calpol to help with the pain?

Offline Sharon

• Inactive
  • Bramble
Re: Teething? or something else?
« Reply #1 on: September 13, 2012, 12:41:29 PM »
Bumble is nearly 15 weeks and he's been the same the last few days, he would normal polish off a chicken wing in minutes, but it literally took him 50 minutes this morning, all down to teething.

Offline piph

• Donator
  • Ozzy and Jess
« Reply #2 on: September 13, 2012, 01:24:07 PM »
Ozzy has slept all morning, and we had to wake him to give him his lunch - his left eye now looks very odd and seems to be bulging and also drooping, so going to make an appointment with the vet for this afternoon - although how they are going to examine him, goodness only knows!  Will put an update on later when we've been.

Offline 8 Hairy Feet

• Donator
« Reply #3 on: September 13, 2012, 01:32:13 PM »
Oh yes please let us know
how he goes on....
 :-* for little Ozzy from Elliex

Offline Holly2009

• Inactive
« Reply #4 on: September 13, 2012, 02:07:06 PM »
Hope your wee darlins ok  :bigarmhug:

Offline karendorman13

« Reply #5 on: September 13, 2012, 02:11:14 PM »
I hope Ozzy is ok, Kol's sending  :bigarmhug: lets us know how he is later x

Offline Archie bean

• Donator
  • Archie. RIP bridge babies Sherwood and Dickon.
    • Emma Graham Harpist
« Reply #6 on: September 13, 2012, 02:17:51 PM »
Oh my gosh, poor you and poor baby. Hope he's OK and the vet manages to get to the bottom of things.  :bigarmhug:

Offline Pearly

• Donator
  • Pearl, Coral, Sally, Purdey and Kukri
« Reply #7 on: September 13, 2012, 02:31:13 PM »
poor Ozzy, hope he's ok, sounds like the best idea to get him to the vets. 

All dogs seem to react in different ways to teething

Pearl lost all her baby teeth and gained adult teeth in the space of a week and picked up an infection in her gum, Ozzy sounds just the same as Pearl was = off her food, not interested in chews or treats, lethargic and slept a lot.....dose of AB's and she was great again.

:bigarmhug: for you and Ozzy
x

Offline Lily Freya

• Owned by Luis, Ollie and Gracie.
« Reply #8 on: September 13, 2012, 02:42:55 PM »
Oh poor Ozzy....big hugs winging their way through cyber space.

Good luck at the vet. Xxx
No longer in my arms, but forever in my heart, my girls at the Bridge, Lily and Freya. Xx

Offline piph

• Donator
  • Ozzy and Jess
« Reply #9 on: September 13, 2012, 02:58:33 PM »
poor Ozzy, hope he's ok, sounds like the best idea to get him to the vets. 

All dogs seem to react in different ways to teething

Pearl lost all her baby teeth and gained adult teeth in the space of a week and picked up an infection in her gum, Ozzy sounds just the same as Pearl was = off her food, not interested in chews or treats, lethargic and slept a lot.....dose of AB's and she was great again.

:bigarmhug: for you and Ozzy
x

Pearly - he's not actually off his food, greedy beggar - it just seems to hurt him to eat it, but he still managed to hoover it up, it just took him a few nanoseconds longer than it normally does!  But he looked interested when OH and I sat down with our lunch, then just went straight back to sleep, which is very unusual!  Anyway, appointment at 4.40 so we'll see what they say.

Thanks everyone for the messages of sympathy and support - the little  >:D do like to worry us, don't they!  ;)

Offline SophieBlueRoanLover

• Sophie Carr Photography
« Reply #10 on: September 13, 2012, 04:05:29 PM »
Good luck at the vet later - it's all so worrying isn't it? Henry's teething at the moment and I don't know if he's acting strange or whether I'm just thinking that he's acting strange because I'm worried that he might be. He's still chewing stuff though, so not going through what poor Ozzy's going through.

BTW Henry used to wolf his food down in about 30 seconds (literally - no exaggeration), so I started adding a bit of water to it, so he has to lap a bit first. It slows him right down to 2 or 3 minutes! It might be an idea if it is hurting Ozzy to eat to soak the kibble a little bit first so it's a bit more mushy for him.

Offline piph

• Donator
  • Ozzy and Jess
« Reply #11 on: September 13, 2012, 05:35:09 PM »
Back from the vet's - you wouldn't have thought anything was wrong with him while we were there, so animated was he!! I suppose with lots to take his interest he forgot to feel poorly.  Anyway - not a lot wrong with his mouth except that his front few teeth are very loose and when the vet managed to get her finger in an wobbled them, he yelped - so it's just that they hurt!  She examined his eye very thoroughly, put some fluorescent drops in and looked for scratches or injury - nothing, then she put some local anaesthetic in and ran a cotton bud all around under all his eyelids to dislodge anything that might be there, again nothing.  There is obviously a local infection anyway, so we have some anti-inflamatory eye drops and some painkillers for him.  As to how we are going to get the eye drops in goodness alone knows, as he's very wriggly, but I'm sure we'll manage!  She thinks that the eye problem is coincidental and nothing to do with the sore mouth.

He's now gone into a sulk and is looking all forlorn again!  I think he's having us on a bit.  :005:

He is booked in to start training classes tomorrow evening, but we'll have to see how he is before we take him.

Will update in a day or two to let you all know how he is.

Offline piph

• Donator
  • Ozzy and Jess
« Reply #12 on: September 13, 2012, 05:39:35 PM »
Good luck at the vet later - it's all so worrying isn't it? Henry's teething at the moment and I don't know if he's acting strange or whether I'm just thinking that he's acting strange because I'm worried that he might be. He's still chewing stuff though, so not going through what poor Ozzy's going through.

BTW Henry used to wolf his food down in about 30 seconds (literally - no exaggeration), so I started adding a bit of water to it, so he has to lap a bit first. It slows him right down to 2 or 3 minutes! It might be an idea if it is hurting Ozzy to eat to soak the kibble a little bit first so it's a bit more mushy for him.

Sophie - wow 30 seconds - that's a long time, Ozzy's is usually gone in about 15!!   ;)  After the first few days at home, he wouldn't eat his kibble if it was soaked, but it won't do any harm to try it again - it might help him eat it more easily.

Offline karendorman13

« Reply #13 on: September 13, 2012, 06:07:08 PM »
You can get a teething gel for pups from pets at home and its had some pretty decent reviews I am going to pick some up at the weekend as Kol has lost his first tooth

Offline piph

• Donator
  • Ozzy and Jess
« Reply #14 on: September 13, 2012, 06:22:24 PM »
You can get a teething gel for pups from pets at home and its had some pretty decent reviews I am going to pick some up at the weekend as Kol has lost his first tooth

I might try that as well, but whether he'd let me put it on is another matter!