Author Topic: Wobbly tooth  (Read 2186 times)

Offline niqnet

• Site Member
Wobbly tooth
« on: April 01, 2016, 09:47:02 PM »
Are wobbly teeth inevitable in an older dog?

Troy is 11 now and has has some teeth removed over the years. Since his first dental I have brushed his teeth every night and tonight noticed one of his little side teeth is wobbly.

Do I need to get him to the vets pronto?

Nicole
Nicole xxxx :-)

Offline elaine.e

• Sweet William
Re: Wobbly tooth
« Reply #1 on: April 02, 2016, 07:59:11 AM »
I would take him to the vets if he was mine, but if it's not worrying him I'd wait until Monday rather than pay the extra for a weekend appointment.

If the tooth is wobbly it possiblly needs to come out, even if it looks OK. Perhaps his gums are receding and that's causing the problem? My almost 12 year old William had to have a canine removed after an attack by another dog left the tooth sticking out at a right angle. A year later he needed the next tooth back removed. The vet wasn't sure if it had been damaged at the same time as the first but showed no signs at the time, or if it had just decayed. Apart from that his teeth are pretty good for his age and as far as I can tell none of them wobble.

Offline Joules

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: April 02, 2016, 08:45:31 AM »
Agree with Elaine, I would take him to the vet next week and get the tooth taken out to avoid the possibility of infection.  If it is loose, they may even be able to just whip it out without a GA  :-\

Not sure if this is inevitable with age, but Coco has had a few teeth removed over the last few years - doesn't stop her trying to eat everything in sight though :005:
Julie and Watson

Offline niqnet

• Site Member
« Reply #3 on: April 02, 2016, 09:32:57 AM »
Thanks both. He's always had bad teeth despite best efforts so I think for him this sort of thing is inevitable. I'll take him in the week.
Nicole xxxx :-)

Offline PennyB

« Reply #4 on: April 03, 2016, 12:23:17 PM »
Not sure if this is inevitable with age, but Coco has had a few teeth removed over the last few years - doesn't stop her trying to eat everything in sight though :005:

Yep - Lady has few teeth left (sadly she has some autoimmune condition responsible) yet she can eat for Wales and she's still on dry food despite her lack of teeth

I would see a vet during the week too. I also have a stock of rimadyl in case I have weekend emergencies when pets need pain relief, which my vets allow me to do and they give me the stock in case
Friends of Hailey Park
Four Paws Animal Rescue (South Wales)

Cockers are just hooligans in cute clothing!

Offline Dog Mad

• Site Member
  • Einstein
« Reply #5 on: April 11, 2016, 04:59:35 PM »
Poor Troy, hope he is OK now and you got his tooth sorted. We have been very lucky with Einstein so far (touch wood) and his teeth have been OK.
Debbie, Einstein & Morgan
RIP Bailey 02/11/2009
RIP Tara 10/05/2007