Author Topic: Arthritis  (Read 8996 times)

Offline LurcherGirl

• Site Member
    • Wagging Tails Dog Training
Re: Arthritis
« Reply #30 on: April 05, 2014, 11:29:36 PM »
Here's what my dogs get as a prevention for arthritis or when they have arthritis (which at the moment none of them have despite being nearly 10 and nearly 13):

Salmon and/or coconut oil
Glucosamine/chondroitin/MSM supplement
Turmeric (excellent stuff, also for other inflammatory conditions, my saluki has degenerative disc disease and turmeric works beautifully)
McTimoney chiropractic (realigning the spine and other bones and with that helping them weight bare correctly and minimise incorrect pressure on their joints and keeping muscles tension free).

Other things that can work:
Hydrotherapy
Green lipped mussel extract
Devil's claw
TTouch
Massage (and similar therapies)
Acupuncture
Magnetic collar

And of course most important is keeping their weight low to keep additional strain off their joints.
Vera Marney
BSc (Hons) Canine Behaviour and Training, APDT UK
www.wtdt.co.uk and www.wtdt-eastanglia.co.uk

Offline catcmartin

• Site Member
  • Hamish
« Reply #31 on: April 13, 2014, 11:52:16 AM »
Hi there my Charlie 15y/o on 26th is receiving acupuncture every 2nd week moved out from once per week along with Tramadol for pain relief for arthritis in both hips.  He is having tramadol and it was felt that NSAIDS for pain relief could upset his fragile gut so vet decided not to prescribe those.  He also has disk disease had spinal surgery when he blew 2 disks 9 years ago.  He is on a host of supplements since then, Omega 3, Glucosamine/Coindroitin etc.  I like that you are getting results with Tumeric and was wondering what dose you are giving and I will try that for Charlie he is 13KG in weight.   I have read that some say acupuncture does not help I know it makes my auldie feel better he comes out with a spring in his step which is not bad considering his back legs are getting very weak.  That is good enough for me. 

Cathy
Cathy
Belle my Angel 22-09-09
Charlie my Angel 11-12-2014
Hamish latest addition

Offline elaine.e

• Sweet William
« Reply #32 on: April 13, 2014, 12:55:43 PM »
I have some turmeric, coconut oil and black pepper at the ready but haven't used them yet. Apparently turmeric works best when combined with coconut oil or olive oil to make a paste and a little black pepper is added, but don't ask me what the science is behind it :dunno:

If you're on Facebook there's a useful group called the Turmeric User's Group, set up by an Ozzie vet.

Nice to hear that Charlie is doing well :D

Offline catcmartin

• Site Member
  • Hamish
« Reply #33 on: April 13, 2014, 04:35:59 PM »
Thanks Elaine yes he is still with us has his good and bad days but so far nothing we cant handle.  I will look for that group and get myself educated on Turmeric before I do anything as his innards can be easily upset so its a balancing act these days.

Cathy
Cathy
Belle my Angel 22-09-09
Hamish latest addition

Offline Mudmagnets

• Site Member
  • My boys
« Reply #34 on: April 13, 2014, 06:50:47 PM »
If you're on Facebook there's a useful group called the Turmeric User's Group, set up by an Ozzie vet.

Wouldn't be the Bondi Vet, would it  :luv: :004: will join tomorrow if so :lol:
Remembering Smudge 23/11/2006 - 3/8/2013, and Branston 30/8/14 - 28/10/22 both now at the Bridge.

Offline catcmartin

• Site Member
  • Hamish
« Reply #35 on: April 13, 2014, 07:08:52 PM »
Thanks I have found the group on FB and asked to join.
Cathy
Cathy
Belle my Angel 22-09-09
Hamish latest addition

Offline elaine.e

• Sweet William
« Reply #36 on: April 13, 2014, 07:19:58 PM »

Sorry no Irene (and I think I read somewhere that the Bondi vet is gay) ph34r

Offline Mudmagnets

• Site Member
  • My boys
« Reply #37 on: April 13, 2014, 07:22:55 PM »

Sorry no Irene (and I think I read somewhere that the Bondi vet is gay) ph34r

:'(
Remembering Smudge 23/11/2006 - 3/8/2013, and Branston 30/8/14 - 28/10/22 both now at the Bridge.

Offline LurcherGirl

• Site Member
    • Wagging Tails Dog Training
« Reply #38 on: April 15, 2014, 03:38:24 PM »
I use the turmeric on its own, though my vegan dog does happen to have coconut oil at the same time and my other dog either salmon or coconut oil. I have never added pepper and can't find why we should - other than some people saying so.  :005:
Vera Marney
BSc (Hons) Canine Behaviour and Training, APDT UK
www.wtdt.co.uk and www.wtdt-eastanglia.co.uk

Offline elaine.e

• Sweet William
« Reply #39 on: April 15, 2014, 03:43:21 PM »
I use the turmeric on its own, though my vegan dog does happen to have coconut oil at the same time and my other dog either salmon or coconut oil. I have never added pepper and can't find why we should - other than some people saying so.  :005:

I'll try and find the link and the reason and post it :D

Offline JanineH

« Reply #40 on: April 25, 2014, 08:55:19 PM »
We've been trying Alf on the turmeric but he just doesn't like the taste. So much so that he was refusing to eat.

Went back to the vet yesterday to find out whether he can stay on the Onsior indefinitely. The answer was 'yes' but we were offered a new drug which apparently is giving good results.

It's called Trocoxil and is given monthly instead of daily. Initial dose is one tablet followed by another after 2 weeks and then monthly after that. So much easier than trying to time a daily tablet an hour before his meal!

Alf's still bouncing around like a two year old but without the limp! I'll report back in a while.

Offline carol pearson

« Reply #41 on: April 26, 2014, 07:04:02 PM »
I also tried Ozzy on just the turmeric a few months ago and he would not eat.
But I have now joined the Turmeric User Group on FB and they recommend that the turmeric should be combined with coconut oil and black pepper.
This is only the second day but he does not notice it in his food, although I am only using a very small amount to start and will build up slowly to make sure it does not upset his sensitive tummy.
I am probably not using enough at the moment for him to have any benefit but I would rather start slow.
I am also trying it myself.

There is a lot of information on the FB group.

Offline Max X 2

• Site Member
« Reply #42 on: April 26, 2014, 09:56:31 PM »
My friend has just started her dog on trocoxil

Harry has been having turmeric for a while - I tend to buy capsules & just put it in his food with coconut oil & ground pepper - with Max I have to wrap the capsule in the coconut oil
Harry went about a week without it, but then when he had off lead or agility he went lame. 
He went back on it yesterday so will assess over the next couple of weeks to see if I think it was because of the lack of turmeric

But I also had to start giving Riaflex as couldn't get hold of Cetyl-M in the UK
Maxine owned by Max & Harry

Offline phoenix

• Donator
« Reply #43 on: April 27, 2014, 10:35:25 PM »
So with a bit of ginger and garlic , we can give them a curry!
RIP Marti  the EPI springer age 12,  and beloved black cocker Bobby, 8 yrs old, too soon, from PLN.
Now owned by TInker, tiny hairy grey poodle/terrier rescue from Greece and Jack, local rescue,   scruffy ginger terrier mutt.

Offline zenon_bass

« Reply #44 on: August 01, 2014, 08:01:06 PM »
Thanks everyone!  I've been absorbing your comments with great interest and I think they're a help to relieving Millie's limp and shoulder pain.
The locum vet wants to see her on another matter on Monday and I shall print some of the recommendations and ask for his comments.  He seemed willing to discuss things rather than dismiss a worried owner...
Millie will be 13 in 13 days time...