Author Topic: Food and feeding advice thanks!  (Read 713 times)

Offline Lulabear

Food and feeding advice thanks!
« on: August 10, 2016, 04:09:44 PM »
Hi there. Little gorgeous cooper 11 weeks today is doing brilliantly. We're all Heavily bonded already! Just a quick food question. The breeder suggested 4 feeds a day and suggested 50g dried food (James well beloved) and 50 g wet pouch. This 3 times a day and one small rice pudding meal too.
 I'm finding that he's not finishing his meals. I think it's either too much  in quantity OR  he's actually not that keen on the dried jWB food OR I need to drop a feed.

I am also giving him treats tiny pieces for training treats so maybe that is filling him up too but he seems to like the wet food but not the dry...
Poos good (can't believe I've written that!) so it's not unsettled tum. I wonder what you think? Best wishes

Offline Londongirl

• Donator
Re: Food and feeding advice thanks!
« Reply #1 on: August 10, 2016, 04:43:53 PM »
That does sound a lot for a little 'un. 100g a meal? I know they eat a bit more when they're growing like topsy but I'd be surprised if he can fit that amount in his tum. Henry is nearly one and has 80g of dry food twice a day plus about the equivalent of a chicken breast or 80g of cheese in reward treats spread through the rest of the day.

I've always found the websites of the food manufacturers great for feeding guides, so perhaps check there.
Rachael (me) and Henry (him)

Offline Markr64

• Donator
« Reply #2 on: August 10, 2016, 07:37:33 PM »
Yes that does sound like a lot of food for a little one, check the recommended level and see how you get on with that.

Offline BobnDot

• Donator
« Reply #3 on: August 10, 2016, 10:00:57 PM »
Neither of ours were happy with JWB so we went over to Acana puppy/junior food which they loved. It's a kibble but we added a small amount of warm water to it.

We were feeding them 100g a day split into three meals at three months old then up to 150g a day before shifting to the adult version at a year old.

300g of food a day, plus a rice pudding, does seem to be quite a lot.

Bob.

Offline Lulabear

« Reply #4 on: August 12, 2016, 10:37:03 PM »
Thanks so much!  Plus of course training treats!!  I'll cut down!