Author Topic: Ben's mystery illness  (Read 5188 times)

Offline Ben's mum

• Donator
Ben's mystery illness
« on: February 18, 2015, 08:29:17 PM »
Had a fright today, Ben hasn't been himself for a couple of months now, just a few little bits and pieces, but this morning OH called me at work to say he found Ben standing at the top of the stairs all hunched as if in pain and shaking. He was also just staring vacantly.

My lovely vet got him in straight away, and by the time I got him to the vet he was standing hunched with his head and neck lowered, his chin almost touching the floor, just shaking slightly.

I had to leave him and she has done everything, bloods, urine samples, full neurological tests, checked joints, spine, eyes, etc etc. she said just once when she was doing a neurological check on his left side he failed to return his foot properly to the correct position straight away, she called in the senior vet to look and by then Ben had put his foot right and was all ok when checked again.  She said he had a poor response to light in his left eye, but that could be age related.  He was there several hours and by the time I picked him up he was almost back to normal and they are baffled.  :dunno:  she said he is actually in really good shape for his age and kidney and liver function excellent etc.  She doesn't think it was a stroke or epilepsy.

Something very similar happened on Christmas Day, but not as bad, and then they put it down to arthritis and a painful spasm, but she said today his joints were moving ok, and he didn't seem to be stuggling with muscles. He had a metacam injection anyway in case he is in pain, but I am none the wiser.

I don't suppose anyone has any ideas or seen anything similar? He has been drinking and weeing a lot as I have said before, but infections and diabetes etc have been ruled out, all is tip top there.  I have to take him back in a week for a check up, but he is looking remarkably healthy now, and it's a struggle to keep him from rushing around.

Sorry for the long post, but I hate not knowing what is going on, my vets are brilliant, but have to admit to being  baffled.  It's been a tough week, my mums dog Molly died unexpectedly on Monday from liver failure with no warning signs, so feeling a bit fragile at the moment.

Offline MIN

• GEMMA
Re: Ben's mystery illness
« Reply #1 on: February 18, 2015, 09:09:05 PM »
do you think he might have had a slight stroke. sending him  :bigarmhug: :bigarmhug:
sorry to hear about your mums Molly
Run free and fly high my beautiful Gemma
2011 - 2023 

----

Offline Countrygirl

• Donator
    • Countrygirl
« Reply #2 on: February 18, 2015, 09:20:18 PM »
Hope Ben is alright and whatever was the matter has gone away.

So very sorry to hear the sad news about Molly.  Thinking of your mum.

Offline elaine.e

• Sweet William
« Reply #3 on: February 18, 2015, 10:32:40 PM »
What a worry, especially with no diagnosis. A neighbour's Cocker, Oscar, who is about 10, recently had a bout of Idiopathic Vestibular Syndrome. His symptoms lasted for several days but sounded quite similar to Ben's from what his owner told me. However, I've just googled it and the articles I've looked at make it seem less likely than I thought it might be when told Oscar's symptoms. Here's a link anyway, in case it rings any bells with you http://www.thebark.com/content/idiopathic-or-old-dog-vestibular-disease

I'm sorry to hear about your mum's dog Molly, and hope that Ben doesn't have any more episodes :bigarmhug:

Offline Penelope

• Site Member
« Reply #4 on: February 19, 2015, 03:56:09 AM »
So sorry to hear about your mum's dog.   :bigarmhug: :bigarmhug: :bigarmhug:

Very worrying not to find a cause for Ben's illness, but at the same time, hopefully no news is good news.
If your vet couldn't find anything specific then at least he has ruled out lots of horrible things.  Maybe he was just feeling his age and feeling a bit down and maybe sore with joints etc?  I know I sometimes feel old and creaky!! Perhaps he was too, but then perked up after a while?

I won't tell you not to worry, but at the same time, the longer he goes without it happening again, you can begin to relax a bit.
Give him a gentle squish from us.

Take care.   :bigarmhug: :bigarmhug: :bigarmhug:
Penny,   Dexter (cavalier x poodle), Alfie (Whippet cross)  and  Maximus the cocker spaniel!!

RIP my 2 most gorgeous cocker girls - Buffy and Harriet - both waiting for me at the bridge. Joined by my beloved Josie taken too soon and Suki aged 13 :(

Offline Emilyoliver

« Reply #5 on: February 19, 2015, 06:27:47 AM »
Sorry to hear about Ben. Could it be disc/ nerve related? One of my dogs has bulging discs and years ago the one in his neck manifested as extreme pain, but very intermittently. Similarly with the others further down. My vet was nonplused. Took an MRI to diagnose the problem.
Michelle, Emily and Ollie

Offline rubybella

« Reply #6 on: February 19, 2015, 08:18:18 AM »
My first thought would be spinal problems. Unfortunately an X-ray won't necessarily pick up all spinal issues and an MRI would would be needed to look in more detail. I would probably go down xray route first if he was my dog.
Hope this helps.

Offline Jaysmumagain

• Donator
« Reply #7 on: February 19, 2015, 11:36:25 AM »
So sorry to hear of Ben's illness, hope things settle, had a westie who had spinal problems, he had a scan which showed a fragment splinter, he coped well for many years, but could not manage stairs well.

Sending :bigarmhug:

Julie
Cocker kisses and cuddles just make my day!

You are always with me darlings Jaypup and my precious Oliver you are so missed

Offline Mudmagnets

• Site Member
  • My boys
« Reply #8 on: February 19, 2015, 11:45:56 PM »
Just adding my good wishes for Ben, hope it is nothing too serious  :luv:
Remembering Smudge 23/11/2006 - 3/8/2013, and Branston 30/8/14 - 28/10/22 both now at the Bridge.

Offline Liz F

• Donator
« Reply #9 on: February 20, 2015, 06:37:52 PM »
Hope Bens feeling better  :luv:

Liz, Olli & Diesel xx

Offline Sheryl

• Donator
« Reply #10 on: February 21, 2015, 04:00:37 PM »
The foot not returning to its natural position (proprioception test) is indicative of a disc protrusion, both back feet were affected in Lylas case....but it could just as easily be something else. Lylas disc meant she couldn't put her head down to eat but she did hunch her back. People are right that an x ray wouldn't show as much as an MRI but there is also a dye injection which is what Lyla had. Wouldn't do any harm to follow the protocols for a disc problem as it's only Metacam and rest (no jumping or running up and down stairs) to give it time to pop back down and you are probably going to do that anyway! Hope you get to the bottom of it soon x. 
Sheryl, Holly, Kali, Baby Lyla and Angel Chloe

Offline Ben's mum

• Donator
« Reply #11 on: February 21, 2015, 10:01:46 PM »
Thanks everyone for the good wishes. It's been a nightmare keeping Ben from rushing about.
When I go back to the vet next week I will ask her about scans, I would like to know what is going on.

Elaine thanks for the info, although some of it doesn't fit, some of it does. I also noticed when he is at his worst his back legs were splayed and braced as if he was dizzy, as a vertigo sufferer staring at one spot also makes sense, although he wasn't particually unsteady when he walked.  I will also mention it to my vet, I am lucky ours are great and encourage questions and self research, so she probably knows I will come back with a stack of questions.

Just to finish the week off nicely after Molly and Ben, Harry bit me really badly on the hand, and now I can't write or do anything with a badly swollen and bandaged left hand (I am left handed).  It wasn't his fault, he was leaping around like a nutter and about to barge into Ben, so I put my hand in front of him, and even now after all this time with us, he is still hand shy and we are normally so careful about how we handle him but with everything else I forgot and he just panicked and bit me. He has bitten me before, but not this deeply, I have lost a whole chunk of hand, and it hurts a lot!  But like I said not his fault, it's just the timing. Roll on next week  :D

Offline Penelope

• Site Member
« Reply #12 on: February 22, 2015, 04:49:20 AM »
Hope you get some good news at the vet.  So sorry about your hand.  Hope your tetanus jabs are up to date?  ;)
Hibiscrub is pretty good if it needs soaking.
Keep us posted on how he gets on.
Penny,   Dexter (cavalier x poodle), Alfie (Whippet cross)  and  Maximus the cocker spaniel!!

RIP my 2 most gorgeous cocker girls - Buffy and Harriet - both waiting for me at the bridge. Joined by my beloved Josie taken too soon and Suki aged 13 :(

Offline Ben's mum

• Donator
« Reply #13 on: February 22, 2015, 02:21:05 PM »
Hope you get some good news at the vet.  So sorry about your hand.  Hope your tetanus jabs are up to date?  ;)

Thanks Penny, fortunately my tetanus is up to date from last time he bit me  :005: