Author Topic: Slalom/weave poles  (Read 1933 times)

Offline Aearoniel

• Site Member
  • Callie
Slalom/weave poles
« on: October 12, 2007, 06:05:40 PM »
Hey,

We recently got a set of weave poles from Royal canin and inside is a leaflet (in french so I had to get babel fish out!) which said:

"The slalom is an obstacle which is difficult and scary for the dog. for this reason we reccomend to only start this exercise when the pup has finished growing at the age of..."

My question is... is there any truth in this and should I pack it away until Callie is older? Or can I teach her to do it now? Are there any health risks to letting her do it. Obviously if she was scared in any way I would do it, I was planning on leaving it in the garden a while so she got used to it etc.

Thanks!
Lainy and Callie

Offline sportsmonki

• Site Member
  • Storm
Re: Slalom/weave poles
« Reply #1 on: October 13, 2007, 06:29:57 PM »
Hmmm...is it just normal weaving poles?  I dont really see why you cant start to teach a pup the weaves?  I think it is only the jumps you have to be careful about, and shouldnt start till they are 12-18 months when their skeletons are more developed?

Offline Cob-Web

• Inactive
  • To err is human, to forgive, canine
    • Walking on Wight Blog
« Reply #2 on: October 13, 2007, 06:47:22 PM »
Some keen dogs will "bounce" through the weaves once they get the hang of it - but I see no reason not to being teach a reliable entry before a year old  ;)
Enrich your life with an Oldie!
Oldies Club

Offline Aearoniel

• Site Member
  • Callie
« Reply #3 on: October 13, 2007, 08:28:26 PM »
Yes they are just standard weave poles (from what I've seen of the poles elsewhere) thanks for your help guys! I will teach her really slowly just to be sure, perhaps once a week a couple of goes through them :)

Offline Cob-Web

• Inactive
  • To err is human, to forgive, canine
    • Walking on Wight Blog
« Reply #4 on: October 13, 2007, 08:32:15 PM »
Yes they are just standard weave poles (from what I've seen of the poles elsewhere) thanks for your help guys! I will teach her really slowly just to be sure, perhaps once a week a couple of goes through them :)

Are you planning on starting agility when she is old enough? If so, it might be worth finding out how you will be taught the weaves at class - some trainers don't encourage a full length of weaves until a reliable entry is established  ;)
Enrich your life with an Oldie!
Oldies Club

Offline Aearoniel

• Site Member
  • Callie
« Reply #5 on: October 13, 2007, 08:44:32 PM »
Oh I hadn't thought of that, we are at training on Sunday afternoon I will ask the trainer how they do it. Callie already loves the tunnel and our mini A frame (about knee height if that) she also likes going between the empty jump stands :) and the kids were playing with a hula hoop with her getting her to step through it. Trying to get her used to as many thing we will be doing with her when she is older as possible :)

The only problem with that is the poles don't separate into a shorter number it's either them all or nothing but i'll ask about that too :)

Thanks!