Author Topic: Fleas!  (Read 2891 times)

Offline SAM -BOB

Fleas!
« on: June 02, 2015, 10:37:49 PM »
Sam is 12 years old and this is the first time he has had fleas!  Came in from work today Sam greeted me but wasn't himself, rolled over for a belly tickle and I saw all these red things crawling all over him, which I realised were fleas. I've pit advantage flea treatment on him, how long before all these nasty things are gone, and how do I know.  Do I have to then bath him.  I have also got rid of his bedding can't bear the thought that being infested too.  Any suggestions greatly accepted as how to deal with this.

Offline Pearly

• Donator
  • Pearl, Coral, Sally, Purdey and Kukri
Re: Fleas!
« Reply #1 on: June 02, 2015, 10:53:49 PM »
If they were tiny red critters it's more likely they are mites  :huh: fleas are quite big (scarily so!) and black, they also jump rather than crawl.....depending on which treatment you've used you may be ok (some will treat for mites also).  Failing that you may prefer to pop to the vets for an alternative treatment.  It is early in the season for mites - happy to be corrected if I'm wrong as it's been a while since I saw a flea  ;)

Hope Sam is ok,

Jayne
X

Offline PennyB

« Reply #2 on: June 02, 2015, 11:48:56 PM »
One of my cats came in one night covered in them but turned out they were chicken mites (red mites)
Friends of Hailey Park
Four Paws Animal Rescue (South Wales)

Cockers are just hooligans in cute clothing!

Offline PennyB

« Reply #3 on: June 02, 2015, 11:52:09 PM »
If they are fleas then I suggest trying Capstar tablets as they will kill them all really quickly if on the dog

http://www.animeddirect.co.uk/capstar-tablets-for-medium-and-large-dogs-6-tablets.html

they also do them for smaller dogs
Friends of Hailey Park
Four Paws Animal Rescue (South Wales)

Cockers are just hooligans in cute clothing!

Offline elaine.e

• Sweet William
« Reply #4 on: June 03, 2015, 07:54:12 AM »
If they're fleas you're best to treat the whole house as well as Sam. Indorex spray is very good. Follow the instructions carefully, making sure you spray gaps under skirting boards etc. as well as the more obvious places.

I haven't used any flea preventatives for years, but a couple of years ago I found just one flea on Louis and took action immediately by treating both dogs with Practic and the house with Indorex. Haven't seen a flea since!

Offline julie1

• Julie & Kez
« Reply #5 on: June 03, 2015, 09:48:46 AM »
One of my cats came in one night covered in them but turned out they were chicken mites (red mites)

I was also going to suggest "chickens"
regards from Julie & Kez

Offline Toofast

« Reply #6 on: June 03, 2015, 03:50:00 PM »
If we have flea problems I always find the little critters around the tummy button and down the hair line of the back legs, but within seconds of the dog going onto its back the little buggers disperse and scuttle onto hair parts where they are difficult to find!!!

I will either use Advantix or Effipro, these both work well for me. I do find that the correct amount of Effipro/body weight of dog is essential and it must dampen the coat and be well rubbed in down to the skin, (not so easy on a thick long coated dog though ) and don't forget the tummy and inside of back legs.

I used to work on a large poultry farm and ocasionally when the units were being cleaned out my cocker spaniel would come home covered in the red mite that had been disturbed due to the movement of the poultry and general disturbance of the buildings being cleaned out.
I don't remember them as being very fast movers and they never wanted to stay on the dog for too long as she was not the correct host for them.