Author Topic: Dilemma with Ben  (Read 1020 times)

Offline Ben's mum

• Donator
Dilemma with Ben
« on: July 30, 2014, 08:34:42 PM »
Ben is 11, but doesn't seem to realise it  ;) he runs and runs, chucks himself about like a loon and generally has a ball when he is out.
My problem is that I have noticed he is struggling more with being stiff in his back towards the end of the day. He injured himself doing agility years and years ago, and since then has occasional bouts of stiffness which after rest disappear. I also have metacam in incase he is uncomfortable.

I realise as he gets older this will become a problem, so we have changed his walks, less hill walking and choose flatter ground, he struggles now on uneven ground. He takes glucosamine, and he is a perfect weight to minimise any pressure on his joints. So I am as careful as possible. My dilemma is that he is mostly off lead when out, and he is a typical cocker, running, rooting around jumping into whatever water he can find so physically very active. If I put him on the lead or long line to try to stop him doing as much he is just downright miserable, and the walk is no pleasure particularly for him.

At the moment he is not bad enough for me to know what to do. if he was really struggling it would be easy to decide to lead walk him more, but it is more of a niggle and I don't want to impact on his quality of life before I have to, but alternatively knowing he might be stiff later in the day, can I let him charge around  :dunno:

I know many of you have dogs with back problems, I would be really pleased for your thoughts about quality of life vs keeping them comfortable. Perhaps I am worrying too much, but it's hard when you are trying to make decisions that are not clear cut and just want to do what's best.

Offline lexi

• Site Member
    • Spaniel Photos
Re: Dilemma with Ben
« Reply #1 on: July 30, 2014, 10:04:10 PM »
Acupuncture worked wonders for one of our previous Cockers.
You have to be careful with administering Metacam as, with it, your dog will be pain free and may tend to overexert himself.
I know you won't want to hear this but probably you should try to get him used to walking more often on lead. In the long run it will be beneficial  ;)
"Always be a little kinder than necessary." J.M. Barrie
Lexi, Mac, Shadow & Galak (with Holly & Byron in our hearts)

Offline elaine.e

• Sweet William
« Reply #2 on: July 30, 2014, 10:08:13 PM »
I think it's a very personal decision, especially as you know your dog best so are best placed to know what makes him happy. But dogs are amazingly accepting of what we ask of them, so don't worry too much about making changes to his routine as time goes on. I think you may be pleasantly surprised at how he adapts. Then once those changes have become part of his routine he'll just get on with them.

To give an example, a friend's working Cocker has had horrendous joint problems since he was young. He's 11 now and a lot of his exercise has been on lead for many years but always with off lead spells at rabbit warrens. They are his favourite places and he gets so much mental stimulation and pleasure in 10 minutes of sniffing in rabbit holes that he's then very relaxed about being back on lead until the next rabbit warren. His owners work from home a lot, so I'm sure it helps that he has company most of the time, but he's a really happy dog and when they made the decision to limit his exercise, many years ago, he just adapted to it really quickly.

William is a year younger than Ben and was diagnosed with lumbosacral disc damage 5 years ago. He's still very active, although has never liked swimming, so that's one thing I don't have to worry about. I do some of the same things as you - no walking in hilly areas, keeping him slim, glucosamine and chondroitin etc. I also don't allow him upstairs and I tend to do most of our walking in one or two familiar places now, so he doesn't get too excited and charge about like a lunatic.

I've noticed he trots rather than runs if he has a tennis ball in his mouth so I encourage him to carry one (I don't throw it, just let him carry it) because it slows him down a bit. If he doesn't want to carry a tennis ball I put him back on lead for a few minutes every so often to slow him down. He didn't like it at first but has now accepted it as part of his routine. He likes rabbit warrens and he likes using his nose to find hidden treats so we sometimes stop at a rabbit warren for several minutes to keep him amused or play a couple of scent games. That all helps to keep his walks interesting without him overdoing  things.

William also has acupuncture every 8 weeks or so. I was a bit sceptical at first but thought it was worth a try. The acupuncturist is a vet and during each session she tells me exactly what she's finding as she examines him and then sticks needles in him! It's fascinating for me because sometimes I will have noticed that he's been a bit stiff in a particular area and she always finds exactly that when she examines him and treats him. She also often finds other sore spots and treats them. William is noticeably more supple afterwards and I'm no longer sceptical. So it might be worth considering it for Ben.

I've just read lexi's post now, having typed my usual essay  :005: and she's said pretty much what I wanted to but with fewer words!

Offline rednblack

« Reply #3 on: July 31, 2014, 08:41:23 AM »
Since Ben enjoys swimming, have you considered hydrotherapy?  http://www.canine-hydrotherapy.org/  Some pools are big enough for dogs to swim around as well as having the benefits of a hydrotherapist, or offer "fun swims".  That way he would have vigorous exercise he enjoys without putting pressure on his joints, while strengthening the muscles in his back.
Remembering Rex, Janna, Toni, Billy, Rufus and Ebony - gone beyond recall.

Offline Ben's mum

• Donator
« Reply #4 on: August 10, 2014, 11:51:29 AM »
Thanks all for your replies, it has taken me a while to come back to this as  you told me what I really didn't want to hear  ph34r  but they were the replies I was expecting. The acupuncture looks like a good idea so will investigate what we have locally.

I am just struggling with Ben showing some signs of his age. I know that I am really lucky he is so well, especially in light of so many poorly cockers on here recently, and I should be just grateful that his is ok.  I know I should be enjoying him now and stop worrying about his age, that is for the future. I am a counsellor for goodness sake and spend a lot of time helping others to deal with the here and now and trying to get emotions in perspective, but doing for myself is very different  >:(
My parents tell me I worry more about Ben than I do them and all their old age aches and pains  ;)

Ben has slowed down this summer for the first time and sleeps a little more than he used to and I guess I just expected him to be my nutty energetic bouncy boy forever.  I will take your thoughts on board, perhaps it's me struggling with the idea of changing Bens walks not him  ph34r and you are probably right Ben will take it all in his stride.

Thanks again  :luv:

Offline MaggieR

• Donator
« Reply #5 on: August 10, 2014, 12:00:31 PM »
Its a really hard decision but you know whats best for Ben - sounds like Elaines friend has managed to compromise nicely with her boy, lead & fun at the rabbit warren etc. 
I can also vouch for acupuncture/hydrotherapy - Maggie has a combination of the two and it works really well for her.  Other things we do to keep her loose/relaxed - warm bath when she's been in cold water/running loads - just to help the muscles relax again. Warm pads placed along her back etc and gentle massage while she's laid with me. 
Lisa & Maggie x

One reason a dog can be such a comfort when you're feeling blue is that he doesn't try to find out why.  ~Author Unknown

Offline Mudmagnets

• Site Member
  • My boys
« Reply #6 on: August 10, 2014, 12:22:27 PM »
Haven't comment, cos I don't know the answers, but I would like to wish Ben well and hope you find  a solution to help him.
Remembering Smudge 23/11/2006 - 3/8/2013, and Branston 30/8/14 - 28/10/22 both now at the Bridge.

Offline lexi

• Site Member
    • Spaniel Photos
« Reply #7 on: August 10, 2014, 09:04:38 PM »
I've just read lexi's post now, having typed my usual essay  :005: and she's said pretty much what I wanted to but with fewer words!
:005: ;)
Just wanted to add that the acupuncture on our previous Cocker was done by a vet.

"Always be a little kinder than necessary." J.M. Barrie
Lexi, Mac, Shadow & Galak (with Holly & Byron in our hearts)