Author Topic: William's eyes and the tale of the funny smell.  (Read 3444 times)

Offline elaine.e

• Sweet William
William's eyes and the tale of the funny smell.
« on: January 28, 2015, 07:59:39 PM »
William has Dry Eye and cataracts, both diagnosed some years ago and has his eyes checked every 6 months by veterinary ophthalmologist Kate. It's not my regular vet practice and is in a different area of the New Forest to where I usually walk, so we have a morning out with coffee and cake after seeing the vet, followed by a walk in that part of the Forest.

William's eye conditions are no worse and there's no sign of PRA, so hopefully that worry is over now that he's almost 11. So good news deserving of a cup of coffee and a scone :D

William's anal glands needed emptying, so Kate did that too. It wasn't until I was sitting in the coffee shop at Fairweather's Garden Centre that I became aware of a faint but distinctively evil smell somewhere in my vicinity. I then realised that a drop of something horrible was on my right sleeve. Yep, you can guess what it was :o. Thank goodness nobody was sat near me, or perhaps that's the reason nobody was sat near me :005:

I was especially pleased that William's cataracts are no worse. Kate describes his vision as being like that of a person permanently wearing scratched sunglasses. It doesn't seem to worry or hinder him though. The cataracts aren't at a stage where they need surgery and haven't changed for several years. Kate thinks there's still potential for them to worsen, which will mean surgery, but we'll cross that bridge if and when needed.

Offline Ben's mum

• Donator
Re: William's eyes and the tale of the funny smell.
« Reply #1 on: January 29, 2015, 12:03:40 AM »
So pleased to hear Williams cataracts have not worsened that is such good news  :clapping:

Must have been a cafe full of non doggy people  ;) Just think if it had been full of col members once they caught the 'scent' there would have been full on, eye wateringly descriptive discussions about full glands, causes and solutions, just what you want with coffee and cake  :005: 

Offline twiceover2

• Donator
« Reply #2 on: January 29, 2015, 06:30:01 AM »
Urrgh, that smell - like nothing else on earth. 

Glad to hear William's eyes aren't any worse.  Our griffon Louis who we adopted in November has cataracts on both eyes.  He's 10.  For some reason, I thought cataracts in dogs weren't operated on but after reading your post, I'm going to ask the vet about it next time we're there.

Offline elaine.e

• Sweet William
« Reply #3 on: January 29, 2015, 07:54:07 AM »
Urrgh, that smell - like nothing else on earth. 

Glad to hear William's eyes aren't any worse.  Our griffon Louis who we adopted in November has cataracts on both eyes.  He's 10.  For some reason, I thought cataracts in dogs weren't operated on but after reading your post, I'm going to ask the vet about it next time we're there.

I'm not sure that all cataracts are operable. When William's were diagnosed the ophthalmologist told me that if they developed and reached a certain stage, which she described as the cataracts having "ripened", surgery would be the solution. I don't know if that applies to all cataracts or not, but I think if they reach a certain point they become inoperable. Not sure though.

Offline Jane57

• Donator
  • Riley
« Reply #4 on: January 29, 2015, 03:54:26 PM »
Good news Elaine, then again they might just stay as they are and not worsen.
That smell is unmistakable.  As a child our springer had anal gland problems and to this day my nostrils remain scarred and can detect at 100 yards . ph34r