Author Topic: Retching/coughing?  (Read 585 times)

Offline PollySpaull

Retching/coughing?
« on: July 30, 2016, 10:45:55 AM »
Recently Monty has been retching/coughing. It's almost as if he's trying to bring up something that's stuck? He does make a noise as if being sick but nothing comes out. It's been going on for a few days, but he seems totally fine in himself otherwise, eating and drinking normally etc.
Anyone else had this problem? Otherwise it's a vets trip for us! Thanks!

Offline Markr64

• Donator
Re: Retching/coughing?
« Reply #1 on: July 30, 2016, 10:56:01 AM »
I would have a vet check for peace of mind Polly, it could be he has swallowed a seed or something or maybe just a dry cough.

Offline PollySpaull

« Reply #2 on: July 30, 2016, 10:59:05 AM »
Yeah think I'll pop him down today just to make sure. Thanks mark. Just trying to get a video of him doing it!

Offline Markr64

• Donator
« Reply #3 on: July 30, 2016, 11:01:30 AM »
I think it will be nothing but be safe with that cute boy.

Offline Mudmagnets

• Site Member
  • My boys
« Reply #4 on: July 30, 2016, 11:08:35 AM »
Not had that problem, but hope it is nothing serious  :luv:
Remembering Smudge 23/11/2006 - 3/8/2013, and Branston 30/8/14 - 28/10/22 both now at the Bridge.

Offline Archie bean

• Donator
  • Archie. RIP bridge babies Sherwood and Dickon.
    • Emma Graham Harpist
« Reply #5 on: July 30, 2016, 11:22:02 AM »
Brilliant idea to get video if you can. Archie did exactly the same thing a few years ago. Luckily I spotted him chewing the wheat at the edge of the field we were walking round and it coincided with the start of the coughing. He wasn't doing it when I took him to the vet but luckily I had managed to get it on video. Because of that they sedated him for a good luck and he had 5 spikes of the long hairs from the wheat stuck into his throat. They had worked their way well in and the vet said that if we had left it much longer they would have been invisible. He pulled them out and Archie was absolutely fine.
Good lucky to Monty. x

Offline bizzylizzy

• Donator
  • 🙂 Jayne
« Reply #6 on: July 30, 2016, 11:26:15 AM »
A friend of mine had this with her labrador, the vet suggested it was just an irritation and was nothing serious. Three days later she finally coughed up a small stone which must have somehow been caught in ther throat. Definately worth a vet's visit I would say.

Offline wendall

• Donator
  • Honey and Pip
« Reply #7 on: July 30, 2016, 11:32:26 AM »
It could be kennel cough, even though dogs get immunised against this they can still get it. Speak to your vet first as they wont want you in the waiting room if it is. Hope all is ok X
Rosie,rest in peace my beautiful little girl, you will be in my heart forever. 2/2/12-24/10/12

Offline PollySpaull

« Reply #8 on: July 30, 2016, 11:40:31 AM »
Thanks everyone. That's really interesting about the wheat. Where we walk is usually around fields of crops and they are growing lots of it this year and he snuffles around the edges of the field.
Will give the vets a ring.

Offline PollySpaull

« Reply #9 on: July 30, 2016, 11:43:29 AM »
Can I ask if Archie was coughing constantly? Monty seems to be doing it maybe twice a day, and seems fine the rest of the time.

Offline Archie bean

• Donator
  • Archie. RIP bridge babies Sherwood and Dickon.
    • Emma Graham Harpist
« Reply #10 on: July 30, 2016, 01:20:51 PM »
I caught it really quickly because I saw him eat the wheat and then he started coughing about 5 mins later. We saw the vets the same day. He wasn't coughing constantly though, he didn't cough once at the vet hence why the video was so useful.