Author Topic: cold laser therapy  (Read 2566 times)

Offline carol pearson

cold laser therapy
« on: May 16, 2015, 07:43:41 AM »
Ozzy age 10 has arthritis in all his legs and is already on various supplements also tried acupuncture a while ago which did help. He had about 6 sessions and then one of the needles really hurt him so it was just impossible after that. But he has been ok with short walks.
About 12 months ago he hurt his left shoulder, I did not see this happen as I was upstairs but assume he came running in from outside and slipped on laminate floor. We had carpet runners at the time but know have fitted carpet throughout. With pain relief and rest he seemed to have completely recovered but this last 3 months it is really sore and he has started limping. I have had to give him metacam but do not want hiim to stay on this long term.
I started looking into cold laser therapy because it is non-invasive and found someone local who does home visits.
The first 2 sessions she was here about 2 hours and only managed laser contact for a couple of minutes. Because of his experience with the acupuncture he was not very trusting and would not keep still. She tried really hard to gain his trust and used lots of treats. We had success on the third visit after about 30 minutes and she managed a 10 minute treatment. Hopefully it will be easier from now on. I am willing to try anything to take him of the metacam

Has anyone else tried laser therapy or heard of any success stories. It seems to be used on horses with a lot of success and humans.

Offline elaine.e

• Sweet William
Re: cold laser therapy
« Reply #1 on: May 16, 2015, 07:52:19 AM »
I haven't heard of it, but we own a racehorse and I'll be seeing him tomorrow, so I'll ask his trainer about it.

Have you thought about "golden paste", which is a paste made with Turmeric that a lot of people, dog owners and horse owners use for arthritis and other conditions? There is a Facebook group called Turmeric User Group, which was set up by a vet a few years ago.

William continues to have acupuncture every 8 weeks and it definitely puts a spring in his step. He's very good about it but sometimes one of the needles will be uncomfortable for him, so I can understand Ozzy not liking it.

Offline carol pearson

« Reply #2 on: May 16, 2015, 06:10:12 PM »
Hello Elaine, yes I joined the turmeric group about 6 months ago. The paste has coconut oil and black pepper. Apparently the black pepper makes it a lot more effective but guess what, it makes Ozzy vomit even the tiniest amount. He still has the paste without, and I have been told by the group to give him small amounts throughout the day which I do but not sure how effective it is for him. Although I take it myself and it has helped my arthritic knees.

I am really pleased William is still doing well. I am upset we had to stop the acupuncture but it was really making Ozzy very stressed after that one needle. He just doesn't forget. I am hoping we can carry on with the laser therapy he did settle in the third session,  I think he realised it was not going to hurt him.

Would be interested to know if your trainer has heard of the laser therapy. Thank you.
i

Offline zenon_bass

« Reply #3 on: May 16, 2015, 08:02:00 PM »
I'll be interested to know of the laser therapy too, for Millie.
She's on Trocoxil for pain relief, and the advice Ive read is not to use turmeric with it... Either one or the other...
She's having Yumove and greenlipped mussel too. Also fish oil.

Offline carol pearson

« Reply #4 on: May 17, 2015, 05:13:48 PM »
Yes  I have stopped the turmeric while he is taking metacam but their is conflicting advice about if the two can be taken together.
Will certainly update if we see an an improvement.