Author Topic: Wilf's platelets are dropping again *Sad Update*  (Read 11692 times)

Offline PennyB

Wilf's platelets are dropping again *Sad Update*
« on: January 08, 2016, 02:28:37 AM »
Wilf isn't well - his demeanour is OK but things like his breathing isn't brilliant and he's struggling to walk far.

Initially we thought his heart murmur may be needed tablets now but both my vet and I felt there was something else, so before she prescribed anything she checked his bloods but while their blood machine only spewed out 2 results it suggested his platelets were low. Another blood test was taken while I was there (he's such a good boy as he didn't mind at all) and were sent off - bloods back tomorrow

No signs of any infection at all so am hoping we've missed something and it is still just IMTP again - he had an episode 2 years ago - and not something else like lymphoma

So so fed up - I lost Ruby last year then Ollie my cat 2 days before Christmas, Wilf & Stella had gastro bug over christmas that needed vet treatment, Lady's hip is out, Stella has a fatty lump that my vet feels may need removing as its growing into the muscle and Bosley needed a cataract op last year even though he's only 2 - its not as if I need any more bad luck

True Wilf is 12 so getting older but so so sad at the prospect of losing him so soon (the treatment for the IMTP could also kill him but at least he has a better chance with that than lymphoma) - he's been my 'laughing boy' (he always looks as if he is anyway) for as long as I can remember

My vet put him on steroids tonight as I was worried last night he might collapse
Friends of Hailey Park
Four Paws Animal Rescue (South Wales)

Cockers are just hooligans in cute clothing!

Offline elaine.e

• Sweet William
Re: Wilf's platelets are dropping again
« Reply #1 on: January 08, 2016, 07:52:26 AM »
Sorry to hear that Penny :bigarmhug:

I hope the steroids help Wilf to feel better until you find out for sure what's going on, and that when you get a full diagnosis it's a good one xx

Where's Stella's fatty lump? William, who's 11, had a golf ball sized one removed a few months ago. It was next to his penis and growing rapidly so I opted to have it removed before it started interfering with his waterworks and while the surgery was still straightforward. Quite a big wound and several stitches but it healed up really well.

Offline bizzylizzy

• Donator
  • 🙂 Jayne
« Reply #2 on: January 08, 2016, 08:02:09 AM »
Fingers crossed for Wilf, hope its nothing too serious and that the steroids will help. :bigarmhug:

Offline PennyB

« Reply #3 on: January 08, 2016, 08:08:17 AM »
Sorry to hear that Penny :bigarmhug:

I hope the steroids help Wilf to feel better until you find out for sure what's going on, and that when you get a full diagnosis it's a good one xx

Where's Stella's fatty lump? William, who's 11, had a golf ball sized one removed a few months ago. It was next to his penis and growing rapidly so I opted to have it removed before it started interfering with his waterworks and while the surgery was still straightforward. Quite a big wound and several stitches but it healed up really well.

Stella's is right above her elbow but my vet felt that it was growing in rather than out and she's worried it will merge with too much muscle - we're keeping an eye on it for now. We did remove one from Ruby years ago as hers was just below the base of her tail.

Its awful to see Wilf at the moment - he's slumped on the floor as he couldn't be bothered moving after he'd had a drink of water but at least he was eager to have some hills wet food earlier as he doesn't want to chew anything.

Last time he was peeing pure blood but we can't find any indicators (bleeding) at the moment.

While I don't really want to go to Bristol again with him am hoping they can give my vet a head start at least
Friends of Hailey Park

Offline 8 Hairy Feet

• Donator
« Reply #4 on: January 08, 2016, 11:18:37 AM »
Oh Penny what an awful time you
are having at the moment :016:
I send loads of hugs for you and especially
Wilf.
hoping to read some better news :bigarmhug:

Offline Ben's mum

• Donator
« Reply #5 on: January 08, 2016, 11:26:59 AM »
 :bigarmhug: really feel for you.  Keeping everything crossed here that Wilf responds well to the steroids.
Hope there is better news soon  :luv: 

Offline Mudmagnets

• Site Member
  • My boys
« Reply #6 on: January 08, 2016, 11:54:59 AM »
Sorry to hear about Wilf, seems to be one thing after another at the moment for you.

Hope the steroids help Wilf

:bigarmhug: :bigarmhug:
Remembering Smudge 23/11/2006 - 3/8/2013, and Branston 30/8/14 - 28/10/22 both now at the Bridge.

Offline PennyB

« Reply #7 on: January 08, 2016, 02:12:48 PM »
Vets to get back to me re blood panel and more or less confirms what they suggested yesterday but they still need to track someone down at Langford (his previous clinician is no longer there as they've discovered so are waiting back for a call and will call again during afternoon to give them a nudge) - Wilf is pitiful though as he's panting all the time and his respiration rate not good either. She says the bloods come back with biochem but also there's a new marker for kidney disease and she's unsure re this as his creatinine etc. are all within normal levels even though they suggest a smigeon of it

Its going to be a long weekend I feel (particularly as he seems worse at night) - so sad to see this happy chappy who can barely wag his tail or give me his usual toothy grin
Friends of Hailey Park

Offline daw

« Reply #8 on: January 08, 2016, 03:24:36 PM »
Really sorry to hear about Wilf and wish him all that's well and helpful... but also all the others. You seem to have been royally smitten with bad stuff at the moment. I think only those whose lives are closely enmeshed (and given meaning) by the love of animals can understand the pain.     

Offline Liz F

• Donator
« Reply #9 on: January 08, 2016, 05:15:01 PM »
 :bigarmhug: :bigarmhug: for Wilf and you x

Liz, Olli & Diesel xx

Offline PollySpaull

« Reply #10 on: January 08, 2016, 05:28:17 PM »
Poor you and poor wilf :( sending lots of hugs X

Offline Finvarra

• Milo, best of dogs
    • Gaia Art
« Reply #11 on: January 08, 2016, 05:36:46 PM »
I lost three of my scotties in one year, it was a terrible time, so I really feel for you and the sense of dread you must be feeling. Really hoping Wilf pulls through and sending you both hugs  :bigarmhug: :bigarmhug: :bigarmhug:

Lesley and Dylan
Remembering All the dogs of my life, especially Milo

Offline PennyB

« Reply #12 on: January 08, 2016, 05:45:30 PM »
Langford have said they can't say its IMTP 100% as his platelets are that low to be critical - so could be or could be something else - so more bloods on Monday and a urine test then may be see how his platelets are then. I ended up crying on phone when i spoke to vets as I felt so weary
Friends of Hailey Park

Offline Countrygirl

• Donator
    • Countrygirl
« Reply #13 on: January 08, 2016, 06:06:32 PM »
I am so sorry Wilf is poorly, my heart goes out to you.  Hope with all my heart that Wilf improves over the weekend and the results are better on Monday.

Thinking of you both.

Offline PennyB

« Reply #14 on: January 08, 2016, 07:14:16 PM »
Just had to take him down to my vets as an emergency just before they closed to see if he should be transferred to their emergency service. His belly had become swollen over past 3 hours so I was concerned re how urgent it was - he has fluid on his belly so for now has been given a diuretic jab and hope it shifts it overnight but have an appointment to see the other vet tomorrow at my practice
Friends of Hailey Park