Author Topic: Flyball.....  (Read 817 times)

Offline bobbylfc

Flyball.....
« on: March 22, 2011, 11:40:41 AM »
Im sooooo nervous, Bobby and I are entering our first flyball competition this weekend!

To make matters worse he isnt even doing starters he is going straight into an open team!!!

In training he has only done it a few times without netting, and was wondering do you get reallty frowned upon if he runs out? Also can just imagine how bad my changeovers will be (hope no one laughs at us) and how many lights im going to get! Has anyone got any tips?

And does anyone have any tips to make him stand for measuring as he is going to be the height dog.
Natalie, Bobby & Tess

Offline goldblend90

• Donator
  • Harley Boy looking good !!
Re: Flyball.....
« Reply #1 on: March 23, 2011, 07:18:32 PM »
Hi there

First rule, is to enjoy it!!

Don't worry if Bobby runs out, its all part of the learning curve.  At training you can never recreate a competition scenario, so it is difficult to get experience for your first run, and especially in open, that fab!!  Well done to you and Bobby!!

As for height measurement, you put you dog under a structure, so the top moves down, and the measurement is taken.  I hold a metal pole over the shoulders of mine so they get the feel.  The people who record the heights are head judges, so are used to taking them, and also used to helping dogs get measured.

I have found flyball to be a friendly sport to be in, and there is always someone there who can help you with any problems that may occur.

Jenny, Harley & Mayhem

Offline bobbylfc

« Reply #2 on: March 23, 2011, 07:22:42 PM »
Thanks problem is I've drilled bobby in sitting so much he does it without askin do I just prop him up? Can't wait but really nervous too lol
Natalie, Bobby & Tess

Offline supergirl

• Wonderful Indie
« Reply #3 on: March 23, 2011, 10:52:24 PM »
Don't worry, everyone's really friendly.  Misha was also the same and went straight to running with one of the clubs teams and didn't do starters.   She did her 2nd competition last weekend and has a 3rd comp this coming weekend.  If your unsure when to let the dog go ask one of your team members to help.  Initially I had someone standing alongside me telling me when to let her go.  To be honest I haven't quite got my timing right or where to let Misha go from, but I guess that comes with experience.  Misha is also a height dog running at 8".

Don't worry about run outs, even the most experienced dogs sometimes lose concentration - last weekend one of our butch labradors just had to go and get one of the other teams pink tennis balls!  :005: and judges are very understanding.

Just have fun - it is very exciting. :D
Misha, Ellie, Roly, Lexi (& Karen)

People who have dogs live longer - it's all the extra love