Author Topic: Please help Dixie being selectively deaf!  (Read 584 times)

Offline Bluepaula

Please help Dixie being selectively deaf!
« on: July 30, 2016, 11:47:02 AM »
Have loved this forum for all support. Having Dixie this past year has been brilliant life affirming experience of not hard work at times! I thought we were through the worst as he left puppyhood and turned 1 wrong! His recall has always been great and nothing enjoy more than walking through fields watching him off lead joyful romping about then coming back when called. It is still like this 90% of time but there are times when he seems to get scent of rabbit or something and he becomes completely deaf to recall instructions.  I am worried this will get him into trouble or lost. The other day I read in one of the threads about someone who had their dog "done" this problem disappeared? Is that true for others or make no difference? What do we do to get back out fun walks again? Go back to basics? Please help feeling disappointed and fed up >:D ps he is great dog just wanted this sorted!

Offline bizzylizzy

• Donator
  • 🙂 Jayne
Re: Please help Dixie being selectively deaf!
« Reply #1 on: July 30, 2016, 01:43:27 PM »
Turning a deaf ear is pretty normal at around this age apparantly, - Humphrey's just 13 months and we're having to go back to basics on quite a few things. Its not that they're deliberately being disobedient but once there's a distraction, particularly a smell, they literally just switch off. I have held a particularly tasty treat on the end of Humphrey's nose to attract attention and he's ignored it, its as if he's on another planet.
I watched a programme on television recently about having dogs neutered and while many believe it does alter the behaviour, others, including in this case a veterinary professor of medicine, claim that it doesn't, - there is also a voice that claims the hunting instinct increases.
Our trainer suggested using a long (10 meter) lead for a few weeks. I had a lot of reservations and hated the idea of limiting Humphrey's freedom as, like you, I loved to see him enjoying himself racing around off lead. However, lots of people here also recommended it so we tried it out and for a couple of months we used it consistently, training whistle recall at the same time. Every time he turned around to look at me or came back to check in, I praised him. After a couple of weeks, I let the go of  themend of the lead and he dragged it behind. He's now off lead again and very rarely strays too far.
Personally, I'd consider giving this a go before you resort to neutering, - unless ofcourse Dixie has any other medical issues.
Best of luck!

Offline Bluepaula

Re: Please help Dixie being selectively deaf!
« Reply #2 on: July 30, 2016, 01:58:21 PM »
Thanks bizzylizzy that's excellent advice and I will give it a go many thanks