Author Topic: What do you feed when you can't feed raw  (Read 2072 times)

Offline MANDYANDALFIE

What do you feed when you can't feed raw
« on: July 28, 2016, 01:02:19 PM »
Hi All,

I normally feed Alfie Nutriment raw food using their frozen trays which I credit for solving all the issues he's had in the past with sensitive skin, runny poo, smelly ears, etc.  But 2 or 3 times each year we go to Italy for a few days and I need to find an alternative food for him to eat during these periods.  Does anybody have any recommendations?  I'd prefer a kibble for convenience but tins/trays would be fine so long as no refrigeration is needed.

Thanks

Offline Blueberry

• Donator
Re: What do you feed when you can't feed raw
« Reply #1 on: July 28, 2016, 01:23:26 PM »
I use Nutriment for Blue too.  Before I decided to go raw, I bought a bag of Orijen kibble, but in the end I didn't start him on it.  Recently, when he went off his food due to the heat, I opened the Orijen and gave him some, and he seemed to like it.  I also took some when we went out for the day, and gave it to him at lunchtime - so much easier than transporting raw food.
When he has had the Orijen, his poo is still firm, but there is slightly more bulk to it, which I suppose is not surprising. 

Offline Finvarra

• Milo, best of dogs
    • Gaia Art
« Reply #2 on: July 28, 2016, 01:45:11 PM »
I've been toying with the idea of switching Dylan to raw, he is currently on Evolution kibble and is doing fine on it, but I often add a little wet food for. Writes, and he loves that and leaves the kibble. I'm not convinced that kibble is good for their teeth etc., but our problem is similar to,yours, in that we are now retired and go,away in our motorhome for,weeks,at a time. There is a small,freezer in it, but we tend to,go to the wilds in Scotlamd away from large pet,shops, and last year we spent three months in France, while we were in between dogs, had heard they are not big on raw food. A few weeks ago I saw something about some raw food that was,dried, and you added water to,reconstitute it, here's the link
http://www.petsathome.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/en/pets/pure-pet-food-duck-delight-500g-%28online-only%29
It's quite expensive, and I've done nothing about it yet as I about eight kilos,of Evolution left. Be interested to hear the thoughts of raw feeders on this.

Lesley and Dylan
Remembering All the dogs of my life, especially Milo

Offline Patp

• Donator
  • Jinley
« Reply #3 on: July 28, 2016, 01:46:53 PM »
Jinley is fed half raw and half wet trays for convenience.  They are vac packed and dont need to be kept in the fridge.  PAH do a good range that are grain free. 

Offline Mudmagnets

• Site Member
  • My boys
« Reply #4 on: July 28, 2016, 01:50:39 PM »
Naturediet wet food here
Remembering Smudge 23/11/2006 - 3/8/2013, and Branston 30/8/14 - 28/10/22 both now at the Bridge.

Offline lescef

« Reply #5 on: July 28, 2016, 03:00:49 PM »
Before we went raw (Nutriment) we were on Fish4dogs kibble which suited my two other than putting on weight. It was considered a good quality kibble.
When we changed from kibble to raw we were told that because it was a good quality food the dogs wouldn't have any stomach upsets etc, changing from one to the other and they didn't.
Lesley, Maddie and Bramble

Offline Finvarra

• Milo, best of dogs
    • Gaia Art
« Reply #6 on: July 28, 2016, 07:24:18 PM »
Nature diet is cooked, steamed in the trays, not raw.

Lesley and Dylan

Offline Theo961

• Donator
« Reply #7 on: July 28, 2016, 09:32:58 PM »
I feed Reese on orijen in the morning  and luna & me raw patties in the evening. If I am away and not able to feed the raw then I will replace it with a wet food such as milles wolfheart, lilys kitchen or wainwright's. Reese has never had any problems with this.

Offline Pearly

• Donator
  • Pearl, Coral, Sally, Purdey and Kukri
« Reply #8 on: July 28, 2016, 10:38:42 PM »
Natures Menu do pouches of food which compliments their frozen raw food and is much easier when travelling.  We now have four Cockers so it's not viable to use the pouches (we'd need a caravan just for their food!) I pack as much into the freezer and cold box as I can and find a butcher locally to supply bones and supermarkets for meat, veg and fruit.  They are better fed than we are!

Offline James+Carly

« Reply #9 on: August 01, 2016, 10:32:20 PM »
Natures menu also do a dried raw food. We bought duck and venison and Oscar loves it if we go away or we use as a treat if we go on long walks. You can add water to it also to make it a little sloppy.

Offline MANDYANDALFIE

« Reply #10 on: August 02, 2016, 08:25:21 PM »
Thanks for all the replies.  The Nature's Menu Superfood Crunch looks really interesting so I'll get some and try it before we travel.  It would also be a good thing to keep in the house just in case I forget to defrost his normal.

Offline Finvarra

• Milo, best of dogs
    • Gaia Art
« Reply #11 on: August 03, 2016, 12:00:26 PM »
Didn't know about the Natures menu dried food, will look into it when we get back from our travels.

Lesley and Dylan

Offline James+Carly

« Reply #12 on: August 09, 2016, 10:23:16 PM »
Yes we now keep a box at home in case we forget to defrost the night before  :005: