Author Topic: help and advice needed  (Read 5391 times)

Offline MIN

• GEMMA
Re: help and advice needed
« Reply #15 on: January 05, 2016, 10:03:40 PM »
Afraid I hide tablets in cheese, then tease until the dog dribbles, then I give it to them. Guaranteed to go down in one  ;)
Run free and fly high my beautiful Gemma
2011 - 2023 

----

Offline Archie bean

• Donator
  • Archie. RIP bridge babies Sherwood and Dickon.
    • Emma Graham Harpist
« Reply #16 on: January 05, 2016, 10:07:46 PM »
The best advice I was given really works for Archie, who is a nightmare with pills! I use three pieces of cheese. One has the pill in it. Give the first, empty treat, immediately followed by the second, containing the pill and again immediately follow that with the third. The dog is not suspicious of he second because the first is fine and pays no attention to the second because they are focused on getting the third.

Offline waggytails

• Millie and Hattie
« Reply #17 on: January 06, 2016, 07:52:39 AM »
Someone on here years ago told me to use cheese or ham, wrap the tablet and drop it on the floor, as most cockers are greedy and think there getting something there not ment to have. It worked for a while. Just make sure there are no more dogs around when you try it.
Mum to Hattie and Darcy

(Millie now forever playing on the beach,  RIP 06/03/2010)

Offline Jaysmumagain

• Donator
« Reply #18 on: January 06, 2016, 11:29:28 AM »
Years ago (too many to admit) worked in vets and he always advised fish or meat paste, with Ollie it's a slice of sausage then another slice with pill in.

All the best Julie
Cocker kisses and cuddles just make my day!

You are always with me darlings Jaypup and my precious Oliver you are so missed

Offline aljeana

• Mollie Magpie
« Reply #19 on: January 06, 2016, 06:40:24 PM »
We had this problem with Rosie who sadly we had to say goodbye to a couple of weeks ago but what we found worked quite well was cut a cocktail sausage in half stuff tablet inside we then gave it to Rosie then followed with the other half straight away so she had to swallow the first so she could eat the 2nd piece
Aljeana & the Baddley Pack

Offline Murphys Law

« Reply #20 on: January 06, 2016, 07:11:01 PM »
Someone on here years ago told me to use cheese or ham, wrap the tablet and drop it on the floor, as most cockers are greedy and think there getting something there not ment to have. It worked for a while. Just make sure there are no more dogs around when you try it.

We used this method a few times with our old Cavalier. It even helped if we pretended to try and pick it up. The piece of sausage would be gobbled down in an instant.

Offline bizzylizzy

• Donator
  • 🙂 Jayne
« Reply #21 on: January 06, 2016, 07:41:29 PM »
Hope I won't be jumped on for this, (!), but I was advises by a vet, many many years ago, to apply slight pressure either side of the jaw with finger and thumb and their mouths will automatically open, - drop the tablet on the back of the tongue and then rub the front of their necks gently to make them swallow. It sounds a bit hamfisted, but it always worked with both my previous dogs and neither of them seemed particularly bothered by it. (Although, admittedly, neither of them were cockers!!!! ;) )

Offline daydreams

• Site Member
« Reply #22 on: January 06, 2016, 09:48:22 PM »
well,...... I think I got somewhere today, hid said vivitonin in soft liver cake,  gave her un-doctored one,  and put a few pieces on the floor with doctored one amongst them,  she looked at me,  ;)as if to say I know what your up to, BUT  after her picking up the pieces, licking them and putting them down, way hay,  she actually took it and swallowed it
( amazing how these little things mean so much :005:)

I have tried putting tablet in mouth and stroking her throat to help her swallow, but she does get distressed , I think it has got worse as she has got older, so I'm trying to be sneaky

still on shopping list is squishy cheese, pate and peanut butter.  by hook or by crook,  we'll get there so that she takes them without getting upset
on a positive note,  she just shows me what a lot of strength and fight she still has despite being 14 yrs old!

thank you so much for all your replies
you really are a wonderful lot on COL

Offline bizzylizzy

• Donator
  • 🙂 Jayne
« Reply #23 on: January 07, 2016, 07:09:13 AM »
Ah, bless her, she's sounds amazing. Best of luck and all the best to Bracken! 😊

Offline zenon_bass

« Reply #24 on: January 08, 2016, 09:10:36 PM »
My sympathies to you...
I'm having to give Millie daily painkillers and was dreading the battle: she's previously had a monthly Trocoxil which isnt currently available.
Millie, I swear, is the worlds best spitter outer: however all seems to be well! I bought a small tub of Wainwrights from P@H and the tablets go into a wedge cut from it.
Probably the key for her is the wedge shape, with the fattest tablet containing end in first. She does munch, but not as much as if it was a cube...
One month on, not one reject, yet.  :005:

Good luck to you and Bracken!

Offline julie1

• Julie & Kez
« Reply #25 on: January 09, 2016, 10:45:23 AM »
The usual "Primula cheese" works for everything from coat grooming to tablet taking.  :lol2:
regards from Julie & Kez

Offline daw

« Reply #26 on: January 09, 2016, 12:31:26 PM »
Have tried just a smear of Bovril on whatever you're offering the pill in? Obviously it's salty so wouldn't want more than a trace but it does have a very strong flavour. (I'm a veggie and can't stand to be near an open jar of the stuff!)

Offline PennyB

« Reply #27 on: January 10, 2016, 12:16:55 PM »
cream cheese is good too - I use the low fat stuff either philadelphia or whatever supermarket version is
Friends of Hailey Park
Four Paws Animal Rescue (South Wales)

Cockers are just hooligans in cute clothing!

Offline daydreams

• Site Member
« Reply #28 on: January 10, 2016, 03:00:18 PM »
update on continuing battle with tablets for Bracken
she is truly a suspicious little cocker ;)

I tried the tube cheese, at first on my finger,   no way,  she looked at me as if to say ' you're kidding, did eventually come and have a lick, but was undoubtedly cagey.  tried said cheese on a little biscuit,  put it down for her to take, again I get the look  ;) I pick up said biscuits with cheese later that evening at place in bin :lol2:

pate, a little more success, she did have tablet hidden in pate and although suspicious, did take a piece, and I thought great, but next time, she gave me the look and  pate is looked at with great suspicion , bin was the winner again

I haven't tried the peanut butter, I will try that later if pate doesn't succeed
she has given me so many laughs and smiles over the years, and with the looks and behaviour she shows when I try and give her a tablet she continues to do so
I have stopped putting tabs in mouth, as it distressed her so much,  so I have to give by subterfuge, and I know its on a hit and miss basis but as long as she doesn't seem in pain or distressed, i'm happy

thanks for all your helpful tips and ideas, I do appreciate them