Author Topic: Biting at my legs and ripping my clothes.  (Read 3418 times)

Offline dawn

Re: Biting at my legs and ripping my clothes.
« Reply #30 on: August 01, 2016, 07:27:44 PM »

Henry was a nightmare as a puppy, I had many a coat, jumper, full poo bag ( yes full) , ripped! He always got over excited and started jumping and biting. When he got like this I would give him something to do to calm him down a bit. Mostly puppy sits, down, stays that sort of thing.....something to break the jumping.....

We also found cheap food and treats sent him loopy too, so we swapped to food with no additives, colours etc. That helped too. And regular crate naps, because he never rested himself.....and days off when I roped in family and friends to help...Like many I didn't like puppyhood at all!

Good luck, yours will slowly improve........ :bigarmhug: :bigarmhug: :bigarmhug:

Offline Jane S

• Administrator
« Reply #31 on: August 02, 2016, 09:31:32 AM »
If you're in the Yorkshire area (I'm guessing you are based on your trainer), you could try Mark (Top Barks), COL member & Cocker owner with lots of experience with Cockers : http://www.topbarksfordogs.co.uk/index.html
Jane

Offline sodpot2000

« Reply #32 on: August 02, 2016, 01:42:31 PM »
Dawn's comments on additives reminded me of my old cocker Sophie ("the Sodpot") named for her occasionally challenging behaviour in puppy-hood. We learned that any sort of artificial colours or additives sent her wild and it would take a long walk to clear it out of her system. Definitely worth watching out for.

Offline Blueberry

• Donator
« Reply #33 on: August 02, 2016, 03:44:59 PM »
Thanks all.  Well, for the past two days he has been a different dog altogether!
The only thing I have changed is that I am using a double ended leash with his harness, and he is so much better walking with it than any other leash I've tried.  No refusing to walk since I started using it - hurrah!
Apart from that, he has been more obedient generally, and even people in my village have commented on how much better he's doing.
He's even sleeping better!
I have absolutely no idea why things have changed, or why things were so bad at the weekend, for that matter.  It's a mystery!
He does not have any treats to speak of.  He gets his Nutriment, and I might give him a pizzle or a chewdles biscuit, or a bone  if I want to distract him for a bit, and cocktail sausages cut into pieces for training treats - other than those, he has no 'human' food whatsoever, and I intend it to remain that way.

Offline Theo961

• Donator
« Reply #34 on: August 02, 2016, 03:58:19 PM »
That's good news.  :D
I must admit I still have times when Reese who is very good most of the time is still a real cockerdile. I can see most of his teeth are through now,  but have been putting his mad moments down to the joy of teething.... Bless him! Not sure myself how long this phase goes on for but sure we will need support from the good people on COL for more phases yet....teenage times coming up!  >:D

Offline Londongirl

• Donator
« Reply #35 on: August 02, 2016, 04:35:12 PM »
I remember well that Henry's behaviour would be markedly worse for a couple of days just before a developmental leap. Sounds this has happened with Blue.
Rachael (me) and Henry (him)

Offline Blueberry

• Donator
« Reply #36 on: August 03, 2016, 08:24:19 AM »
Mmm, teething.  Last night at puppy class, Dexter's mum told me Dexter has lost several teeth this week.  They are very close in age, so Blue can't be far behind!  (He's 17 weeks now)

Offline bizzylizzy

• Donator
  • 🙂 Jayne
« Reply #37 on: August 03, 2016, 09:18:42 AM »
A kong filled with joghurt and then popped into the freezer can be useful to ease the soreness when they're teething!  :shades:

Offline Bootz482

« Reply #38 on: August 12, 2016, 08:34:28 PM »
Zak is biting too. Only when we are fussing him and he gets too excited. I tell him "a ah" and stop fussing him,sometimes he listens other times he goes for my clothes instead. He has took a liking to the zips lol. Some days are worse than others and i just make the most of the good days and try not to dwell on the bad ones. I get the puppy blues other wise. I hope he continues to get better Blue, you are doing a great job with him (hugs)

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

Offline Blueberry

• Donator
« Reply #39 on: August 12, 2016, 08:42:37 PM »
Thanks!  He's doing really well actually.  I think the biting is just over excitement and because he is teething.  I just play 'statues' if he starts now, and he stops to see why I'm not moving.  If I move and he starts again, I just stop again.  It works a treat.