Author Topic: Is it possible for a dogs mouth to be too small?  (Read 1057 times)

Offline Sarah1985

Is it possible for a dogs mouth to be too small?
« on: July 06, 2010, 09:36:36 AM »
Hello

I think I have another training problem. Ive always wanted to take part in flyball competitions with my dogs and I thought it would be a good hobby for me and my OH to do together as its a team sport. Whereas lots of other doggy activities tend to be for individuals.

Dexter has started training since turning one with a view to competiting next summer. He was a natural from the first run and loves it. My youngest Clover is coming up to 8 months so we've started letting her practice running up to the box, collecting a ball and running back to me. However she never naturally took to it.

Shes always loved gun dog activities so I decided to get her doing gun dog work with a tennis ball to her her used to running towards me with a ball. As well as a few blind reteives. This back ground knowledge really helped Dexter with the basics of flyball so I thought it could hurt with Clover. However the more I do with her the more I think her mouth is too small for a tennis ball. She can floorlessly collect a dumbell, soft toy or frisbe but as soon as shes presented with a tennis ball it all falls to pieces. Do you think her mouth could be too small or is it a case that I need to stick with it and let her get used to it? She is only a tiny cocker (8kgs). But ive seen small terriers competing at flyball without a problem....

Im fully aware this is a prob a stupid question.  :005: But its really fustrating. Ive managed to her her carrying a ball that is a tiny bit smaller than a tennis ball but cant seem to get her past this stage. So what are people opinions? is it a case of persiverance and practice? Build her up gradually  Or are so small dog physically incable of carrying a tennis ball?

I know there are other activites that shes a natural at and I should stick with them but flyball is the one that I thought we could all do and enjoy together (cheesy I know). Shes such a natural retevier and does it at top speed. I was hoping she'd apply this to flyball. I think if she was doing it with a different toy shed take to it naturally but its tennis balls or nothing if i want her to compete.

Any thoughts are much appreciated

Offline tillydog

• Site Member
  • Rommel & Lady
Re: Is it possible for a dogs mouth to be too small?
« Reply #1 on: July 06, 2010, 09:46:58 AM »
This probably seems obvious but if she has no problems carrying a smaller ball, then use a smaller ball for flyball/training. As far as I know, a dog doesnt have to use a tennis ball ... how would a small/toy breed manage with a tennis ball? They cant! Just use a smaller ball that she can manage!

Offline MaggieR

• Donator
« Reply #2 on: July 06, 2010, 09:48:04 AM »
Interestingly Maggie's hydrotherapist thought Maggies mouth would be too small for a tennis ball when we were trying to find her something motivating in the pool...She was really surprised when I suggested it, said as she was so tiny she thought she would struggle to get her nashers round it. Needless to say she doesn't and its the only thing she will swim for. Must admit I thought she was a tad barmy, but maybe there's something in it... maybe some dogs just can't  :dunno:  No help I know, just thought I'd mention it so you know there are dogs out there apparently who do struggle with them.

Could you not use a smaller ball?
Lisa & Maggie x

One reason a dog can be such a comfort when you're feeling blue is that he doesn't try to find out why.  ~Author Unknown

Offline Sarah1985

« Reply #3 on: July 06, 2010, 09:56:00 AM »
This probably seems obvious but if she has no problems carrying a smaller ball, then use a smaller ball for flyball/training. As far as I know, a dog doesnt have to use a tennis ball ... how would a small/toy breed manage with a tennis ball? They cant! Just use a smaller ball that she can manage!

I thought this as did the team but then i saw a dog getting disquailified for using an illegal ball. They were using a sponge one and there was a right whohaa. Apperently this dog had been competing for years with it, it was on of the top dogs but cant use tennis balls as its got problems with its teeth. End result was the whole team were disqualified. And no doubt the end of this dogs flyballing.. Crazy if you ask me but I suppose there have to be rules.

Ill have to spend abit of time looking at the rules. If i can find a small tennis ball I might be ok but I dont want to jepedise the team by using something I shouldnt.

Offline Sarah1985

« Reply #4 on: July 06, 2010, 09:59:19 AM »
Im viewing it as a stretching thing. I just need to work her mouth up to it. She isnt physically incapable but just unwilling if that makes sense. Im trying to build on it. I have a few months before she can jump anyway so i have time but I dont want to waste my time on something that wont work.

Offline Holly Berry

• Donator
  • Today I’m going to be a b****r
« Reply #5 on: July 06, 2010, 10:08:25 AM »
Looks like the rules accommodate dogs that can't carry tennis balls.

http://www.flyball.org.uk/official/rules/curr_rules.pdf

5.9. Balls
Each team shall have its own supply of un-punctured, regulation tennis balls (any colour).
(that should easily be distinguishable when being carried by a dog, to a judge officiating a
race) Subject to the size and comfort of the dog, other smaller approved balls may be used.

Rosie Cassie Lucy Poppy and Holly My Angels at the Bridge

Offline Sarah1985

« Reply #6 on: July 06, 2010, 10:31:25 AM »
oooo there may be hope for my little girl yet then   :lol2:

Thank you.