Author Topic: What is hand stripping?  (Read 93355 times)

Offline angelad

What is hand stripping?
« Reply #30 on: October 04, 2002, 02:55:38 PM »
Thanks for that Dessie, I thought as much as Cooper doesn't seem to have suffered and he loves the sea too :D
Actually SWAM for the first time last week < ;D proud mum>                    
Angela & Cooper

Offline Dessie

• Site Member
  • Marvin, Oliver & Douglas
    • Derrindee Spaniels
What is hand stripping?
« Reply #31 on: October 04, 2002, 03:31:18 PM »
Hi Angela

Douglas swam as soon as he went in the water, he just wanted to follow Sebastian, and doesn't he look cute  ;) Must get some photos before the weather turns ...                    
Dessie, Douglas, Marvin & Oliver (ESS)(The Guernsey Crew) :D :D

Derrindee Spaniels
Guernsey, Channel Islands

Offline Michele

• Site Member
What is hand stripping?
« Reply #32 on: October 04, 2002, 09:45:23 PM »
I got that Ikea bath - great isn't it  ;D.

I love bargains!

And their bath mats are really cheap too, good for standing the dog on whilst grooming ;D                    

Offline angelad

What is hand stripping?
« Reply #33 on: October 07, 2002, 09:39:58 AM »
Ok, so having sorted out the coat king anf comb (lets hope they come with instuctions) which thinning scissors should I be looking at? - what a choice! Any help would be greatfully received.                    
Angela & Cooper

Offline Jane S

• Administrator
What is hand stripping?
« Reply #34 on: October 07, 2002, 12:16:48 PM »
Thinning scissors for Cockers should be the ones with 46 teeth in the serrated side. There are many different makes available at very different prices - someone I know has some Japanese thinners which cost £200, slightly out of the price range of most people ;D I prefer the Roseline range of scissors (available from Simpsons, http://www.simpsons-online.co.uk/) but many people start with a pair of Gotta 65 thinners - a good, sturdy scissors which will do the job (widely available including from Diamond Edge, http://www.diamondedgeltd.com/acatalog/Onl...cissors_21.html)                    
Jane

Offline angelad

What is hand stripping?
« Reply #35 on: October 08, 2002, 01:29:35 PM »
Thanks for the help Jane. I placed an order with Diamond Edge yesturday for the coat king and the comb - it was on the doorstep this morning - what service! ;D I have used the coat king this afternoon on Cooper and all I can say is WOW - what a difference! I think we should all go into business producing stuffing for cushions! - could raise some money Stuart.
Thankyou all for your help on how to groom, with the table etc. No more trips to the grooming place when I can hopefully acheive a better result than clipping. I am soooooooooo pleased ;D, and Cooper was so good for me. (I've used the top of his crate until my table is made.)                    
Angela & Cooper

Offline Mike

• Retired!
  • Site Member
What is hand stripping?
« Reply #36 on: October 08, 2002, 01:33:09 PM »
I had next day delivery too, which I thought was pretty cool.

I'm halfway towards my first cushion already  ;)                    

Offline angelad

What is hand stripping?
« Reply #37 on: October 08, 2002, 04:57:29 PM »
Good stuff Mike. ;D Well thats my scissors sorted out, my Mum is getting them as a late birthday & early christmas present. Now all I need is the video on how to do it... I do love this site it is so useful. :D                    
Angela & Cooper

Offline angelad

What is hand stripping?
« Reply #38 on: October 09, 2002, 10:12:19 AM »
I tried to get the video using the link that Jane provided and unfortunately it seems that the telephone number is wrong on thier site, so for anyone else I managed to get it from http://www.dezynadog.co.uk/pages/index2.html

HTH
Angela                    
Angela & Cooper

Offline Jane S

• Administrator
What is hand stripping?
« Reply #39 on: October 09, 2002, 10:46:30 AM »
Ooh I do hate it when websites don't update their details :) Thanks for posting that new link Angela - I shall update my records accordingly :)

Jane                    
Jane

Offline Mike

• Retired!
  • Site Member
What is hand stripping?
« Reply #40 on: October 09, 2002, 03:26:12 PM »
Having used the coat king and spratts comb, Daisy is now looking much neater and tidier, but I'm not really sure what to do with her feathers. Should they be 'stripped' too? Is this where thinning scissors come in (which I dont have yet)? I want the feathers  to be a tidier than they currently are, but dont want to lose too much length if thats possible. What do our resident grooming experts recommend please?  :D                    

Offline Pammy

• Inactive
What is hand stripping?
« Reply #41 on: October 09, 2002, 04:01:57 PM »
Mick

If Daisy has profuse feathering on her front legs - the thinners can be used to thin it out. Only trim the length if you need to. You can take the ends off - lightly - to remove any unsightly straggles.

You can also thin the chest furnishings if they are very thick. It's really down to you and the look you want and how much hair you want to deal with. Scour the web for pictures of Cockers and find ones you like the look of then you know what you're aiming for. Keep that picture to hand when  trimming - it'll help you picture how it looks against your girl.

The main thing is to snip once - brush step back and look again - you can take more off but you can't put it back on.!! We ALL wish we could at times.

Use the thinners on her throat to trim the hair close to the skin - this can be difficult and you have to be very careful not to catch the dogs throat - coz it hurts :'(

Have you got some straight scissors? You'll need them to do the feet. Cut away all the excess hair under the paws so that it is level with the pads. Don't go in between the pads. When she is standing - take your straight scissors and cut vertically down against the side and front of her paw to cut away all the hair that sticks out.

It is not easy and takes time to learn. You will make mistakes - honest we all do.

I have some ifno'n on my web-site about trimming and also a link to another site that gives some really good pointers.

A word of warning about the video. I have it - it's not bad but doesn't really deal with a dog that has a lot of coat or one that wriggles and has ticklish feet ;D

hth a bit anyway                    
Pam n the boys

Growing old is compulsory growing up is optional

Offline angelad

What is hand stripping?
« Reply #42 on: October 09, 2002, 04:55:43 PM »
Thanks for that info Pam - I swear Mike can read my mind  :D as this is just what I was wondering as well.
Hows the cushion business going Mike? ;D                    
Angela & Cooper

Offline Mike

• Retired!
  • Site Member
What is hand stripping?
« Reply #43 on: October 09, 2002, 05:02:04 PM »
Must be a case of 'great minds'...  :D I've filled half a carrier bag with hair from Daisy, and the springer's ears, and it's so soft!!

Thank you very much Pam, all very helpful. Daisy's feathers arent anywhere near as long as Jasper's or Otis'  8), so hopefully thinning will do the trick. I saw a nice picture of one of Dessie's dogs (Bart maybe?) which is a blue roan with lovely long feathers, that's what I'll be aiming for (wishful thinking!!)  ;)                    

Offline angelad

What is hand stripping?
« Reply #44 on: October 09, 2002, 06:37:58 PM »
I know this may sound like a really stupid question but I am going to ask any way. I am supposed to use the coat king 'with ' the coat and not against it aren't I?
The other thing is he has a really curly head, what should I do with that?                    
Angela & Cooper